Free Choice Feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Choice Feeder?

I have an old feeder (55gallon) that has a broken spinning unit (motor, timer, etc.). I do need or want another spin feeder, so I'm not interested in replacing the unit at this time. I thought about just putting a protein, gravity tube on the barrel, filling with corn, and making it a free choice station. Cows are not an issue and the legs are tall enough that a pig wouldn't be able to reach the feed.

Anyone use free choice feeder with corn? I'm guessing deer will eat out of this just as they would any other type feeder. Am I wrong here?

Recommendations for an universal tube/funnel that can be attached to a standard drum?

Shows being out of stock - but...

Non-Typical 55 Gal. Poly-Lower Unit fits 55 gallon barrels, both metal and plastic. The unit has a 6" down spout. Choose from the 3-way for three legged

Comment

Academy has a couple of feeder tubes, just used one by attaching to the bottom of a 55 gallon barrel. You can adjust how much feed comes out by raising/lowering a sleeve Inside the spout.

Comment

If you don't have a pen around it, you will be surprised how some pigs will be able to reach.

Comment

We put the Boss Buck protein attachment (mentioned above) on a 55 gallon barrel at my buddies place, and the deer really like it. I would think corn would be eaten a lot quicker than protein, but that's just a guess.

Comment

If you have hogs they will snap the Boss Buck's off. And, they will empty the Academy brand by bumping the barrel or feeder spout since they are so large. Corn will rain out of them.

Comment

Can you close off the boss buck system enough to keep corn from just pouring out? We tried to corn in a buddies and it just poured out on the ground. Might could adjust it enough to stop that I'm sure we didn't have the tools to even try though.

Deer eat out of his free choice Texas Hunter products feeder just fine though. I think some deer that won't go to the timed feeders hit the free choice.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                I think some deer that won't go to the timed feeders hit the free choice.
                Similar to my thoughts on this. I've never shot a buck over a spin feeder at the place I hunt. I rarely ever see mature deer at a spin feeder (live or on camera). I get pics of mature bucks on nearby trails and over areas where I scatter corn on the ground, just never at feeder. Hoping to increase chances of seeing a mature deer in daylight hours. My oldest (9) wants to kill his first buck this year.

Comment

I just bought a few of these Redneck Blinds - T Post Gravity Feeders and really like the design. The price is right too, but the jury is still out on if the deer like em or not. There is an adjustable baffle in the neck of the feeder to slow the flow of corn. I'll be checking cams and corn levels this weekend for the first time and will report back.

Comment

Here is a link from Academy that works. lol

I am probably going to pick some of these up real soon for a couple 55 gallon drums I recently got.

I also made this with some 4" pipe I had laying around for a crappy moultrie feeder that has a twist on motor mount that failed on me.

J
                    Attached Files

Comment

Regarding the Boss Buck - yes, the flow can be adjusted.
                      I did utilize an 8 panel feeder pen for my pig problem.
                      I also put “shark teeth” on the feeder tubes to discourage raccoons.

Comment

Spouts similar to this are best if you have hogs around. They cannot damage them. Mine are similar and have only two openings.

Comment

Working...
                        X