Davis Mountains State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davis Mountains State Park

I am planning on going to this park this summer. I have never been there and was wondering if anyone has been and can inform me of anything cool to do while I'm there. Also, has anyone stayed at the Indian Lodge?

Thanks

Following

Comment

I'm in, waiting for info

Comment

Great topic, I have always been interested in checking this place out too.

Comment

NIce park, the lodge is real cool. THe restaurant, not so much, at least when we went. Don't think twice about, just go. Probably my favorite park, but I guess that depends on what you like to do

Comment

I was there a few years ago. I stayed at the Stone Village Tourist camp. It was nice for what it was. Depending on where you are coming from you will drive by Balmorhea state park. It is a great place to stop for a swim. There is hiking and bird watching at the park.

Comment

Love it..one of my favorite state parks. Javelina roam through the campground. You're not supposed to feed them but it's really fun to.
              Visit the McDonald Observatory at night and make a day trip to Balmoreah State Park. The water at Balmoreah is freezing but the snorkling is incredible.

Comment

Balmorhea State Park looks cool too. I will probably check that out as well. Thanks for the info.

Comment

It is a nice place for hiking, and horses, I stayed here every year during pronghorn season in the trailer park , wonderful public restroom / shower, lots of stuff to day trip to
                  I believe Indian lodge is closed for remodeling till June

Comment

Big Bend brewing is just down the road at Alpine for a cold one.
                    And it is all I can do to get out of Big Bend Saddlery at Alpine without spending hundreds.

Comment

Fort Davis has great tours, including a golf cart for those who have trouble walking. It is not in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Love it..one of my favorite state parks. Javelina roam through the campground. You're not supposed to feed them but it's really fun to.
                        Visit the McDonald Observatory at night and make a day trip to Balmoreah State Park. The water at Balmoreah is freezing but the snorkling is incredible.
                        X2 the McDonald observatory

Comment

The Indian Lodge is a great place to stay. It is not fancy but is always clean and the staff are always friendly. I like the restaurant and they have some of the best liver and onions I have eaten. There is a pool for those staying at the lodge with a deck overlooking it where you can watch for wildlife coming down into the campground area. If you are in the newer part it is pretty straight forward where your room is, but if you are in the old part make sure you keep the map they give you so you can find your room. As stated you can make a day trip to balmoreah state park, the observatory or to the fort if Fort Davis. You can also go down to Marfa to see the Marfa lights. A must do is to drive around the Davis Mountain loop in the early morning or late afternoon to see the wildlife. My favorite thing to do at the Davis Mtns state park is to go up on top of the mountain(where they have stargazing parties) and walk the trail back toward the fort. I travel all over the state and the Davis Mountains are my favorite place.

Comment

Working...
                          X