Question on roll up style doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on roll up style doors

We just purchased a new home, and have this carport that i want to close in for a man cave. Question is, I have purchased a roll up door and looks like i will need to install jambs and header to install door. What size tubing can i get away with? ? Please any help on this would be great. I posted a few pictures to show where it will go. Roll up door will be right about where the truck is parked.

Last edited by aw23846; 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM.

Don't know the answer to your question, but I have a roll up door and have two problems with it. (1) When the door is down, there is a space above it that will let birds get in and then they don't seem to be able to get out. (2) This same space make it very hard to keep the shop warm in the winter as the space is at the top and most of my heat gets out that way. I don't know how to solve the problem. Wish I had put in a sliding door instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cropduster View Post
      Don't know the answer to your question, but I have a roll up door and have two problems with it. (1) When the door is down, there is a space above it that will let birds get in and then they don't seem to be able to get out. (2) This same space make it very hard to keep the shop warm in the winter as the space is at the top and most of my heat gets out that way. I don't know how to solve the problem. Wish I had put in a sliding door instead.
      X2 on the birds. Gotta be a way to seal the top.

FWIW, are you sure you have the clearance to put in a roll up door? It may make it too low to get the truck back in should you ever decide to do that(ie-hail storm???).

on edit - on a second look it appears you should be ok, going to be close.

Comment

Roll up doors are ok but are you planning on heating/cooling this area? If so an insulated door that opens up with the tracking following the interior roof line would be my choice. I have one that instead of the tracking being 90 degrees it goes up and along the ceiling keeping a clean look.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
          X2 on the birds. Gotta be a way to seal the top.

FWIW, are you sure you have the clearance to put in a roll up door? It may make it too low to get the truck back in should you ever decide to do that(ie-hail storm???).

on edit - on a second look it appears you should be ok, going to be close.
          That sounds good, but what kind of door is this? You talking about a panel style door? . And yes there is going to be minimal clearance, think about 7 ft, after install. Really feel a sliding door would be the best situation. how do you install a track system? , and are they even sold?
          Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
          Roll up doors are ok but are you planning on heating/cooling this area? If so an insulated door that opens up with the tracking following the interior roof line would be my choice. I have one that instead of the tracking being 90 degrees it goes up and along the ceiling keeping a clean look.

Comment

Yes sir a standard metal panel insulated door and you can buy different angled tracking pieces. If your paying someone to do it then they would know exactly what you needed. I had a roll up door in the shop for all of 3 days, their noisey, not spring assisted, not insulated and not really an option for an opener. I ran the tracking up close to the ceiling and put a jack shaft opener on it and I love it. It's up out of the way and the jack shaft opener is awesome!!

Comment

If you want a tighter seal and an insulated door, a sectional is the best choice. In my opinion, that is the only downside to a roll up door. You can get a draft stop to attach to a roll up, but it will not totally seal the gap at the top. You also want to make sure you have adequate clearance above it.
              Depending on the size of the door, you should be able to use some square tubing for the jambs and header. I would say a 3 or 4" should cover you.

Comment

Why not a standard garage door?

Comment

Well i thought they would be to expensive to install, but i think i will look into it now.

Comment

Mine are like thumper was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      Awesome set up right their!!! It's like mine but I wish I would have known this before I wasted time and money on the roll up door.

FYI I bought my 12x10 insulated overhead doors for about $500 each. I have a great hook up on doors if you need one, it takes less than a week to get them in. It took maybe a couple hours to install each one and was a pretty straight forward easy job.

Comment

I agree with what everyone here is saying about sectional doors.

To answer your question, an 8" "C" section, 16ga will be plenty for your frame. Metal Mart or Mueller will have it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Where did you get that system?

Comment

Originally posted by aw23846 View Post
                            Where did you get that system?
                            Call an overhead door company.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              I agree with what everyone here is saying about sectional doors.

To answer your question, an 8" "C" section, 16ga will be plenty for your frame. Metal Mart or Mueller will have it.
                              I'm very new to the metal game, so c section are you talking about cede purlin?

Comment

Working...
                              X