Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide

Going to try this for the first time. What's ya'lls favorite go to when using this cooking technique ?

Additionally, does anyone cook stuff in the sous vide then freeze for a quick thaw and cook later??

Let's hear it!!

room temp steak, season with salt/pepper/garlic powder, 135* for 2 hours.

sear in HOT cast iron or I prefer mine over HOT coals with grate right above coals.. I like the smokey char..

let rest, enjoy.

watch this channel:

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
      room temp steak, season with salt/pepper/garlic powder, 135* for 2 hours.

sear in HOT cast iron or I prefer mine over HOT coals with grate right above coals.. I like the smokey char..

let rest, enjoy.

watch this channel:
      https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ide+everything
      Thank you for the reply and link

Comment

I like it best for venison. Season the steak or big chunk of backstrap with your favorite dry rub (I like Cooper's Original), vacuum seal and leave it in the fridge several hours to marinate. Put in the SV cooker for 3-4 hours at 128-130 degrees. Sear on HOT gas grill or HOT cast iron skillet for about 1 minute per side to char the outside. Serve hot.

Putting it in the fridge or freezer to reheat later defeats the purpose. Serve it immediately after cooking.
        Last edited by Shane; 09-09-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I like a bone in ribeye. Or at least something with a good amount of fat or fat cap. You can always add butter to something lean. The fat will render down over the cooking time. Black pepper, fresh garlic, fresh thyme (could substitute with rosemary). 130-135* for 2-3 hours (depending on thickness). Sear with torch, hot pan or hot grill.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            I like it best for venison. Season the steak or big chunk of backstrap with your favorite dry rub (I like Cooper's Original), vacuum seal and leave it in the fridge several hours to marinate. Put in the SV cooker for 3-4 hours at 128-130 degrees. Sear on HOT gas grill or HOT cast iron skillet for about 1 minute per side to char the outside. Serve hot.

Putting it in the fridge or freezer to reheat later defeats the purpose. Serve it immediately after cooking.
            Thank you for the reply. will break out some back strap took cook soon!

Comment

My family and I love it! Get a cast iron searing plate and sear them OUTSIDE on the smoking hot grill so you don’t smoke up the house!

Comment

Comment

I don't put butter or oil or liquid of any kind in with the meat. Even with lean venison, having it vacuum sealed holds all the moisture from the meat in, so it stays moist. I will often put some butter on the meat when I sear it at the end though. Let that melt into the meat just before serving.

Comment

Following been wanting to try mine out as well.

Comment

Keep the info coming...

Comment

I don't put butter or oil or liquid of any kind in with the meat. Even with lean venison, having it vacuum sealed holds all the moisture from the meat in, so it stays moist. I will often put some butter on the meat when I sear it at the end though. Let that melt into the meat just before serving.
                        X2.

Comment

Same here. I rub a thing layer of olive oil on the steaks after they’re done in the sous vide, use a torch to sear them (nothing else I have gets near hot enough for my liking, and it’s a lot easier) and put coarse salt, cracked pepper, and a little bit of garlic. Favorite way to do steaks.

We portion out pork chops and steaks in vacuum sealed packages, freeze them, my wife will put them in the sous vide frozen, and I’ll take them out when I get home from work to sear & season. It makes dinners very quick and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s the torch we use.

We also used the sous vide stick to reheat frozen vacuum sealed pulled pork the other day, worked great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last thing I cooked was a whole venison roast.
                              ( From partially frozen, 2 hours @ 135, Then I pulled it oiled, seasoned with S&P & Garlic powder and gave it a good sear in hot cast iron skillet before vac bagging again and letteing it go another 8 hours at 135. (next time I might go 130 instead))

Left overs were even better when I partially froze it whole so I could slice it wafer thin pile it on good toasted sourdough with some extra sharp white cheddar and put it under the broiler.

Comment

Working...
                              X