2x72 grinder project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    Yep. I hate them aluminum wheels except for the drive wheel. wish I could find rubber wheels for my small 1/2", 3/4" and 1" small wheel attachment. Reeder Products don't make them that small. I prefer a 90 duro hardness. Hate them too soft 60 duro wheels.

I've read long board skateboard wheels work... not sure how long they'd hold up though.

I can't imagine they'd hold up to those rpm's
    Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 01-30-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Neato!

Comment

Finished...mostly.

STILL waiting for the SCR controller to arrive. Honestly I wish I'd just kept the controller from the treadmill...

It took some finagling, but I finally resolved the tracking issues I kept running in to. For whatever reason, I couldn't ever seem to get the motor flywheel to stay square to the frame and other wheels. Whenever I would tighten it down, it would always torque inward a few degrees. So I devised a simple stop out of some allthread rod and a couple nuts. It basically pushes back against the weak side if the motor while ratcheting it down.

I went with a rear spring, lever type tracking tension-er over my original build using the vertical tube in a tube resting on a spring. Under tension, the pilar would kinda seize in place and wouldn't "give" when adjusting the tracking wheel... this method works perfectly.

The box end wrench was a great add-on, it makes pushing down the tensioning arm very easy.

Hopefully, the missing part will ACTUALLY arrive this week. So far it was "Due" last Friday, then today... and now it just shows delayed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200203_190441.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	24607916

Name:	20200203_190326.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24607917

Name:	20200203_190334.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	24607918

Name:	20200203_190432.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	24607919

Name:	20200203_190316.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	24607920
        Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 02-03-2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

What is your estimated cost? I've wanted one for a long time, just have a hard time justifying the $$ for a commercially produced grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
            What is your estimated cost? I've wanted one for a long time, just have a hard time justifying the $$ for a commercially produced grinder.
            Maybe $300 in it so far. Most expensive pieces were the solid aluminum tool arm, wheels and the 'D' plate. If I build another, I will make my own D plate and use 1.25" .25 wall tubing for the tooling arm instead.

Recovered about $100 selling a few parts from the treadmill on ebay. Still have a good pile of steel and other parts that will be useful on future projects.

Next one I plan to build will be this design... this guy is great, I've learned quite a bit watching his vids.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ERBlOTsrA"]2x72 DIY Design & Build with YOUR Revisions - YouTube[/ame]
            Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 02-04-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

put some kind of dust cover over that motor, please!

Comment

$300 is great. Makes me want to look into making my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  put some kind of dust cover over that motor, please!
                  absolutely, will also have a dedicated hose connected to my shop dust collection system and a few well placed magnets to catch filings

Comment

It's alive!

First SCR controller was a piece of garbage. The back up came in yesterday.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lcX1rvQZ0"]2x72 treadmill motor grinder - YouTube[/ame]
                    Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 02-09-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Good job. Are you going to make a surface grinder attachment next?

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                        Good job. Are you going to make a surface grinder attachment next?
                        Nah, not many things I build require that amount of precision.

Comment

Looking Good. I just gave away a treadmill a few months ago. I'll need to see if I can find one cheap somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            Looking Good. I just gave away a treadmill a few months ago. I'll need to see if I can find one cheap somewhere.
                            The motors are fairly cheap on Flea-Bay... but only if free shipping is part of the deal.

Comment

I need one of these bad boys. Great build!

Comment

I have a motor and tracking wheel and drive wheel if you need them

Comment

Working...
                                X