No announcement yet.

Dolphin Docks 36hr-3/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're on the subject of Tuna, what do y'all think of a Penn Battle 2 8000 spooled with 65 lb braid for them. Definitely want to go soon try that soon!

Comment

I will say if you dont know how to really put pressure on a fish against his head and quickly egg beaters are not a good choice. I fish them but only when im fresh and not fatigued. I usually kill a few YFT with one but all under 5 minutes. Ive seen guys on fish for a long time on spin gear. If you cant keep the fish close to the surface dont use one. I have a Penn Torque and a Van Stall I use. I still like throwing an Avet Raptor so i have better fish fighting with it. If you are catching blackfin or Spring YFT you can probably use most anything. Watch what you take in november-january.

Comment

Have a rod combo you can cast and pick up some Yummee top water plastic flying fish and a couple of giant size saltwater rattle traps in purple hot pink if possible to cast at night for yellow fin and mahi mahi. It needs to be stout enough to handle up to 80 pound fish.

Comment

They sell birds at the docks just ask. Halco in stripie color and one light blue if you want lures. Ahi Assault 4 ounce in glo is probably your best bet for a jig.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            I will say if you dont know how to really put pressure on a fish against his head and quickly egg beaters are not a good choice. I fish them but only when im fresh and not fatigued. I usually kill a few YFT with one but all under 5 minutes. Ive seen guys on fish for a long time on spin gear. If you cant keep the fish close to the surface dont use one. I have a Penn Torque and a Van Stall I use. I still like throwing an Avet Raptor so i have better fish fighting with it. If you are catching blackfin or Spring YFT you can probably use most anything. Watch what you take in november-january.
            If you go conventional you can also use the rail to help you put pressure on the fish. Make sure to cut a pool noodle for your rod to sit on. I use conventional for bait and sometimes jigging. I always cast with a spinner. I have a very lightweight conventional slo jigging setup that I use occasionally. It is fine for blackfin less than 20 lbs, but if you get a big one or a yellow I get owned and occasionally spooled. I cheat as well and use the electric reel to jig with. It has a program that does everything for you. Drop to 600-800 feet and push go. I like to go deep for the occasional big eye.

Comment

Originally posted by fishycatfish View Post
              Thank you, sir. I’ll definitely try to find the slammer. I found on an offshore forum they were recommending the ocean master set ups from bass pro. Any insight on those?
              Hey bud, I don’t know if you are driving through Victoria, but if you are I’m about 5 miles off of 59 and I have a conventional and a slammer 5500 I’ll let you borrow. They are setup with rods and braid. Ready to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                Hey bud, I don’t know if you are driving through Victoria, but if you are I’m about 5 miles off of 59 and I have a conventional and a slammer 5500 I’ll let you borrow. They are setup with rods and braid. Ready to fish.
                I will take you up on that! I’ll send you a pm. Thank you sir!

Thanks for all the info fellas. Hopefully this goes well and I can take the tbh trip one of these times!

On the lures and jigs, would it be better to order them or buy at the dock?

Comment

Working...
                X