I'm making a bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm making a bow

I went to NE Oklahoma and attended a Cherokee bow making class back in late October. I am working on an Osage Longbow. We took the wood from a Bois D' Arch tree the instructor cut down last fall. I split the wood into several pieces. I found the growth ring and used a draw knife to whittle the stump so it looks similiar to the front of a bow. Because of deer season and me just putting it off, I'm just getting back to it. I have the front smooth and looks good. I am unsure of what I should do next. Should I cut from the back to get my limbs thickness, or to cut the sides of the stump to get my bow's width? I am also looking for advice on a good length. My draw length is 29, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the length of a long bow. I would like to continue doing this project using the traditional Cherokee way, but the class ran out of time. Any advice?

The longer the better,less stress on the limbs.I would get a copy of The bowyers bible vol 1,Jim Hamm has a whole chapter on osage.I would like to attend one of his workshops,next time he puts one on.I wish I could help more but I am still a bowyer in the early stages.I will tell you layout is critical and that is covered pretty in depth in that book.Where abouts do you live?

Comment

I have volume 1&2 of the bowyers bible if you would like to borrow them. Good luck on your bow. I have succesfully broken 14 of them as of yesterday. If ya want the books shoot me a PM.

Comment

I live in Corinth. South of Denton and North of Lewisville. I think I may have vol. one. I will check and get back to you. Thanks. How are most of those bow breaking?

Comment

I have "The Archer's and Bowhunter's Bible" by H. Lea Lawrence. It doesn't say anything about bowmaking. Hog Hunter, I'd like to borrow those books if you don't mind.

Comment

I sent ya a PM. Sent me your name address and phone number and I will mail them out to you.

Comment

PM sent.
              Thanks again

Comment

I'd like to see pics when you're done.

I think no less than 66" is recommended with that draw length. Not sure though.

Comment

can you take pics as you go? I want to make a bow one of these days. I have some Black walnut I want to use for the riser in my garage now and am going to be getting some Osage as well. A guy at work as bunch of starts goiong comin up on his property he said that I can have. I would love to landscape my whole yard with them. No body around knows the worth of those trees now adays.
                  Chris Kiefner

Comment

I have a few pics that I can post on Tuesday. I'll keep you updated as I go. Thanks for the input

Comment

great!!!!!!
                      Chris Kiefner

Comment

pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of my bow in progress.

Comment

In the first picture, we are splitting the Osage. In the second, I worked the draw knife to strip it down to the growth ring. Notice the wood bee burrows that made it a fun afternoon.

Comment

I just got my book in. Cherokee Bows and Arrows by Al Herrin. I am stoked! It has alot of useful information.

Comment

kdc I have been wanting to learn the same things you are working on.I work in aubrey maybe we can work together or you could show me some of the ropes & anything else as you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X