Need advice on repairing a drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on repairing a drill press

I have a Delta brand drill press I bought at HD 20 years ago. I got it in a bind while using it the other day and screwed something up. Now when I turn it on the spindle doesn’t spin straight - it has a wobble to it. I assume I bent something - any ideas? Thanks!

You should be able to replace the chuck. Most tool repair places can do it but you may be able to order it online.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a bent shaft. Good luck

Comment

Sounds like you bent the shaft! 20 yrs old, might consider a new one. Northern tool or Harbor Frt.

Comment

Check to see if the check goes on by means of a Morse, tapered shaft. Some chucks just jam up onto the tapered shaft. If they get in a bind, they can shift slightly and cause them to wobble. It could also be that you broke one jaw off inside the chuck. If that happens then it would be best to get a new chuck.

Comment

Well, I took the chuck off and when powered-on you can see some wobble so the spindle is slightly bent. I looked at all the websites that sell replacement parts for that unit and every one says that part is "unavailable". I knew Delta went out of business a few years ago but I was hoping one of the parts outfits would have one.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Well, I took the chuck off and when powered-on you can see some wobble so the spindle is slightly bent. I looked at all the websites that sell replacement parts for that unit and every one says that part is "unavailable". I knew Delta went out of business a few years ago but I was hoping one of the parts outfits would have one.
              The spindle could still be removable. Depending on taper go get a keyless spindle and Chuck and replace. Did you find anything that said what kind of taper/Chuck?

Comment

I would call Texas Tool Traders in Watauga, they do a lot of repairs and may know something.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Well, I took the chuck off and when powered-on you can see some wobble so the spindle is slightly bent. I looked at all the websites that sell replacement parts for that unit and every one says that part is "unavailable".
                  I did something like that to my FIL's old drill press. Could not find a replaceable part, so I took it to a local machine shop here and they made me one.

Comment

Working...
                  X