No announcement yet.

Homemade Fly trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried doing that with a 2-liter to catch mosquitoes. I mixed some yeast in with the sugar because mosquitoes are supposed to be drawn to the carbon dioxide created. I didn't get any mosquitoes but got TONS of flies.

Since I was using a 2 liter I just took the lid off, didn't drill anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWhey View Post
      You can take a glass jar, like a pickle one, punch or drill holes in the lid and inside put a hot dog weiner, some syrup, a little water. Works good too
      How big do the holes need to be?

Comment

I do mine between 3/16" and 1/4"

Comment

I'm gonna make some of these and throw the ones I got from TSC away, they stink really bad.

Comment

I may try this in the feed room of my barn. THOUSANDS of flies with this rain. Heck, maybe I'll tape one of these to each leg of Nathan's steer.

Comment

I need about 30 of em. LOL

Comment

If only it got them danged skeeters too!!! gonna have to make a couple of these for sure!

Comment

That is cool

Comment

This is a good project for my grandaughter. Durn flies are about to take over the world around here.

Comment

Got to do this no question about it!

Comment

I have tried this once and had zero luck. I also bought a $11 fly trap and it didn't work. What is the water/sugar mixture you use? Do you boil the sugar water to dissolve the sugar? I need this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWhey View Post
                          oh, and if you have fruit flies inside...take a glass pour a few oz of apple cider vinegar the lay saran wrap over it (with a rubber band holding it taut) cut slits in the saran wrap. The fruit flies go in and cant leave. It's very efficient.
                          Yep, fightin' them sob's right now. I started using a cereal bowl and let the saran wrap sag down in the bowl. When I had it stretched tight, one would find it's way out now and then.

I had flies in the garage real bad during all the rain. Went ahead and tried the ziploc samich bag with water and a penny it. Didn't think it would work but had nothing to loose....but flies. As of right now, I have to say it works cuz I don't see hardly any in the garage. I hung four of em spaced evenly in the garage with one being near the back door.

Comment

In!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                                I'm gonna make some of these and throw the ones I got from TSC away, they stink really bad.
                                Ain't that the truth and not that great. This is better all day long!

Comment

Working...
                                X