No announcement yet.

Bow hunting a tough buck? Would you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sniper hog light! Sounds like you've gotten some pretty good info. I'm with everyone not wanting to get in a tripod several hours before daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
      There is a big scrape 10' from the tripod. Rub line down the hill. I'll be all over your suggestion this off season. There are several bucks that are using this trail system. A couple of future champions.
      CONSISTENTLY putting yourself IN position on deer 4.5 and up takes a lot of work....at least where I've done most of my deer chasing. South and west Texas, KS was easier, on some ranches a breeze, but on most spots it's still a serious challenge.

In NE TX/SW AR/WC LA mature bucks are pretty tough to get an eyeball on, much less a pin or crosshair. Swamps, dense hardwood bottoms, overcuts/select cuts, clearcuts, over grown pine stands, etc are a tough ticket. On top of that the deer are really pressured, year round, in a lot of it. So if they survive to 3.5 they're already pretty rare, 4.5+ and they're very lucky and very smart.

As a result you'd better be very serious, very patient, be willing to do what most aren't, and know your stuff.....best info, lay of the land, etc etc etc. Even then you've still got to be very fortunate....

I read it all.... Murphy Ray, Gore, Brothers to Kroll....MSU research, TT research, etc etc Quite a bit of "it," the early info in particular, simply didn't pan out to be true, at least in my area. Dr. Kroll's stuff DID for the most part....at least before he went full tilt with the commercialization, etc. No wonder as his early research was in the piney woods and hardwood bottoms of east Texas....exactly like that of which I was very familiar.

Anyway, the info IS out there if a person wants to go find it. I just read an interesting study regarding a whitetails vision....grey to them is bright blue.....no more grey camo for me. Sad to say I didn't know that....hehehe

Anyway, I've jabbered too much.....

Great luck to you....the chase is the fun part IMOP....😉

Comment

Long sit in the tripod has been ruled out. We've (son and myself) got a plan. Going to take the game to him. Hope to file a good follow up story on Monday. We'll see...

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Comment

All I got is this time of year we ain’t staying home. Weather is nice girls are out ain’t no telling where your going to find him. You just got to be there

Comment

Whatever you have been doing isn’t working. Switch it up. Catch him going to and from the feeder, walk in early from a different direction, hunt all day, I don’t know just throwing out suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
              Whatever you have been doing isn’t working. Switch it up. Catch him going to and from the feeder, walk in early from a different direction, hunt all day, I don’t know just throwing out suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Much to my chagrin and embarrassment, it took me until the drive home yesterday to remember the old saying: "The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, and expect different results". Switch up coming.

Just hope it's not too little too late. We'll see...

Comment

Good luck. I’ve done the insanity approach many a time in years past and finally have become more flexible. More heads are on the wall as a result. Best of luck with the new approach!

Comment

Mike if you can sit in a tripod all day or even 2-3 hours where we hunt you are one tuff dude!

I ve always thought it's more important to find how and where they leave after they have full bellies. Their guard is down a little.

We set our feeders to throw 2 seconds at 11, noon and 1pm during the rut. Just in case a big boy runs thru chasin for mid day sits.

Good luck this weekend.

Comment

If you know where his bedding area is at< I would post up with in a 100yds or so of his bed. Wait all day. The moon is coming up in the midday, overhead in the evening. Back half of the day should be good movement. As stated above, when he is headed to bed, he will be vulnerable. One thing on his mind, sleep. Perfect opportunity to slip an arrow through his rib cage.

If you are dead set on hunting the feeder, I would go fishing. He obviously has you pegged. If your stand is wide open with no back or front cover, he will obviously see you.

Go hunt that son of a buck and let your instincts direct you on what to do.
                    Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-31-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Shut the feed off except in daylight. Set up a pop up an the edge and a big pile of hand corn. Get the wind right and kill him first hunt
                      Put some 'nilla on it and its a lock!

Comment

A 160” buck this late in the season. Back up on a hill a smoke that dude with a rifle.

I had to play a similar game with my avatar buck(165”). I got in real early. No lights. Scent control on point. Killed him the second weekend of the season at 18 yards at first light. I was bumping him somehow. So I changed my approach.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            A 160” buck this late in the season. Back up on a hill a smoke that dude with a rifle.

I had to play a similar game with my avatar buck(165”). I got in real early. No lights. Scent control on point. Killed him the second weekend of the season at 18 yards at first light. I was bumping him somehow. So I changed my approach.

No! Stick it out, hunt the trails like everyone else said and he will slip up... mine did!

Nothing better than hunting hard and finally getting the one you’re after WITH A BOW if that’s what you want. I did it 2 years in a row and it took me longer this year...

Good luck OP!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              If you know where his bedding area is at< I would post up with in a 100yds or so of his bed. Wait all day. The moon is coming up in the midday, overhead in the evening. Back half of the day should be good movement. As stated above, when he is headed to bed, he will be vulnerable. One thing on his mind, sleep. Perfect opportunity to slip an arrow through his rib cage.

If you are dead set on hunting the feeder, I would go fishing. He obviously has you pegged. If your stand is wide open with no back or front cover, he will obviously see you.

Go hunt that son of a buck and let your instincts direct you on what to do.
                              Not hunting the feeder any longer. Maybe never. The feeder will stay, but after thinking this out, we're (son and myself) going to slip in behind them in mornings (9:00ish), and sit all day. Catch them going away from, or going to, the feeder pen. I expect we'll be down the hill, close to the river, from the pen. There's lots of brush on that hill. I can't believe i let myself get so complacent and lazy in my hunting. Very disappointed in myself. We'll see how the weekend goes. I plan to stick with the bow. Son will have rifle. We'll be able to cover both sides of the hill / point. As my dearly departed grandmother would say - "we'll see...".

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                                Mike if you can sit in a tripod all day or even 2-3 hours where we hunt you are one tuff dude!

I ve always thought it's more important to find how and where they leave after they have full bellies. Their guard is down a little.

We set our feeders to throw 2 seconds at 11, noon and 1pm during the rut. Just in case a big boy runs thru chasin for mid day sits.

Good luck this weekend.
                                I can sit all day. But not on a tripod. 3.5 / 4 hours is all i can do though. Old hips.

Comment

Working...
                                X