Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #301
EdO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever, Whenever
Default Identity crises

SWMBO drinks diet Dr. Pepper. I like Lone Star. The two cans looks very much alike after she's had a few Dr. Pepper's, or is it after I've had a few Lone Stars. Anyway, they get to looking an awful lot alike. It's a terrible feeling when you're expecting a fine American Beer and get a slug of Dr. Pepper. Somethings gonna change. Think I'll switch her to root beer.
EdO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #302
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

Yeah Yeah all, If I was in Water Buffalo country I would do it, I have request to shoot, lions, aint seen one, a Giraffee aint seen one of them either and now a water buffalo, LOL If I seen one I would shoot it anyway and get put in jail LOL and these jails are worse than a mexican jail.

Ed you keep them pigs safe a guarded for me and hide them from Matt LOL.

Seroius though I have seen a few monkeys and birds like I have never seen, I am in the Jungle not the plains, which I guess speaks for the lack of large game..

Google Kisangani, DRC and Dungu DRC and see what ya come up with, but all is good here, Thanks Tim I did remember my arrows, In bad guy country and staying busy..
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #303
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: fort hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post
Yeah Yeah all, If I was in Water Buffalo country I would do it, I have request to shoot, lions, aint seen one, a Giraffee aint seen one of them either and now a water buffalo, LOL If I seen one I would shoot it anyway and get put in jail LOL and these jails are worse than a mexican jail.

Ed you keep them pigs safe a guarded for me and hide them from Matt LOL.

Seroius though I have seen a few monkeys and birds like I have never seen, I am in the Jungle not the plains, which I guess speaks for the lack of large game..

Google Kisangani, DRC and Dungu DRC and see what ya come up with, but all is good here, Thanks Tim I did remember my arrows, In bad guy country and staying busy..
shoot me a monkey i need 3 of them
fthoodhoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #304
BirdRanger
Ten Point

I can give that one a whirl but most of them are chained down in the city, no kidding, the amount of time I have spent in the jungle and I have only seen one small group of them. LOL that is why I am going to get to Zambia to hunt, here just practice for there...From what I hear they have some great fishing on the Congo River so I may check that out.. Got them big toothed tiger fish on the discovery channel..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #305
flipajig
Four Point

Hunt In: any where

Bird you forgot to pack me in your duffle bag LOL. Fishing for them toothy fish would be fun but watch your fingers.. good luck over there.
Flip.
flipajig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #306
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Let ya know what happens this weekend going to the Congo fish traps in Buyoma, should be pretty cool from what I hear from the locals they got some big *** fish in the river. But like Tim say no picture no proof so I am gonna give it a try cant hurt and sure hope I dont fall out of the boat after 1 to many beers LOL.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #307
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Let ya know what happens this weekend going to the Congo fish traps in Buyoma, should be pretty cool from what I hear from the locals they got some big *** fish in the river. But like Tim say no picture no proof so I am gonna give it a try cant hurt and sure hope I dont fall out of the boat after 1 to many beers LOL.
Going to be a river monster
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #308
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Video is even better. Have fun, and remember not to lip the fish when you pull them in, if you do, you might end up shooting back tension.
ballisticbudda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #309
EdO
Ten Point

Went fishing this morning. Took an 80 year old with me so was a little limited in what I could and couldn't do. Didn't do much. Got two dinks and that was it in a little over two hours. Good spot, usually do real well in it. I'm gonna blame it on the cold front. That's my excuse for today.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #310
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Any day of fishing Ed is still better than working, or honeydoo lists.

Tim I will keep that in mind with the lipping of the fish.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #311
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Kevin, the weekend is almost here. Please ensure the batteries in the cameras are fully charged. Have you thought about bowfishing for some of those toothy fish?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #312
flipajig
Four Point

Hunt In: any where

When is the club to have another 3-D shoot im looking forward to sticking something.
FLIP
flipajig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #313
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipajig View Post
When is the club to have another 3-D shoot im looking forward to sticking something.
FLIP
Beats me. Should be soon though, Tim seems to have a handle on all things 3D.

I'm just gonna kick back and have a bottle Shiner Kosmos Reserve (maybe two, or three, or....) and get ready for the ball game. Probably go fishing in the morning. Then again, maybe not. I need some structure in my life .... NOT!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #314
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Today my guys caught two wild pigs about 80 pounds each in what they call a live trap looks just like ours but made of bamboo, we are gonna do 2 hogs on the pit tomorrow will have pics posted on this adventure, my fishing has just been postponed LOL till next week.

This is gonna be primitive cooking for sure I can imagine...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #315
EdO
Ten Point

Sounds good Kevin. Piggies are always good munchies. At least your not stuck in a city someplace. Sounds like a fun place. Don't know for how long, but at least for awhile.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #316
BirdRanger
Ten Point

I hear ya Ed it is not even close to a town persay, more like a few bamboo huts and our tents, it is fun I guess you have to enjoy what you are doing and I am.

Dont forget to wish all the moms a happy mothers day, and dont forget Matt either, he is wearing both a skirt and pants while his misses if off in the sand box..

Will post pics soon, hog is on the pit, I have no idea how the troops are cooking theirs and I probably dont want too LOL.

Be safe all and enjoy
Old 05-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #317
EdO
Ten Point

I sure hope these are decent rests, because if they're not I just wasted a whole bunch of beer money. Should have asked before I did it, I guess.

QAD UR PRO HD CAMO REST
Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #318
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdO View Post
I sure hope these are decent rests, because if they're not I just wasted a whole bunch of beer money. Should have asked before I did it, I guess.

QAD UR PRO HD CAMO REST
QADs are very popular. Only problem that I have with them is initially indexing the vanes so that I have clearance.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #319
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticbudda View Post
QADs are very popular. Only problem that I have with them is initially indexing the vanes so that I have clearance.
still have problem after changeing lancher arms? if so its just in the timeing
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #320
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

any luck getting the scores Tim?
hrdwrkncwby76 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #321
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
still have problem after changeing lancher arms? if so its just in the timeing
I'm good now, got the QAD on the Reezen, and a Limb Driver on the Z7. I don't think I will buy another QAD. My finger still works so I can hold the arrow on the shelf while stalking.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #322
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
any luck getting the scores Tim?
Not yet, I think the score cards got filed in the circular file after the shoot. I looked for them the other day, both counter guys were busy then. I'll try again as I will be at the store a few times this week.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #323
TXArrowSlinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Huachuca, Benson, Bisbee, anywhere I am invited, and anywhere possible!!!!

Jsut a quick hello to my deer stickin, hog slayin, turkey callin, fish catchin brothers on the Green Screen! Hope all is well back in the HOOD. I have only been here in Iraq for a little over two months and I am going crazy.......I wake up at night in cold sweats, trembling, shaking, and screaming! I thought I was having issues........but realized I am just going through "Slingin Arrow" withdrawls.....LOL! Can't wait to get back into the game when I return. Until then I could on you guys to post up as many pics and post stories of your adventures afield. It is one of the only things keeping me going while I am here....I live vicariously through your adventures......SOOOOOO come on brothers....get to posting! Take care and talk to y'all soon!
TXArrowSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #324
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: FT Hood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
Jsut a quick hello to my deer stickin, hog slayin, turkey callin, fish catchin brothers on the Green Screen! Hope all is well back in the HOOD. I have only been here in Iraq for a little over two months and I am going crazy.......I wake up at night in cold sweats, trembling, shaking, and screaming! I thought I was having issues........but realized I am just going through "Slingin Arrow" withdrawls.....LOL! Can't wait to get back into the game when I return. Until then I could on you guys to post up as many pics and post stories of your adventures afield. It is one of the only things keeping me going while I am here....I live vicariously through your adventures......SOOOOOO come on brothers....get to posting! Take care and talk to y'all soon!
You didn't take the bow?
jbitt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #325
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Wyoming, Fort Hood

Down to less than 30 days and I will be back in the states!!!!!!!!
HoffDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #326
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffDawg View Post
Down to less than 30 days and I will be back in the states!!!!!!!!
Hope it goes by fast for you
No-Walkin STX Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #327
Denverdale
Four Point

Hunt In: Any place aloud

Lookie,lookie...
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=209166
Denverdale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #328
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Figured I would try this here first. I need to see if anyone has a trailer big enough to haul a suzuki samurai on that I could have my wife borrow. Or if some one would be willing to go with my wife and pick it up for me. It isn't registered or inspected right now. Could give $50 for gas. Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #329
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Figured I would try this here first. I need to see if anyone has a trailer big enough to haul a suzuki samurai on that I could have my wife borrow. Or if some one would be willing to go with my wife and pick it up for me. It isn't registered or inspected right now. Could give $50 for gas. Thanks
Just to let you know that you haven't been ignored. I don't have a suitable trailer,. Have a little 4 x 8 with about a 1000 pound capacity. If I had a trailer, I'd probably do it for free (depending on the legth of the haul). The Samauri will make a good hunting rig for sure. Good luck on getting it home.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #330
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

No trailer here

Nice to see some much needed rain though,will be able to try out the new skins this weekend
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #331
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:

I have a 5x8 I don't think thay is big enough for a Sami, also I have access to a 16 ft but I don't have time my self to help her. My FIL has the 16ft it has bent axles but I have used it several times to haul cars. When I bought Ben's car at an auction I put it on with a winch. Then I took it to Dallas to get a camaro.Real sound trailer just heavy as he**
Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #332
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Thanks guys. I think I was a dollar short and a day late on the sami. Freaking hate being in Iraq...LOL.. Good news is, I only got like 25 more days.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #333
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks guys. I think I was a dollar short and a day late on the sami. Freaking hate being in Iraq...LOL.. Good news is, I only got like 25 more days.
theres a dune buggy on right now even better
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #334
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
No trailer here

Nice to see some much needed rain though,will be able to try out the new skins this weekend

???? Did I miss something?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #335
BirdRanger
Ten Point

I think Matt got some new kicks for the ol Dodge is what I am thinking.

I cant down load any pics from here via email or posting the darn system is way to slow.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #336
EdO
Ten Point

Hostage off, QAD on .... Back yard tuned .... need to make a trip to the range.
Simple and quick installation. At first appeared I may have a riser clearance problem, but once the center shot was adjusted, plenty of room. Just followed the directions on the timing and everything appears good (better be, cost me a lot of beer money).
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #337
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Hostage off, QAD on .... Back yard tuned .... need to make a trip to the range.
Simple and quick installation. At first appeared I may have a riser clearance problem, but once the center shot was adjusted, plenty of room. Just followed the directions on the timing and everything appears good (better be, cost me a lot of beer money).
Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #338
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Sounds like you go a winner there Ed, good thing about being in the Congo is I can live like a king for a 100 a month and I have been ordering stuff for deer season and it is stock piling, new arrow saw, fletching Jig, ground blinds and a few other assorted things I probably dont need but gonna get anyway...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #339
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Sounds like you go a winner there Ed, good thing about being in the Congo is I can live like a king for a 100 a month and I have been ordering stuff for deer season and it is stock piling, new arrow saw, fletching Jig, ground blinds and a few other assorted things I probably dont need but gonna get anyway...
It's all about toys! Need has nothing to do with it. It's way beyond need ... kinda like gotta have. If you think you may have too many; build another shed.

Last edited by EdO; 05-14-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #340
EdO
Ten Point

So, where are all the willey (yes, I can't spell) pig hunters? Have the oinkers gotten to be a little too evasive for the hunters? I hadn't been out in a couple months. Might start heading out again soon, soon as the crowd thins out. All my gear is probably gone by now. But, that's o.k. Don't need it to kill a piggy or two. A gallon of sour corn will do the trick (if I can stand the smell). I wish they were as dumb as deer though. Life would be a whole lot simpler.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #341
camo_cowboy55
Ten Point

Hunt In: lampasas tx, Mountain Home tx

Quote:
found about 10 sheads so far this year couple good ones saw a few hogs the other day out on the northwest side in 63
lol matt i dont think your ever in the woods, i see you more in academy then anywhere else.
camo_cowboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #342
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo_cowboy55 View Post
lol matt i dont think your ever in the woods, i see you more in academy then anywhere else.
you know thats right,lol....there should be a guy paying you a visit he needs to paper tune his bow
Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #343
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Matt did you get any food plots in this year, I got two in on my place and from what the misses tells me they are growning like crazy, I did have someone sneak on my place and steal my SD card out of my camera, or it just could have been one of the kids but I doubt that one. If all goes well I should be back in mid august trying to figure out if I should take vacation during early bow season or beginning of Sept...
Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #344
J-Raz
Spike

Hunt In: ??Need a Place??

Quote:
So, where are all the willey (yes, I can't spell) pig hunters? Have the oinkers gotten to be a little too evasive for the hunters? I hadn't been out in a couple months. Might start heading out again soon, soon as the crowd thins out. All my gear is probably gone by now. But, that's o.k. Don't need it to kill a piggy or two. A gallon of sour corn will do the trick (if I can stand the smell). I wish they were as dumb as deer though. Life would be a whole lot simpler.
I was out Friday checking my camera and feeder and decided to do a little walking to look at the ground after the rain and see where the pigs are traveling these days. Made it by your stand and your pop up is gone. Figured you pulled it out before the storms.
J-Raz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #345
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Think this will get me around? Got a 31's and 33's for it. 1990 Samurai.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #346
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Think this will get me around? Got a 31's and 33's for it. 1990 Samurai.

that should do the trick
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #347
Farmer
Four Point

Hunt In: Any where

Hay Kevin just to let you know I got canned. I am back in IL. sitting at the house getting in shape to be a TRK Driver again. The Army wanted me to PCS to Ft. Hood for a year and I said no thanks. Need something in IL give me a call.
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #348
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Cool brother it is a jacked up thing they did to all you sorry reservist, but there must be a master plan for someones STAR if you will, If you ever decided to do a bit of contracting I can help you out, it will either be in Africa of Afganistan either or but the money is real good and the work not so hard. You are probably better off in Ill anyway. Things here are good, been staying very busy but not to busy if that makes sense. I cant recieve any mail here cause they have no postal service we have to make supply runs from the states if someone is coming or going, that is the part that really sucks donkey you know what. But other than that life is great I got a permanent sunburn..
Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #349
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

HD cool ride needs a little mud on the tires.

I posted a flyer for the Hood Bowhunters 1st shoot this year over on the 3D/Tournament forum here is the link http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...59#post3755959
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #350
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
HD cool ride needs a little mud on the tires.
I posted a flyer for the Hood Bowhunters 1st shoot this year over on the 3D/Tournament forum here is the link http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...59#post3755959

Yeah, I'm gonna work on that soon as I get state side. Got 33's and 31's for it. Not sure which I want to go with. The 33's look alot "meatier".