Question about electric burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about electric burner

I am in the process of building a vertical sausage smoker. It will only be used for sausage and made out of a 30" piece if pipe that's 5' tall. I'm wondering about a heat source. I have a old compressor tank I can use for heat but it would be hard to control the smoke and temp. I was thinking about a electric grate with a thermostat that I could set a cast iron pan filled with wood chips. What do you guys think. This will be sitting under my new she'd I just built for the smoker that I will set the smoker on concrete under.

I would use a propane burner... but electric should work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
      I would use a propane burner... but electric should work as well.
      Why a propane burner?

Comment

Easier to regulate the temperature. I smoke cheese and fish at work and utilize a gas 24000 btu burner. I can keep it as low as 90 degrees or crank it up and hold at 500 once the cabinet is hot enough.

Comment

I spent a lot of time trying to build a smoke source for my cold smoker. I use mine for sausage and cheese. The cast iron pot over a hot plate works but seemed to require a lot of tending to keep it going. I finally landed on a pellet smoker from A-MAZE-N Products.
          https://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12
          I have the 5X8. it will burn around 9 hours with no intervention. Plenty of smoke for my 5' X 2'X2' smoke box.

Comment

I have used an electric hot plate controlled my "t" stat. This works very well.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. That amazing smoker is a pretty neat idea.

Comment

I like Chef's idea. I've got a couple extra air tanks. Now to decide if I want to sacrifice a propane burner....

Sorry Aggies are slow, but does the Amaze N smoker plug in? Do you just put pellets around the element?

Comment

Saw on another site while searching propane powered smokers. A guy had one of these in a custom built wood smoker. Did the same trick with the skillet and wood over the burner. Supposedly can really play with the heat level on this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X