Field Archery for a fun change of pace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Archery for a fun change of pace!

We had a unique "Ironman" format shoot this weekend at the club. It included a 14 target field archery round, a 20 target 3d course and a 25 shot 5 spot round.

Some of you may participate in field archery, this was a first for me. (Before 3d targets were invented it was the most popular form of archery competition.) We shot 14 targets at various distances - the closest was 20 yards - the rest were at distances like 40, 50, 65 and even 80 yards! There were 5 trad shooters in our group and we had a blast. We are all 3d shooters but had no feel for arrow trajectory at those distances - I had a hard time making myself aim that high. You shoot four arrows at each target - after missing short I would walk the next ones in like an artillery gunner (I took quite a few zeroes at those longer distances but I only lost one arrow) Archers that really compete use olympic-style recurves but it was fun to try it with my hunting rig. If there is a field archery range near you, give it a shot for a fun change of pace.

The Texas Field Archery Association sponsors tournaments across the state - the SYWAT series (Shoot Your Way Across Texas) is at Cowtown this coming weekend

Man, that sounds awesome but I’d totally bone it since I NEVER shoot at those distances. Anything outside of 30yds, I have no idea!

Comment

I used to listen to a podcast where they had a guy on that shot field archery and it was quite intriguing to listen to them talk. It was cool in some regard because the target is always the same, you just shoot part of it with known distance, and part with unknown distance. It kind of already reminds me of what we go through to warm up for a 3D shoot... just go shoot at some bag targets that are usually set at 10, 20, 30, and 50 yards out.

Like you said... just a different way to go out and shoot and mix it up. Just like sometimes I like to play texas hold-em... and sometimes I like to play 5 card draw. Same cards, both are poker, different way to play, different strategy.

Comment

We have a local club down here I am thinking of joining and I just saw an event very similar to this advertised...I need to go look it back up and see when it is. Might be fun and I want to check the club out anyway to see about joining. I know there are some members that shoot traditional. My only issue is ALL of their events are on Sunday mornings and it is hard to miss church on a regular basis.

Comment

Field archery has too many really long shots for me to have fun. I’ve done it, and it was OK, but if there is anywhere close that I can shoot 3D, I would do that instead of field archery.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shot a few rounds of Field Archery at Irving when I was shooting a compound. The only time I ever broke 500, I was shooting with Bobby Hunt, who was the President of IBA at the time. Bobby has since passed away, but I shot a 528 and Bobby beat me with an Olympic Fita style recurve. I don't remember his score, but it was more than 528.
            560 is a perfect score.

Wayne

Comment

I was hoping to make this, if they do it again next year, I will try harder. Sounds fun

Comment

Field archery is fun. I guess us old fogies are the only ones that remember it. Now you know folks anchored at their chin...
                Talk to Capn Jack. He can tell you about it.

Comment

I love it, and wish the Abilene club still had their field range. It was a nice one, and NFAA/TFAA certified at one time.

Then again, I just love to shoot.

Rick

Comment

Sounds like alot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X