Tales from the Bugscuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales from the Bugscuffle

I forgot two funny things that happened while at the Bugscuffle in November, the first of which my traditional family will especially appreciate!

1. My last afternoon, I had decided I would try for a ram since the axis and fallow just wouldn't cooperate. Ironically, when walking to my stand I jumped a nice Corsican hanging out with a pretty nice Texas Dall. I liked the look of the Corsican so I put a short stalk on him and shot him...with my compound. The shot was long but downhill and I felt confident but on impact, the arrow stopped in the ram (it was tipped with a 4 blade Magnus Stinger). He spun and started running up hill and I could tell the arrow never penetrated the off-side. I was a little surprised due to the fact that it was a cut-on-contact type head and my bow has KE to burn being a compound and all. Anyway, he takes off running with his buddy and within seconds I hear him fall and slide so I figure that is it. After waiting almost 2 hours I decided to give a quick look but didn't find him. The hill he ran up was real steep and the brush was THICK. I decided to wait for Bryan and his dog. Now for the funny part. Keep in mind, we have been shooting our trad bows at camp all week. Back to the story. I find Bryan and try to relay the story play by play so he will know how to approach the situation. When I get to the part about not getting a pass-through, he stops me and says, "You didn't get a complete pass through...WITH THAT WEENIE BOW?!?!".

2. We get back to the cleaning shed and unload the ram when someone says, "Where are his (insert off-color word for testicles here)?!?!". Come to find out he was a he/she. Well not quite but he was definately not a fully equipped ram. Kind of weird but we all got a big kick out of it and I took some extra ribbing for shooting a "handicapped" ram. The funny thing was he was 3 1/2 years old and had actually been born on the ranch. Normally they would be all scarred up but his cape was flawless...I guess he didn't have much drive for fighting without all his tackle in place. I really should have shoulder mounted him but I decided to take the money and book another hunt instead.

I don't know if yall will find these stories as funny as I did...maybe you needed to be there. I just thought about this with the thread posted in the HR section about the LSBA raffle hunt. Those pictures he posted have me aching to get back up there and hunt with Bryan again. That place gets in your blood. Hopefully next year...

good stuff

Comment

good story, congrats on the ram.

Comment

Funny one congrats

Comment

Working...
        X