Industrial Quality Tools???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Industrial Quality Tools???

We are currently remodeling the shop here at school, and part of the project is to replace the tools that have been here since 1978. I was going to try to use Delta Industrial, but the nearest vendor is over 3 hours away. Ive never bought tools in an industrial setting (only been teaching for 8 years) so Im really not up to speed on whats good and whats not. I figured that Delta was a good brand, but because of the logistics, I need to probably find something else. Locally, I have a supplier that handles JET, Powermatic, or Dayton in their "heavy duty" lineup. Are any of these brands any good. They are all pretty high dollar, but I know high price doesn't always mean high quality. Give me some insight as to what I might use that can withstand the constant use by high school students. May not have to last another 40 years, but I don't want to have to replace them again in the next couple of years either.

Looking for a Table saw, drill press, band saw, 3 head planer, and a radial arm saw. The metalworking stuff is easy enough to get, but the woodworking stuff is seemingly more difficult.

Jet makes excellent products but I don't think you can get everything on your list from them

Comment

Powermatic would be my suggestion, but I haven't dealt with the industrial side of their tools. Neighbor has a band saw that is awesome. Selling the old tools by chance?

Comment

Probably trading some of our metalworking stuff in, but selling the rest via sealed bid. I know all the woodworking stuff will be auctioned because of its age. Its a school district so that's the way we have to do it.

The stuff is still good, its just so old I cant hardly source parts any more, and many of the modern safety features that are required were never installed on them. I guess they weren't as safety minded in the 70s. The only thing that isn't currently working is the jointer, but I don't want it working because I don't want high school students anywhere near a tool like that with exposed blades. The table saw with no guard is bad enough.

Comment

May want to check out grizzly industrial. They have some heavy duty stuff. I had one of their table saws .It worked great but I had to downsize. I bought it used and was working great when i got rid of it.

Comment

See if this stuff is in the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              See if this stuff is in the budget.

http://northfieldwoodworking.com/index.htm
              Definitely not, but thanks anyway.

Comment

It's expensive, but I would definitely try to get a Sawstop table saw. If it saved one kids finger, it would be worth it just in legal bills.

Comment

I tried Jet Tools and had a couple high end items break within a month, I sent them back and went with Baileigh Ind. and we have been thrilled with the result!!! If you opt to consider going this route shoot me a pm and I can get you the info needed for a discount. I've become pretty close to the guys their and you can't go wrong with them, great product and ever better customer service!!

They also make all the woodworking equipment as well...

If you opt to go a different brand I can relay the info I found out after 5 months of searching, a lot of these items are simply painted a different color and re branded all from China aka "Cheapo Junk" and will not hold up to your uses!!! The reason your still using the stuff you currently have is because it's all more than likely American made and was heavy duty stuff at the time but that's not the case any more rest assured!!! Gotta watch your six these days or you will end up with a 6 month old poj !!

If your in the market for a band saw let me know as well. I ended up with 2 very nice set ups and we only need one come to find out.
                  Last edited by Ol Thumper; 02-13-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                    May want to check out grizzly industrial. They have some heavy duty stuff. I had one of their table saws .It worked great but I had to downsize. I bought it used and was working great when i got rid of it.
                    Grizzly is 100% junk for daily use, been their and done that!! Cost me $4,000 to learn that lesson. Weekend warrior machines, just fine but not daily use.

Comment

Ok maybe I can help I work for Blackhawk industrial and might be able to help you we deal direct with the industries best tool manufacturers and can offer you best quality products at a very reasonable price.. Send mea PM if your interested....

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                        Definitely not, but thanks anyway.
                        Sorry. I guess good ole USA products are to good for our children to learn on. Or to expensive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          Sorry. I guess good ole USA products are to good for our children to learn on. Or to expensive anyway.
                          Ide love to get some good American made stuff, but unfortunately those are just too pricey. Working on a limited budget, and there's just not enough there to swing for those. Its the ag department, not the athletic department, so we have to make due with a smaller budget. They only gave me about a $50K budget to buy everything with. After the wood working tools, Ive still got to buy 3 new MIG welders, 10 stick welders, and $20K of it is set aside for a new computer driven plasma table.

Comment

We have had good luck with jet tools.
                            Currently have lathe, table saw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press, mortise machine, planer/molder, and drum sander. All JET brand and 2010-2011 models. They are considered light industrial for the most part.
                            Powermatic has a good reputation.
                            Grizzly or polar brand would be at bottom of list. Unless it was all you could afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                              Ide love to get some good American made stuff, but unfortunately those are just too pricey. Working on a limited budget, and there's just not enough there to swing for those. Its the ag department, not the athletic department, so we have to make due with a smaller budget. They only gave me about a $50K budget to buy everything with. After the wood working tools, Ive still got to buy 3 new MIG welders, 10 stick welders, and $20K of it is set aside for a new computer driven plasma table.
                              I know. It is tough for you guys. The trades are probably not as important to many as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X