Youth Rifle Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Rifle Selection

Going to have my 10 year old hunt with me for the first time this year and trying to decide on which rifle to start practicing with.
    My Options:
    Rem 700 BA 25.06
    AR-15 in .223
    Buy a 300 BLK Upper for my AR (Would love some information on this option
    Or buy a cheap youth .243

Range will likely be capped at 50 yards for him until he proves he's ready to move further out.

I personally started with a 243, which is the same caliber my oldest son started with at 10 as well.

Comment

If I had a kid now day, I would get him or her a Howa 1500 mini action in a 6.5 Grendel, as a starter rifle, or maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor. I still think that the smaller bullets, should be left to people who have shot a lot of game over the years and are very good consistent shots. Starting a kid off with a small caliber, with a small bullet that the shot placement needs to be perfect, to me is not the best idea. I really think if you have at least a 6.5/264 with a 120 to 130 gr. bullet, you have a good minimum, deer round. Then it needs enough velocity to get that bullet to expand reliably.

I would say something like a 7mm-08 or 308, but not sure how well a 10 year old would do with either as a first deer gun. If you spent some time with the kid and let him shoot it a 100 to 200 times, and he had no problem with it, I would say that would be a great first deer rifle round. I know the smaller Grendel and Creedmoor cases, and smaller, lighter bullets will result in less recoil, which would intimidate a young kid less.

I know when I was 10 years old the idea of shooting my step father's 308, scared the crap out of me. But when I finally shot it, I was like ok, no big deal. I think I first shot it, when I was 12. I killed two deer in a row with that gun, dropped them dead where they stood.

The other side of the first rifle deal, I have to agree, that it is probably best to start a kid out with a single shot or a bolt action. Once they have shown they can be responsible with that gun, then allow them to use a semi auto. But I realize now days, at least haft of the pictures I see of young kids with a kill, they have a AR in their hands. My grandfather would have flipped out, if he were still around and seen what all goes on today. I have been around multiple guns that went off accidently, most every case, the gun was in the hands of a kid. There were multiple close calls, will scare the crap out of you. But all it takes is one round going off at the wrong time, to create a bad situation. I have seen bolt actions go off and almost create very bad situations. There are a lot of ways of looking at the whole deal. Just be safe, preach gun safety, over and over, but not in a manner, the kid finds the info boring.

My first gun was a semi auto 20 ga., followed by a Marlin semi auto 22 LR. The 20 ga. was a blast, the Marlin jammed constantly, was more of a single shot, once you got the jammed case out of the gun. My grandfather was POed at my step father for buying me a semi auto and starting me off with semi autos, I was supposed to start off with a single shot 22, that's they way yours supposed to do it. Then my first deer rifle was a Ruger 44 Carbine, loved that gun, wish I had it back. So I know it's possible to start a kid out with a semi auto, been done successfully many times, but still best not to start a kid out with a semi auto. Just teach good gun handling and safety.

Hopefully y'all get something this year.

Comment

Savage .243 with a quality scope.

Comment

I would let him start shooting the AR15 at targets. Adjust the stock to fit him. As far as hunting I like the 243 option.

Comment

Sounds like several votes for the .243

I have a .308 as well but i'm surprised no one finds the 25.06 a decent option. Looks like i may need to offload that rifle and pick up a .243

Comment

I started mine on the cva 243 from academy. Single shot, easy to use and just performs well for the money. Small too

Comment

My 10 year old received a Model 7 in .243 for Christmas this year. Awesome rifle, I like shooting and hunting with it as well. Killed his first buck with it.
                Attached Files

Comment

243 will work just fine or the 25/06

Comment

My daughter started with a Savage 243 and it has done wonderfully.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

My 8 year old daughter shoots a savage axis xp. I took the piece out of the stock and shortened it up for her. The Hornady custom lite ammo is the way to go.

Comment

If you are worried about recoil, Hornaday makes a reduced recoil .243 round

Comment

[ The Hornady custom lite ammo is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

What he said

Comment

Another vote for 243.

Comment

Shot at and killed my first one with a, will never mind what that one was. It was many moons ago. But after that one it was a 22-250 that filled the freezer many many times.
                              Both of my kids shot their first ones with a single shot 223. I never did and still dont like that particular gun but I hold onto it for just because they shot their first.

But before either of them shot their first deer they were knocking squirrels out of trees with 22s. Son was 5 on his first deer, daughter was 6 on her first. Both were neck shots at 100 yards.

All that said I would get your youngun a 22-250, or 243. for there first deer. After i had them on a 22 long enough for them to be able to hit were you tell them to. All 3 of these are fun for them to shoot. Also I do not have a gun in my safe that we use regularly that has more than 2#s, of trigger pull. That helped them more than anything I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X