What RV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What RV?

We have a "What cigar", "what gun did you buy", and a "what beer", why not add a RV to the "what's"?

I know many of us own, have owned, or want to own a RV be it a pop-up or motor coach. Share your likes, dislikes of your model as well as places you love to go to and ones you won't return to.

We recently purchased a 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S and love it thus far though towing in high winds cause a great deal of white knuckling even at 55mph. We are now on a first name bases with our brown truck driver and should buy stock in Amazon! Many things to purchase in order to make the RV exactly what we want.

A couple weekends ago we went to Meridian State Park and hooked up with members of a R-Pod Owners group. We had a great time visiting and relaxing.

On the way back home just outside Marlin on Hwy 6 is a great little rest stop that we plan to "boondock" at in the future.

Lastly for now, here's what our floor plan is. Perfect for me, Robin, and our little pup.

Would anyone be interested in getting together sometime? Maybe have a little rally?

Life is too short so live each day as if it were your last! ~Michael

2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, changed trucks since then.. now 2015 F350 Dually 6.7
    Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 02-21-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
      2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, changed trucks since then.. now 2015 F350 Dually 6.7
      I bet it was necessary to pull that big puppy!

Comment

I had an old small camper to start with, but sold it, moved up to a 2003 33' triple slide Cardinal (lots of problems the dealer did not want to fix), sold it and my 1 ton diesel, moved to a 22' KIT Mfg trailer for the lease, got totaled in a couple of hail storms and now I am in a 26' Keystone with a single slide for the lease that so far has been a very good trailer. Towed the Cardinal to CO twice and over TX, but it was a pain being so big.

For the costs of new trailers today and a rig to pull them, you can sure stay in a lot of nice places for a long time.

Comment

I have a question about a bumper pull vs. 5th wheel. What would you guys say is too long for a bumper pull trailer? I've heard people say that they get increasingly tougher to bumper pull when they start getting up there in length.

Comment

We have had 2 in less than a year...! I have a Dodge 3500 so towing is not a problem. Just my wife and I, daughter and a dog most of the time.

This February, we bought a used, not even titled for a year, used one time Coachman Catalina 293 QBCK. ~31FT and 6500-7000 lbs. Used it 3 times and we totaled it from hail damage in April. Great trailer. I have never pulled a bumper pull trailer that towed and backed that well, even with the bars etc. Had a queen up front and a bunkroom in the back with a living room slide. Had the little kitchen outside etc. Enjoyed it. Single AC needed a little help to master.

I think early june, we bought a 2017 Crossroads Zinger 33BH. ~37ft, 8500-9000 LBS. This one has 2 acs, outside cooking, dual gray tanks and 3 slides. I like how the bathroom is attached to "master". Rear bunkroom with slide in the back. Kitchen has slide has well as the sofa slide. I was happy with the "deal" I got on it, brand new. This trailer pulls and backs just fine, still super easy. I did put 5000lb air bags on my truck though, totally takes care of squatting. Everything in the trailer is just a little nicer than the coachmen. I have had the trailer back to dealer twice for warranty work. Leaking toilets, water heater hoses coming lose and frying solenoids, electric jack solenoids tripping. Otherwise, have not had a problem. Probably wouldn't buy another crossroads product.

My first thoughts were, I don't want a 5th wheel, one because they are more expensive and 2, they take up the bed. After buying the 2nd trailer and really looking at lower end toy haulers, I really should have gone that route. Deer blinds, hunting gear, atv etc all could fit in the back.

I'd be up for a beach trip or central texas run.
            Last edited by fullsizeaggie; 11-02-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
              We have had 2 in less than a year...! I have a Dodge 3500 so towing is not a problem.

This February, we bought a used, not even titled for a year, used one time Coachman Catalina 293 QBCK. ~31FT and 6500-7000 lbs. Used it 3 times and we totaled it from hail damage in April. Great trailer. I have never pulled a bumper pull trailer that towed and backed that well, even with the bars etc. Had a queen up front and a bunkroom in the back with a living room slide. Had the little kitchen outside etc. Enjoyed it. Single AC needed a little help to master.

I think early june, we bought a 2017 Crossroads Zinger 33BH. ~37ft, 8500-9000 LBS. This one has 2 acs, outside cooking, dual gray tanks and 3 slides. I like how the bathroom is attached to "master". Rear bunkroom with slide in the back. Kitchen has slide has well as the sofa slide. I was happy with the "deal" I got on it, brand new. This trailer pulls and backs just fine, still super easy. I did put 5000lb air bags on my truck though, totally takes care of squatting. Everything in the trailer is just a little nicer than the coachmen. I have had the trailer back to dealer twice for warranty work. Leaking toilets, water heater hoses coming lose and frying solenoids, electric jack solenoids tripping. Otherwise, have not had a problem. Probably wouldn't buy another crossroads product.

My first thoughts were, I don't want a 5th wheel, one because they are more expensive and 2, they take up the bed. After buying the 2nd trailer and really looking at lower end toy haulers, I really should have gone that route. Deer blinds, hunting gear, atv etc all could fit in the back.

I'd be up for a beach trip or central texas run.
              Thanks for the educated response! I'm starting to at least toy with the idea of getting a trailer in the near future. Mostly for the reason that I'm about to lose my house hook up for Aggie games, so if I want to keep my season tickets, I'm thinking about this route!

Comment

We've got a 2504s 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite. We've been extremely happy with our purchase. May not be the cheapest but quality seemed and seems to be there compared to others we looked at. I wanted something small enough to haul with my 1/2 ton, but big enough for my family of 4 and two extra if my girls want to bring along friends on future trips.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-17 11.45.19.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24469617

Name:	2015-10-17 11.45.42.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	24469618

Name:	2504S.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24469619

Comment

I couldn't agree more on the fit/finish of the Rockwood Mini Lite! I do wish it had (ours) a bit more outside storage for my solar equipment. We just ordered the mounting brackets to permanently mount 800 watts of solar panels on the roof and am currently contemplating what and how many batteries to run. When it is said and done we will have a micro 3kW self contained system that will allow us to run all appliances, including the AC, w/o being hooked up to shore power.

Life is too short so live each day as if it were your last! ~Michael

Comment

We have a Keystone Sprinter 266RB. Love it. We love the outdoor kitchen.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What RV?

You have to go into this knowing that there is no perfect trailer or Rv.....

We've owned more than a few, and still have 3 right now.

A bumper pull is great for a deer lease and occasional use rv. Anything over about thirty feet is a pain in the butt to tow around much more than that. Our current deer lease trailer is a 25' bumper pull that barely is big enough to spend a couple of nights in for the two of us. The one prior to this was a double slide, keystone that we really liked a lot but it was getting a bit old to trust for long trips and frankly we just wanted some more bells and whistles.

A fifth wheel is great for towing and I much prefer the inside roominess and height. We still have a 27' 5th wheel that we use, but again, it's pretty small once you add two people and a few dogs for anything more than a few nights. Prior to this one, we had two 44' toyhaulers, both were Voltages.

Our primary rv is now a 37' class a Thor Challenger gasser. I won't bore you with the discussion of diesel vs. gas, since for most folks a class a wouldn't be used enough to justify the cost. For us, a class a gas model is great because of the ability to stay on the road while traveling without doing much when you stop. I recently made a run to Florida and stayed in rest areas on the way coming and going and never got out except to fill up for the 2600 mile round trip.

The more bells and whistles, the more slides, the more problems and maintenance you are going to have. The worst thing you can do with an rv is to leave it outside and not use it. They go to crap quick if you neglect them.
                      Last edited by Atfulldraw; 11-02-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

You guys spend the bucks! I got a TBH project special a few weeks ago and I'm pretty much doing minor restoration on it. Gonna be redoing some cabinet faces, upgrading the stereo? Repairing all the corner moldings and rust protecting the frame. Already got a new memory foam mattress for the master bed and have new dinette cushions in order. Redid all the plumbing fittings under the sink that were leaky and upgraded to a lockable door for the city and gravity water inlets.

It ain't much but it's got wolves on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dad & I parked a 2017 PUMA 38PTB with this floor plan last weekend...there is a vid in the link to get an idea. It is a Looong bumper pull.

The way our cover is set up, we needed all three slides on the far side & wanted two full bed / baths...we had them delete the bunk beds you see when going in the exterior door - bath room & put in our own regular twin bed.

Sort of an odd layout but perfect for what we needed. Had to order it.

We could not do a 5th because the roof wasn't build high enough...a good set up since it's going to sit. Gonna pull the wheels off & set the jack stands this weekend I hope.

The perfect RV is really subjective based upon your needs...I would not want to pull this beast regularly. Crazy long trailer.

Comment

We just got a new Forest River Vengeance 312a Toy hauler. We are taking it to Port A soon for a trip. The wife and I plan on going to Colorado this summer to Lake City and ride the trails. We are very excited to go RV-ing.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just picked up our new one 2 weeks ago. 28BHBE this is our second jayco jay flight and we have been very pleased with them
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X