2.5+ year old spike pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justin156bc View Post
    We kill spikes at 1.5 not yearling's. It is part of our long term management plan. It works for us and has for the past 10 years. Out of 39 different bucks I saw this year I did not see 1 that I would call a cull nor did I see a spike.
    I do not know the difference between a yearling and a 1.5 year old deer either.

Comment

I have a hay fork buck in Goldthwaite that I am waiting to get a shot at. I am carrying a camera this year too, because no one believes me that he is massive. That way even if I don't get a shot, I can at least get a pic. Biggest hay fork I have ever seen.

OH and I don't let spikes reach a 1 1/2 if I can help it. If I see a spike and can get a shot he takes a dirt nap. I am sure this hay fork was a spike that has lived too long.

Good hunting guys!

Comment

Here's two that are 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. We could never get them.
        Attached Files

Comment

not a spike, but i shot a 4 pt (banched mains) that had worn down almost all of his teeth. Think the inside spread was 20 or 21"

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            not a spike, but i shot a 4 pt (banched mains) that had worn down almost all of his teeth. Think the inside spread was 20 or 21"
            Worthless without a picture

Comment

Dude shot one a t Camp Bullis several years ago that was aged at 8.5 yrs with main beam only 22" long on both sides. Sorry no pics. He was a battle scarred brusier.

Comment

A two year old spike tastes better than a five year old ten

Comment

2.5 year old - gonzales county
                  Attached Files

Comment

Any more? Not calling anyone out anyone in particular, but in my opinion some of those look 1.5 not 2.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Eason View Post
                      Any more? Not calling anyone out anyone in particular, but in my opinion some of those look 1.5 not 2.5.
                      Thanks for not calling them out, since I posted up three

Comment

A spike is a spike, not sure it matters much, although The thread does ask for 2.5's

Comment

Not mine, but got this in an email a few years ago

[ATTACH]237660[/ATTACH]
                          If I ain't mistaking this one was killed a few years ago on national Forrest land in Zavalla. I remember seeing this pic hanging in Coleman's in Zavalla. 5.5yo. I agree with you also Brady maybe 3 of the spikes pictured above are over 1.5.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            If I ain't mistaking this one was killed a few years ago on national Forrest land in Zavalla. I remember seeing this pic hanging in Coleman's in Zavalla. 5.5yo. I agree with you also Brady maybe 3 of the spikes pictured above are over 1.5.
                            When I got that email it said it was killed in near Pennington in Trinity County by a youth hunter. Don't know if there is any truth to that.

Comment

I have killed 2 spikes. One was 1.5 the other was much larger. This was back about 25-30 years ago when I was young and it just about killed 2 of us dragging him out. I had no idea about aging deer back then. I will say this, he was no youngster.

Comment

Cool pics everyone, neat thread too!

Comment

Working...
                                X