Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Range Day at the ranch with the 26 Nosler!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down at the ranch, and finally squeezed time in to get the new 26 on the bench.

Here's how it went.

All three guns were made by Travis Pollok of Texas Custom Rifles. The 308 win I merely checked the zero. All good to go!

The 26 Nosler is on the right, my Ruger 10/22 is in the center.

First off the 10/22 is so sick. This was standard velocity CCI 40 grain at 75 yards, 8 shots, pretty quick fire. Rabbits just met their match.

The 26. First off this round is a beast.
    Next to a .270 and a 5.56. This is the 140 AB round. The 129's grouped over 3" in my rifle. Subsequently I have sent the 5 boxes I bought back to Nosler. The 140's whole other ball game.

She shot very very well. This is off a bipod at 100, and I would call myself a good shot at best, off a bench, I'm ok.

Somewhere around 3/4" with factory ammo. Very impressed so far. The shot on the left was me dialing it in. Not a part of the group.

I'm hopeful once I start loading for it I'll be able to get it down to a 1/2" all day.

Right now I'm only looking at 3 bullets, 140 AB, 140 partitions, and 140 VLD Hybrids. I've accumulated 3 powders so far.

I took my suppressor off to check POI shift and dear sweet baby Jesus my ears were ringing with ear protection. I will be shooting this suppressed every chance I get and will never shoot without protection.

All in all. Great shoot.
    Last edited by mesquitecountry; 10-25-2014, 01:28 PM.

Looks good!!!

Comment

Very nice! Got some eye candy there buddy, not only do they look purty they put out!

Comment

Looks good. I gotta ask, why hybrids? Did he not throat it for bergers? Why not the hunting VLD?

Comment

And you're a copy cat!!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Looks good. I gotta ask, why hybrids? Did he not throat it for bergers? Why not the hunting VLD?

I'm not a confident enough loader for straight VLD's.

I may try the hunting VLD.

Haha Matt.

Wait until my next gun!

I have 2 more to build. A 338 and a 22 screamer something.

Comment

Can you post better pics of that 26? It looks identical to mine down to the optic but black metal instead of stainless. Great minds!!

Loading the VLD isnt hard. The reason i asked is the target bullets have a thicker jacket than the hunting ones. Both kill stuff very well though!!

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                I'm not a confident enough loader for straight VLD's.

I may try the hunting VLD.

Haha Matt.

Wait until my next gun!

I have 2 more to build. A 338 and a 22 screamer something.
                What are you not confident in Travis? It's really no harder loading for VLDs than any other round. They can be picky on factory rifles but custom guns just plain shoot and seem to be less picky.

Comment

Some fancy metal your playing with! I like it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    What are you not confident in Travis? It's really no harder loading for VLDs than any other round. They can be picky on factory rifles but custom guns just plain shoot and seem to be less picky.

All this lands and throat and measurements and yada yada sounds way above my pay grade!

Yep. I'll post a better pic of "Stacey" in the AM!

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                      All this lands and throat and measurements and yada yada sounds way above my pay grade!

Yep. I'll post a better pic of "Stacey" in the AM!

Lol, it's not that difficult. You just need the right tools and some bench time.

I usually start mine at .020" off the lands and work in from there.

Comment

Very very nice rig. Can't wait to see the load development.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Lol, it's not that difficult. You just need the right tools and some bench time.

I usually start mine at .020" off the lands and work in from there.

What tools does one need?!?!?

Comment

I use a hornady (stoney point) lock and load overal length gauge. Then you buy the case for your caliber (its best to use a once fired piece of brass from your rifle and have it threaded for the tool). Then a comparator and a good micrometer and done!! I believe Mike uses the same stuff

Comment

Mesquitecountry,
                              How are you determining your seating depth currently? If you are just loading to SAAMI length you are probably leaving a lot of that rifle's true potential on the table. As mentioned above, the hornady/Stoney point OAL tool is accurate and simple to use. It gets even better if you can adapt one of the cases fired in your specific chamber to work with the tool. If you want one of your cases drilled and tapped for the tool I'd be happy to do it for free. Just shoot me a pm if interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X