Tempted by Ted Nugent Style Trad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tempted by Ted Nugent Style Trad

Anyone here hunt w/a compound w/no sights a la The Nuge? I have always wanted to give that a try for the following reasons:

a) it seems so much easier than looking through sights

b) I would never have to worry about my sights being "off" after a day of travel

I'm reluctant to remake my Diamond bow, however, because I am afraid that trad will require much more practice than I have to give right now. I am pushing it to practice for one hour each week.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself

Comment

I have seen a fellow that shoots that way at some of the East Texas 3-D shoots. He shoots very well. I'm not sure 1 hour per week is enough pratice to really learn without sights. JMO

Comment

When I hunted with a compound, I shot without using my site, when hog hunting at night. Just drew with 3 fingers, dropped one (ie, held the srting with the top 2 fingers, right below my sighting eye) and held the broadhead on target. Worked great, out to 20 yds. Takes some practice to build sight picture and confidence.
        Your points a and b are excellent reasons to shoot traditional.

Comment

Buff brings up a great point about the practice time. Most of the trad shooters I know make practice a high priority in their life. I just cannot commit to that. I'm on the edge for compound practice as it is. I have even considered switching to a rifle since I do not practice as much as I should.

How much is a good guideline to practice trad?

Comment

I shoot some most every day. not so much because I have to but because I really enjoy shooting my bows. you will find that you will make time to shoot with traditional equipment because it is so much more fun. When you shoot at a bottle with a compound you know your gona hit i, how could you miss with a sight and release. When you shoot at a bottle with a recurve , you concentrate on the bottle bring your bow up and when you turn the arrow loose it is like majic to watch the big brite feathers start to spin towards the target. When the arrow goes right where you want it to, nothing compares.

Comment

Yep what Buff says I love shooting my recurve

Comment

Love to shoot. Shooting my recurve is fun and it relaxes me.
                It's my main hobby during spring and summer.
                I shoot hard all year then don't shoot as much during hunting season. I gues I'm usually hunting too much to shoot very often that time of year.

Comment

I shot that way when I first started shooting compound. Bear Whitetail. Man those were the days...It just takes practice.

Comment

You guys might just be on to something. That does seem like it might be more fun. I just wish I knew if I was biting off more than I could chew. I like to count the cost before I take something on.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I have seen a fellow that shoots that way at some of the East Texas 3-D shoots. He shoots very well. I'm not sure 1 hour per week is enough pratice to really learn without sights. JMO

Buff you talkin about David Seamore ???

Comment

I did for a couple years, thats why I use a wood bow now, I figured why not.
                        Chris Kiefner

Comment

I did a huge amount of bowfishing with a compound shooting instinctively. It can be done very well and just takes some practice.

Comment

You guys might just be on to something.
                            Well yuhh!!

Comment

Working...
                            X