Any Ford mechanics on board...misfiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
    Don’t just replace one coil or boot. When one goes bad, replace them all. My last f150 was a 00. My current f150 is an 07. Combined mileage is almost 450k...it’s your coil and boots. Replace them all, especially if the current set has 60k on them...it’s time.
    I'm leaning that way. Wonder about the plugs. Might as ell replace those as well. I hope that is all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      I'm leaning that way. Wonder about the plugs. Might as ell replace those as well. I hope that is all it is.
      Yep, I’d do the plugs also. Not sure what year your boys truck it...but the plugs can be a PITA.

Comment

I've replaced plugs and coils a bazillion times in my 2005 f150. 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
          Yep, I’d do the plugs also. Not sure what year your boys truck it...but the plugs can be a PITA.
          It will be a royal PITA. It is a 2002. the plugs are in a dang tube. I will blow out the tubes with air before pulling them.

Comment

It most probably IS the plugs.....

Be VERY thankful it's an '02.....trust me....that'll be a breeze compared to the 3v
            Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-08-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Be careful with #7 or #8...back passenger. Plug socket, torch and luck. Grit your teeth and stick your tongue out to the left....maybe it’s the right. Albeit, it’s a proven method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the 3V

Comment

Any Ford mechanics on board...misfiring issue

3v per cylinder.

Edit: post ‘02 5.4L

Somebody who knows what’s up will correct me

Comment

Originally posted by TFord250 View Post
                    Be careful with #7 or #8...back passenger. Plug socket, torch and luck. Grit your teeth and stick your tongue out to the left....maybe it’s the right. Albeit, it’s a proven method.

I think 7 & 8 are on the drivers side bank

Comment

I think 7 & 8 are on the drivers side bank

You sir are correct.

It’s #4 that is always the burden.

Comment

Originally posted by TFord250 View Post
                        You sir are correct.

It’s #4 that is always the burden.

Took me an hour to change the passenger side one that’s close to the firewall. If it’s number 4...I HATE #4 and would love to throat punch the Ford designer.

Comment

Echo Slicefixer. Only use the motorcraft plugs. Done it a couple times on mine and it’s not that bad on 4.6. Definitely use compressed air to clean out

Comment

Change all plugs and coil packs and run heavier weight oil. 15w-40 in winter and 20w-50 in summer.

The cam position sensors rely on oil pressure to move and when there’s not enough it will not return to idle position and run smoothly. Run heavier oil to overcome worn seals and regain the lost pressure

Comment

I had a 99 5.4 and after 100k miles i replaced 3 of them one at a time as they went bad. Finally just replaced all of them and spark plugs at once with new. I'd stick with motorcraft parts and make sure to gap the spark plugs like they should be. My truck would misfire too like that when a coil pack was bad under a light load. They're very finicky

Comment

I had a 2000 F150 5.4 and I chance my tail all over that thing with the same issues. Misfire codes, timing codes, all kinds of stuff. It wound up being the MAF. That stupid thing throws all kinds of weird codes.

Comment

Working...
                                X