No announcement yet.

Up land bird hunting and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife took this one of our 7 mo old pup this weekend with a large and still flapping chukar. I just posted this pic on another thread, I think its worthy of two posts but I know I'm biased
    Attached Files

Comment

This is Drake. He is 1 year and 1 wk old (and 85 lbs). He made his first 3 hunting retrieves this weekend. He was a little wound up when we first got to the blind, but ended up doing well. Looking forward to the future with him!
      Attached Files

Comment

I used to have a kennel full of setters and pointers.
        Got so hard to find day leases for quail, that as my dogs died off, I never replaced them. Sure miss those days!!!

Comment

My Silver Lab, Blu. All upland bird - Quail, Pheasant, Grouse... hope to get him back to Tx next year and see what he things about Dove. May be a challenge, he loves the point. Still working on the "whoa"... he likes to hit and hold the point, then starts to creep. That said, he's a retriever who learned to point, so I cant hold it against him. Just have to knock the rust off of him the first hunt of each year.
          First pic is on quail. Second - doing what retrievers do. Third - the impatient creep because I wasnt moving fast enough for him. Last - The pic with the pheasant on the run was last year, it was his first runner... he wasnt sure what to do with it, so he just locked on and stopped. If the bird holds, that's when he gets a little impatient and starts to creep.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like fun

Comment

Up land bird hunting and dogs

Annual Dalhart Pheasant Hunt. Put in about 15 miles in two days walking with my pup. Mox did great!

Last edited by James; 12-17-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Beautiful dogs guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here are my two knuckleheads. The golden unfortunately is in her first year of retirement at almost 11 years old. Wish I knew how many birds were shot over her but suffice to say, a lot.

The English setter was picked up just in time for the quail population to crash. She performed admirably on pheasant last week though.

Comment

She put in work on Sunday. My best memory was when she was 2 and there was a wounded dove that she was after and after about 300 yards she caught it about 4 feet in the air. Every one in the field was watching and I was hollering don't shoot. When she jumped up and snatched out of the air everyone was hollering. I wish there had been video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s my Draht, Lollie, putting in work and then relaxing.

Comment

Its summer time in South Africa with the temperature going into the upper 90’s on the Escarpment at 6700ft above sea level.

I prefer not to take Ryker to the veld at this time of the year due to the risk of encountering venomous snakes increases dramatically.

I work on his discipline in the yard and when the neighbors pigeons come and sit we work on pointing discipline. He is 13 months old so discipline is something I keep hammering into him in preparation for the 2019 hunting season.

Comment

He is a bute Gerhard!!

I love that super-ticky roan color, no doubt. But the white patches seem to make it a little easier to spot in thick cover.

Good looking point too!

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                            He is a bute Gerhard!!

I love that super-ticky roan color, no doubt. But the white patches seem to make it a little easier to spot in thick cover.

Good looking point too!

Thank you,

Yes I love his colors and his personality.

His pet hate at the moment is Mousebirds that dare go eat his apples in his apple tree.

If we are busy working on an exercise and he hears a mousebird calling he loose interest immediately and want to go sort out the mousebird.

Then its work to get him to refocus and complete the exercise, but thats how the basic discipline training goes I guess ...[emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
                              Its summer time in South Africa with the temperature going into the upper 90’s on the Escarpment at 6700ft above sea level.

I prefer not to take Ryker to the veld at this time of the year due to the risk of encountering venomous snakes increases dramatically.

I work on his discipline in the yard and when the neighbors pigeons come and sit we work on pointing discipline. He is 13 months old so discipline is something I keep hammering into him in preparation for the 2019 hunting season.

I approve this post! I’ve hunted with some very “instinctive” dogs whose behavior was horrible. Their owners always chalk it up to being a high strung/high drive pointer. No, they just aren’t required to be obedient!

Comment

Working...
                              X