Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #701
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: fort hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
Have you seen Spell's pics on FB...82 east page?
yep
fthoodhoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #702
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: FT Hood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBen View Post
What ballistic said. Then hang, cape and quarter into the cooler with lots of ice on top. Close the lid and place at enough of a angle to drain the blood and bloody water out over a week. Add ice as you go. Once it's bled out I start de-boning and grind what needs to be grinded into burger and sausage. Cut my steaks then individually vacum seal and freezer wrap. Label and date it then into the freezer it goes.

Hey...we left out this part last year
jbitt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #703
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

AH68 if you have a good year deer processing can get expensive. Therefore I have learned to do it myself. Now when I get down to needing my burger ground and my sausage mixed I will take the boned meat in a bowl with the deer tag to Cospers or any of the other ones around town and they will grind it for you for little or nothing and just charge you for the amount of beef or pork they add for fat. Now I bought myself a good grinder last year because I went through several hogs and was tired of going to the meat market. There are several good old boys around here that will help you out if you ask.
No-Walkin STX Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #704
ArmyHunter68
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: fort hood and surrounding areas

i would like to learn how to do it myself, to me it would be more rewarding and cheaper to do it myself.
ArmyHunter68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #705
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyHunter68 View Post
i would like to learn how to do it myself, to me it would be more rewarding and cheaper to do it myself.
AH68 I saw this link on here not to long ago http://www.eckrich.org/ hope it helps answer some of your questions.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #706
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
AH68 if you have a good year deer processing can get expensive. Therefore I have learned to do it myself. Now when I get down to needing my burger ground and my sausage mixed I will take the boned meat in a bowl with the deer tag to Cospers or any of the other ones around town and they will grind it for you for little or nothing and just charge you for the amount of beef or pork they add for fat. Now I bought myself a good grinder last year because I went through several hogs and was tired of going to the meat market. There are several good old boys around here that will help you out if you ask.
This is interesting. I have called some of the processors before and asked them if I quatered the deer would they process and they always tell me no.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #707
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
This is interesting. I have called some of the processors before and asked them if I quatered the deer would they process and they always tell me no.
Lance Every year I debone my deer and hogs and take them to Cospers or M&M in Lampasas I have had no problems with either one. there has been a lot of times that I shoot the deer on Saturday Hung it in the freezer skinned after the morning hunt on Sunday and deboned it ran the meat to cospers and before I made it out for the afternoon hunt Jay would call me and tell me to come and get my deer or hog.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #708
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Also Cospers want touch a hog unless it is skinned and quartered
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #709
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

This has been good information. I do not have a place to hang a kill. I usually quarter it and keep it in a cooler until I get home to debone it. Last year both deer I killed in East Texas was the toughest meat I had ever eaten. Both deer got quartered up and put in a cooler. When I got home we just cut the meat off the bone, wrapped it and froze it. TOUGH TOUGH
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #710
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

My boys are ages 14, 7 & 5. They have NOT had hunter education and they do NOT have a hunting license. I did get them area access cards. Can they sit in a stand with me?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #711
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
My boys are ages 14, 7 & 5. They have NOT had hunter education and they do NOT have a hunting license. I did get them area access cards. Can they sit in a stand with me?
Lance IAW the fort hood hunting guide pg 25
Only one, armed hunter will be allowed on a stand. Hunters under the age of 15 years
must be accompanied by an unarmed individual 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid Fort Hood Hunting Permit, valid State Hunting License, Area Access Permit and Hunter Education certification. Others may be accompanied only as authorized by the Sportsmenís Center and the Game Warden Office.

If I have every had a hunter ask me if they could do this I would tell them to ask Phill or Judy and once they get permission they are good.
By the way we get a lot of spectators every year and Phill and Judy are fair about it.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #712
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
http://www.sausagemaker.com/71200gre...ytekkutas.aspx

AH68, the above link is from the Sausage Maker up in Buffalo, NY. His family has been in the business for a long time. He has every recipe that I could think of listed, with ingredients and how to prepare the sausage. Great reading. If you want, I'll send you a list of links that I have found over the years that deal with sausage making.

If you want to buy the book, check out amazon, ebay or other online sites. I got mine on ebay. A lot of the stuff is nice to have, but not necessary. The key thing is to get a good meat grinder.
ballisticbudda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #713
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Default Chainsaw, chainsaw, chainsaw!!

Where is Ed?Haven't seen him on here lately.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #714
ArmyHunter68
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticbudda View Post
http://www.sausagemaker.com/71200gre...ytekkutas.aspx

AH68, the above link is from the Sausage Maker up in Buffalo, NY. His family has been in the business for a long time. He has every recipe that I could think of listed, with ingredients and how to prepare the sausage. Great reading. If you want, I'll send you a list of links that I have found over the years that deal with sausage making.

If you want to buy the book, check out amazon, ebay or other online sites. I got mine on ebay. A lot of the stuff is nice to have, but not necessary. The key thing is to get a good meat grinder.
ok cool, funny thing is my g-ma does not live to far from that place, shes lives in buffalo too lol
ArmyHunter68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #715
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
ok cool, funny thing is my g-ma does not live to far from that place, shes lives in buffalo too lol
One of my stops every year when I go there to fish.

Another place online to check out is butcher-packer.com

Y'all have a good one, got some yard work to do.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #716
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
One of my stops every year when I go there to fish.

Another place online to check out is butcher-packer.com

Y'all have a good one, got some yard work to do.
You are suppose to be getting ready for school or something like that.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #717
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

Quote:
X 2 , Ed where did you go ?? No beer updates or his live in help
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #718
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
You are suppose to be getting ready for school or something like that.
I do that when it gets hot. Yard work is meant to be done in the morning.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #719
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec73065 View Post
X 2 , Ed where did you go ?? No beer updates or his live in help
Maybe his boss has him locked up.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #720
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

Quote:
Maybe his boss has him locked up.
He hasn't posted anything since 7/24 I hope everything is OK
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #721
flipajig
Four Point

Hunt In: any where

08-16-2011, 07:13 AM * #689
ArmyHunter68
Nubbin' Buck

is there place around fort hood that does game processing? if so how do you bring it to them, just field dressed or do you need to skin it first?
AH 68 I have been processing my own deer and pigs for quite some time
I also cure and smoke all my own jerky summer sausage
Bacon Ham just about anything done with meat that any processor
Will do I have learned how to do it
I am also able to smoke cheese if y'all are interested

Tie offer is for e eryone send me a PM and we can
Work some thing out

Last edited by flipajig; 08-18-2011 at 10:08 PM.
flipajig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #722
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

X 3 on WHERE is ED, he is usually lurking and has his definate Navy wisdom, I hope for sure everything is OK on his end.

Flip that is a great offer for the processing for sure.

For all I will ba back in 3rd week in NOV, for good, contract has fallen apart due to politics cant say more than that, but anyone got any leads on work let me know.. Will take NOV and DEC off and get busy finding work, I hear it is very tight back in Texas now or work.
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #723
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post
X 3 on WHERE is ED, he is usually lurking and has his definate Navy wisdom, I hope for sure everything is OK on his end.

For all I will ba back in 3rd week in NOV, for good, contract has fallen apart due to politics cant say more than that, but anyone got any leads on work let me know.. Will take NOV and DEC off and get busy finding work, I hear it is very tight back in Texas now or work.

Kevin, jump on CPOL(USA Jobs) and get your resume uploaded...plenty of jobs on there...also may look at FEMA...they are hiring out the backside...not sure if you have any Emergency Management background...but I'm pretty sure you have ran Operations/ S3 shops before...thing is you may have to leave The Great State though...but ya have to do what ya have to do......
Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #724
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Wyoming, Fort Hood

Finally got a pic on my trail cam. Wasn't what I was hoping for.. I know there are deer in the area, When I pulled my card, I heard on snorting at me. Didn't see it, but atleast I heard it.

HoffDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #725
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffDawg View Post
Finally got a pic on my trail cam. Wasn't what I was hoping for.. I know there are deer in the area, When I pulled my card, I heard on snorting at me. Didn't see it, but atleast I heard it.

Choot it...yes, there are plenty of those on Fort Hood...will ruin a hunt in a heartbeat...Matt and I always looked for the places where there were no cows...that's like panning for gold on Fort Hood now days though
Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #726
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:

Brother I am right there with you. Me and a lot of other contractors here on Hood. I recieved my Lay-off notice on Monday. I have about a month. Some smart military leader has figured that they can fix the budget by getting rid of all of the contractors and make the soldiers do their jobs. The problem is there are no soldiers here to do the job we are doing. They sent a team over to look over our shoulders to see what we are doing so when we stop work they can take over, That is good but the very next monthe in Oct they deploy to Iraq. Boy somebody is thinking.
Anybody need a retired broken Warrant Officer, would say I would work for peanuts but that is not true need a lot more than that I this old fart do do physical labor sorry. They just don't mak enough pain meds for me to do that.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #727
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:

Shawn good clear pic what kind of camera???
Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #728
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:

Sorry to hear about that. Let us know when you get back.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #729
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Brother I am right there with you. Me and a lot of other contractors here on Hood. I recieved my Lay-off notice on Monday. I have about a month. Some smart military leader has figured that they can fix the budget by getting rid of all of the contractors and make the soldiers do their jobs. The problem is there are no soldiers here to do the job we are doing. They sent a team over to look over our shoulders to see what we are doing so when we stop work they can take over, That is good but the very next monthe in Oct they deploy to Iraq. Boy somebody is thinking.
Anybody need a retired broken Warrant Officer, would say I would work for peanuts but that is not true need a lot more than that I this old fart do do physical labor sorry. They just don't mak enough pain meds for me to do that.
What??? Sorry to hear.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #730
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
What??? Sorry to hear.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #731
Blue Eagle2
Ten Point

Hunt In: FT.Hood & Any where in texas

Quote:
Sorry John,I hope that you will find something soon ,If I hear anything on my end i will let you know.
Blue Eagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #732
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:

Call animal control and report animal cruelty. Maybe they would make the rancher move them off.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #733
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
John, sorry to hear about the lay-off. I don't have any leads, other then applying for the city of Killeen managers position. I heard they offer a really nice severence package when you leave.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #734
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Tim I would but I am affraid I would be over qualified. We are talking about the City of Killeen the only place that pays a city manager you fire 3/4 million when his contract stated 400K . Yea I am over qualfied can't work there.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #735
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

Hey all thanks for the kind words and all the info, THANKS JAMES, I will be all right, just bad buisness on this end with the company. Good thing is I can hunt most of the deer season and goof off cause mamma has done right by the bank account for sure. I will land a good job somewhere, Have Bronco will travel LOL.

James never thought of FEMA but yeah I got more Operations EOC background than I wish so I sure did check it out, got resume in, see what happens, have a travel trailer and will travel, if not there is always Iraq and Afghanistan again. I just want to stay home for a bit and get stable, maybe whack a few deer, seem like this is getting to be a pattern with the GOVT. Heck I wont even see my Med bennies for anothe 6 months from what the letter said, it has been suspended until then, go figure, glad I aint hurting for $$. This SUCKS BAD, But I got a good outlook on it.

Hoff them sure are some great pics, I think I have seen that cow before LOL
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #736
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hey all thanks for the kind words and all the info, THANKS JAMES, I will be all right, just bad buisness on this end with the company. Good thing is I can hunt most of the deer season and goof off cause mamma has done right by the bank account for sure. I will land a good job somewhere, Have Bronco will travel LOL.

James never thought of FEMA but yeah I got more Operations EOC background than I wish so I sure did check it out, got resume in, see what happens, have a travel trailer and will travel, if not there is always Iraq and Afghanistan again. I just want to stay home for a bit and get stable, maybe whack a few deer, seem like this is getting to be a pattern with the GOVT. Heck I wont even see my Med bennies for anothe 6 months from what the letter said, it has been suspended until then, go figure, glad I aint hurting for $$. This SUCKS BAD, But I got a good outlook on it.

Maybe things can change in 2012..if not we might not see retirement much more..heck, they are already cutting up the dang Post 911 GI Bill...the one I extended for..irritating.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #737
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Shawn good clear pic what kind of camera???
It is a cheap Tasco, got it on ebay for like $35. I wasn't sure how it would work, but for my first cam, it isn't bad. Now if I could just get some deer on there..
Old 08-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #738
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Choot it...yes, there are plenty of those on Fort Hood...will ruin a hunt in a heartbeat...Matt and I always looked for the places where there were no cows...that's like panning for gold on Fort Hood now days though
Thought I was safe. I didn't see any fresh cow sign. But atleast in a week, there is only one pic.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #739
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:

I think I seen it on my way to put my card back in today. Looked like it was laughing at me....LOL
Old 08-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #740
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thought I was safe. I didn't see any fresh cow sign. But atleast in a week, there is only one pic.

LOL..they will find the corn brother
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #741
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

here are a couple doe pics on my food plot in the back yard..don't have any cameras out on my stands yet....
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #742
flipajig
Four Point

Is there a shoot tomorrow?
And what is it I haven't shot much this year so y'all
Be nice to me.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #743
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
here are a couple doe pics on my food plot in the back yard..don't have any cameras out on my stands yet....
Funny, your food plot looks a lot like a corn field. You must be from the east coast.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #744
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipajig View Post
Is there a shoot tomorrow?
And what is it I haven't shot much this year so y'all
Be nice to me.
Nocked & Loaded is having a night shoot tonight. Registration starts at 7:30, shooting starts at 8:30.

For those who desire to start shooting earlier, we have blindfolds. JK

Here is the link with directions.

http://www.nocked-loaded.com/docs/NL_RangePR1-Blk.pdf
Old 08-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #745
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Quote:
Funny, your food plot looks a lot like a corn field. You must be from the east coast.
The funnier thing is that seed is what I brought up from Texas...it just actually grows here
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #746
BenBen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I'm invited

James,
Is that the seed I gave you? If so yeah that will definitely grow anywhere. Looks good. Happy Hunting.
BenBen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #747
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
The funnier thing is that seed is what I brought up from Texas...it just actually grows here
Yeah, you get rain. Weeds aren't even growing here in Texas. Looks like another fire over by west fort hood.

Y'all have fun, gotta run to Lampasas and start getting ready for this evening.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #748
flipajig
Four Point

When is ft hood doing another shoot
Old 08-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #749
EdO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever, Whenever

Quote:
Ed's been busy learning computer stuff. Working on the club forum (like I told you way back when). It's up and ready to go. Still need to give it a few tweaks as soon as I figure out how to do them. Should be indexed on google soon. Checked the log and have been getting occasional visits from their bot. Until then you need to enter the url by hand. Don't think I'm allowed to post a link on here.
EdO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #750
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Yeah, you get rain. Weeds aren't even growing here in Texas. Looks like another fire over by west fort hood.

Y'all have fun, gotta run to Lampasas and start getting ready for this evening.

Hoping it didn't hit my stand.