Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Thumbs up Truck tires on a UTV Crew Per PM's

In case anyone else is interested:

I've responded and posted several times the tires I have on our UTV. It's a Ranger 800 LE/EPS/'13 that we bought from a local in our area. The tires are NOT standard UTV tires, no lift, no special add on's to accommodate the tire size.

I have had NO issues with rubbing, performance...other than so smooth you would be shocked and most important NO flats and we are in rough country full of cactus and mesquite. I did have them "slimed" for added protection but really don't think it's a must!

Here are the specs for the tires..will get me out of trouble for the numerous delayed PM's...my apologies folks when I've taken too long to get back to you:

*BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain
*3 ply sidewall & C Load Range
*1215/75R15 100/97Q

All I really can say is that I've been blessed to have many different ATV's & UTV's over the years and these tires have made a BIG difference in performance and reliability. As I've told several in PM responses..the guy we bought this from said the Polaris dealer argued with him saying he needed this and that...at BIG $$, to make it work but all he did was change the rims to fit the tires and the Ranger. Additionally..if your UTV has power steering, these tires and performance are even THAT much better. Hope this helps and as for us, the ONLY way to go...also adds about a 2" +- lift just with the tires.

Kuma
Attached Images

kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

How much were they per tire?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
How much were they per tire?

They came on the UTV. If you are interested I would talk to Discount for a price...we don't buy our tires for all vehicles other than them? UTV tires, for those of us who have had to replace them, are expensive IMO. I'd rather put a tire on with a hazard warranty, I know...you pay for it, but it has worked for us for many years on various vehicles.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Love it.

I’ve got 15” wheels on my crew with with some 29” UTV tires... I’m swapping to BFGs pretty soon as our ranger runs around the neighborhood and it’s eating up the current tires.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
stxslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall and Comfort

Great write up that is so helpful. Good to know it looks is so easy and reliable. Thanks
stxslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
91cavgt
Ten Point

Not to mention, if my math is right, that tire is a little more than 8” wide. From my past experience with ATVs, once you go taller than about 27 or 28 inch tires, it starts to become difficult to find a narrow tire. The more narrow a tire is, the less of a chance of it rubbing when turning sharp corners.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

Thanks Kuma, you know what size rim theyíre on? Iím having trouble with shops down here being confused on the rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #8
Casey
Administrator

It's just a matter of time before I do this. I think the tires are around $160 a piece at Discount. Rims will be about $500 for a set. I need to figure out offset to make sure this works as I think that's kinda key.

Thanks, Don!!!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Rsp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Apple springs

I agree , it is a lot better ride with truck tires! I run super swampers on mine and have not had any issues
Rsp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Thanks Kuma, you know what size rim theyíre on? Iím having trouble with shops down here being confused on the rims.

I "guess" they are 15's as the tires are? I can't get down low enough to see if they are marked, lol! Dang bad knee's strike again......
Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
Love it.

Iíve got 15Ē wheels on my crew with with some 29Ē UTV tires... Iím swapping to BFGs pretty soon as our ranger runs around the neighborhood and itís eating up the current tires.
This is another reason why we like them. I used this UTV in land sales before I retired. The roads we would travel on tours ranged from pavement to pasture, gravel, MUD and my clients would always comment on how good the ride was. Plus...I think it really looks good besides the performance. One more thing...with this size there is not a problem with mud being thrown up on passengers. My son's Crew, at the lease, has oversized ATV tires that extend far enough out on the side that you will get covered in a muddy ride.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
kingranch
Ten Point

This is awesome
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

My dads gator has 14Ē wheels on it. He did this with buckshot mudders since that was really the only mud tire available and didnít want to buy new wheels. They worked out ok, but didnít for whatever reason get the mileage out of them as we thought he would. He went back to a UTV tires before the Gator with swimming during Harvey.

No doubt the BFG tires is a better tires, Iím curious to see what kind of mileage they get in west Texas.

It looks really good too.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Take a look at Treadwright tires. They are light duty truck tires and are usually pretty darn cheap compared to BFG, SS, Dunlop etc... I've had three sets of them on "on-road" trucks and they did well. I'd bet they'd last you a long time on a UTV.

Richard
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Russ81
Pope & Young

After this happening with a stock aluminum rim Iím leaning more and more this route. I need to figure out what the brand and model of rims Kuma has, or just carry less tubs of rice bran

Old 02-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
kumathebear
Pope & Young

I'll see if I can get my phone camera to zoom in and take a pic of the rims sometime tomorrow? Sorry again for the DAM ole' knees....."Gettin' old ain't for sissies, lol!!"
Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #17
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
After this happening with a stock aluminum rim Iím leaning more and more this route. I need to figure out what the brand and model of rims Kuma has, or just carry less tubs of rice bran

Ok, what's the story on that rim?

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #18
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:

You must have hit a big rock pretty hard huh?

BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #19
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Ok, what's the story on that rim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
You must have hit a big rock pretty hard huh?

No was hauling four molasses tubs of rice bran to feed the cows. I can barely pick them up so maybe 200-250# each? Lug nuts worked loose and going thru a ditch was the final nail in the rimís coffin, folks claim they heard the pop back at their house 200yds away :lol:

Kumaís isnít the first LT tire on a buggy Iíve seen but I like the idea of more plys for thorn protection and hauling capacity. Plus like someone posted the BFGís are cheap that size and the buckshots and other economy brands should be even cheaper.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Casey
Administrator

Kuma, I'm guessing those are MSA M28 Ambush wheels. Do you have any way to confirm or can you get a pic of them looking directly at them...up close?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #21
Killem all
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Yea what size and model wheel did u purchase? What do they run each
Killem all is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #22
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

I thought about doing that but I got rims and 28” tires for less money then 4 lt tires. Then lt tires weight more and have a really stiff side wall compared to utv tires. Plus I am sure they will have to be aired up a lot more then utv tires affected the ride and handling. My blackwaters have been an awesome tire. I have miles of asphalt on one ranch and dirt and rocks on the others. I don’t think there is a mesquite or cactus I haven’t ran over.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #23
Casey
Administrator

Kuma can weigh in to clear the air, but from studying his pics and researching this option, I think I have found the following:

His rims are MSA Ambush M28s in 15" with a 4 x 156 bolt pattern in Dark Silver. I found them, in a graphite black finish, on ebay for just under $400 a set shipped. I would prefer the graphite finish (below) for my Ranger.

https://msawheels.com/wheels/m28-ambush/

Tires are, as he mentioned, BFGoodrich Mud Terrains in 215/75/15 and those are about $160 a piece + mounting, road hazard, etc.

Now, what I THINK I see on his machine are SuperATV High Clearance Forward A-Arms. Those may be key as they are supposed to move the front wheels/tires forward about an inch which creates the room for these bigger tires and eliminates any rubbing issues. They also increase ground clearance. Chris Lilley, who is a member here and used to work at Polaris Fun Center in Bryan, suggested I look into these as option other than a lift. I have ordered a set for mine as I have a bent lower control arm anyway. I'm out $320ish on those and they'll be in tomorrow.

I hope this helps. I've been digging pretty hard on this and am pretty close to making the full jump. I will get the a-arms installed along with my new shocks and springs that were needed and plan my attack from there. I'm not certain I've settled on which wheels and tires yet. I thought this might be helpful.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #24
Casey
Administrator

By the way, those tires mentioned weigh 36 lbs. The ITP Baja Cross tires (standard utv) I have on mine weigh approximately 27.5 lbs. The BFGs are 27.9" tall and the Bajas are 26".
Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #25
Russ81
Pope & Young

Default Truck tires on a UTV Crew Per PM's

Thatís a big help. I actually bought my Ranger from Chris, bet he dreaded seeing my number on his phone with all the questions I had but he answered every one of them b

Kinda wished he still worked there, love to pick his brain on Polarisí switch from Yanmar to Koleher for the diesels

Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #26
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Kuma can weigh in to clear the air, but from studying his pics and researching this option, I think I have found the following:

His rims are MSA Ambush M28s in 15" with a 4 x 156 bolt pattern in Dark Silver. I found them, in a graphite black finish, on ebay for just under $400 a set shipped. I would prefer the graphite finish (below) for my Ranger.

https://msawheels.com/wheels/m28-ambush/

Tires are, as he mentioned, BFGoodrich Mud Terrains in 215/75/15 and those are about $160 a piece + mounting, road hazard, etc.

Now, what I THINK I see on his machine are SuperATV High Clearance Forward A-Arms. Those may be key as they are supposed to move the front wheels/tires forward about an inch which creates the room for these bigger tires and eliminates any rubbing issues. They also increase ground clearance. Chris Lilley, who is a member here and used to work at Polaris Fun Center in Bryan, suggested I look into these as option other than a lift. I have ordered a set for mine as I have a bent lower control arm anyway. I'm out $320ish on those and they'll be in tomorrow.

I hope this helps. I've been digging pretty hard on this and am pretty close to making the full jump. I will get the a-arms installed along with my new shocks and springs that were needed and plan my attack from there. I'm not certain I've settled on which wheels and tires yet. I thought this might be helpful.
Casey,

Just read your PM and finally got out to the shop to check on these:

You are right on BOTH counts with the Rims and the Super ATV High Clearance forward A arms!!

Part of "MY" lack of knowledge is when I bought the Ranger it had everything on it. I'm sure if I had to order and have these two put on then I would have known. Sorry for any confusion all......but Casey is dead on!! Enjoy, you won't be disappointed. Kuma
Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #27
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Stay far, far away from treadwright tires! My brother had a blowout not long ago and completely tore the side of his bed off. He sued them for damages and won. Ill say this again, dont use those piece of junk tires.

UOTE=Junkers88;13157418]Take a look at Treadwright tires. They are light duty truck tires and are usually pretty darn cheap compared to BFG, SS, Dunlop etc... I've had three sets of them on "on-road" trucks and they did well. I'd bet they'd last you a long time on a UTV.

Richard[/QUOTE]
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #28
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Casey,

Just read your PM and finally got out to the shop to check on these:

You are right on BOTH counts with the Rims and the Super ATV High Clearance forward A arms!!

Part of "MY" lack of knowledge is when I bought the Ranger it had everything on it. I'm sure if I had to order and have these two put on then I would have known. Sorry for any confusion all......but Casey is dead on!! Enjoy, you won't be disappointed. Kuma
I really appreciate this thread and you checking to confirm my suspicions. I really wanted this to be a no-mod bolt-on as I want to go this route. But, like everything else, if it's too good to be true, it likely is.

Everything I need to make this happen, short of rims and tires, was delivered today. I have some other priority tasks to knock out before I begin on this, but I'm looking forward to getting the Ranger on jackstands.

Thanks again, Kuma. I think you've helped several of us figure this out.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #29
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Tagged for future mods!!
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
I really appreciate this thread and you checking to confirm my suspicions. I really wanted this to be a no-mod bolt-on as I want to go this route. But, like everything else, if it's too good to be true, it likely is.

Everything I need to make this happen, short of rims and tires, was delivered today. I have some other priority tasks to knock out before I begin on this, but I'm looking forward to getting the Ranger on jackstands.

Thanks again, Kuma. I think you've helped several of us figure this out.

Yea I donít think Iíll invest the mod on my present Ranger as Iíve had several offers too trade it in for a new model. If I do trade up Iíll have this as part of the deal at the dealership.

If they wonít do it @Casey you need to make a thread of the build sir!!!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #31
kumathebear
Pope & Young

I sincerely hope this has helped those who were interested in going a different direction. We all are in different areas of the state, but I would offer anyone who wants a ride in my Crew to see the difference, I'd be happy to provide.

Folks, just from a "older TBH'R"....the ride does not compare to standard UTV tires...IMO of course! Good luck and it's an investment very much worth it...at least to my ole' bones and those who ride with us. Kuma
Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #32
Russ81
Pope & Young

Itís been a HUGE help Kuma! Got the TBH brain trust fired up and making things happen.

Top of your head what psi you running in the BFGís?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #33
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Itís been a HUGE help Kuma! Got the TBH brain trust fired up and making things happen.

Top of your head what psi you running in the BFGís?

I'm not sure? Give me time tomorrow and I'll put my gage on it and let you know? I'm always a little paranoid and judge how much "bulge" the tires show just eyeing it...if that makes any sense..lol...My late Dad taught me this "eye" method.

The Discount Tire here in Granbury I always take my truck, trailer, loaded with our Ranger to check tire levels whenever I head out is my routine. The GM is a good friend of mine and I have always trusted Will's advice on all my vehicles tire wise.

That's another "advice" from a Ole' Fart...find a business that you can build relationships with and hopefully always trust they will take care of you!

As usual...detailed response but that's just me....again, I'll let you know. Kuma
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #34
Russ81
Pope & Young

Default Truck tires on a UTV Crew Per PM's

Yes sir Iíve already learned that one and itís very true. No biggie on the pressure, I bet theyíre airing them up close to what the tire calls for, maybe a little less due to the buggy being lighter then a small pickup. I bet with the stiffer sidewalls it donít take as much.

Again thanks for starting this thread so we all could learn from it.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #35
Casey
Administrator

I'm all set. Got the wheels with BFGs mounted, new shocks, SuperATV forward a-arms. Just need to get it all installed. I will take pics of as is, as is with wheels tires, add shocks, add a-arms to show the progression.

Can't wait.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #36
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm all set. Got the wheels with BFGs mounted, new shocks, SuperATV forward a-arms. Just need to get it all installed. I will take pics of as is, as is with wheels tires, add shocks, add a-arms to show the progression.

Can't wait.
Excited to see the end result....ENJOY BUDDY!!!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #37
Casey
Administrator

Here is a peek at wheels and tires.

Name:  20180216_142252.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  78.6 KB

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #38
muddyz
Four Point

I need to do this on my mini truck. All I drive are the gravel roads around the leased and it is rough at speed with the ATV tires on there. This is great.
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #39
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:

Attachment 897198

Man I like those!!!!
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #40
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Man I like those!!!!
Thanks! They actually turned out better than I expected they would. The guys at Discount Tire were pretty excited about how they looked as well. I need to get busy getting this mod done!!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 AM   #41
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Tagged

Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #42
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:

Attachment 897198

I KNEW you would like the look...now, when you finish the project you're going to LOVE the ride and performance!! There ya' go buddy....enjoy!!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #43
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hey Casey....you get it changed out this weekend.....looking for those pic's buddy!!!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #44
Casey
Administrator

Put the tires and wheels on. They definitely rub on turns. The ride is amazing. It's like I added power steering! I love it so far.
Ranger front end is completely dismantled for a arm installation. I decided I better change bushings while I'm at it so I need to order those. I've assembled the new springs and shocks. The reassembly is on hold for parts.

I'm really going to enjoy this change. Wheels and tires alone lifted it 1.5".Name:  20180217_150238.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  108.4 KB

Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #45
COWDOG
Six Point

Hunt In: Hico / Crews

Tag
COWDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #46
Russ81
Pope & Young

I know weíve been mainly talking about rangers but has anyone done this too a Mule yet?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #47
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Put the tires and wheels on. They definitely rub on turns. The ride is amazing. It's like I added power steering! I love it so far.
Ranger front end is completely dismantled for a arm installation. I decided I better change bushings while I'm at it so I need to order those. I've assembled the new springs and shocks. The reassembly is on hold for parts.

I'm really going to enjoy this change. Wheels and tires alone lifted it 1.5".Attachment 897432

Looks GREAT!! When you get that front end done there should be NO rubbing at all like we discussed. Glad the ride was what I stated....and the lift, lol.

Whew!!!!!!! Glad I did not look like I overly praised what mine rode like!!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #48
Russ81
Pope & Young

Another thing @Casey could you post the parts list for all the components you needed for the front end?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #49
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

That looks awesome Casey!
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #50
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

I didn't think about the A-Arms.. I have Forward Arms on my crew as well.

The red one looks great!
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top