Etching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etching

My wife got a cricut for Christmas and I took the opportunity to update my old zippo lighter. She cut out a stencil for me and I used a old 12volt toy charger and a salt water solution to etch through the coating down to the brass
    Attached Files

We need info on the process. Sounds pretty neat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep!!!^^^^^^^

Comment

Took an old 12 volt charger that was laying around the garage from one of my kids old ride on toys cut the end off put alligator clips on the both wires.

Make a salt water solution

ground the positive to the work piece

Dip a q-tip into the solution and clip the negative to the q-tip. Make sure it is contacting the solution and press over the stencil. You will see the q-tip yellow as the reaction occurs. It will take some time make sure you are consistent on pressure and time along the work piece.

This is the first I have done and definitely learned a lot. Some good you tube videos out there

Comment

You got that much detail using a Q tip?

That is impressive in itself

Comment

The detail came from the stencil. Wife cut one out of vinyl that covered the entire surface except the image to be etched.

Comment

I wonder if this could be done on a high carbon steel knife blade?

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                  Took an old 12 volt charger that was laying around the garage from one of my kids old ride on toys cut the end off put alligator clips on the both wires.

Make a salt water solution

ground the positive to the work piece

Dip a q-tip into the solution and clip the negative to the q-tip. Make sure it is contacting the solution and press over the stencil. You will see the q-tip yellow as the reaction occurs. It will take some time make sure you are consistent on pressure and time along the work piece.

This is the first I have done and definitely learned a lot. Some good you tube videos out there
                  Thanks. That's pretty neat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      I wonder if this could be done on a high carbon steel knife blade?

That is how logos are put on them

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                          That is how logos are put on them
                          I might have to try it.
                          Just need to figure a way to protect the rest of the blade. Maybe cover with clear nail polish?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            I might have to try it.
                            Just need to figure a way to protect the rest of the blade. Maybe cover with clear nail polish?
                            That does work. Plenty of utubes on it

Comment

sweet! Girlfriend has a silhouette cameo that unfortunately I know how to work very well. I may have to try this!

Comment

Working...
                              X