Going on my first ever Ice Fishing trip next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going on my first ever Ice Fishing trip next week

Since moving to Colorado Springs, I have certainly had to get used to some "different" things. Pretty much everything in all honesty. Hunting out here is much more difficult to say the least. Fishing also, especially since I have no boat and fish from the bank.

I started doing some fishing last spring and summer. Caught a bunch of trout, a couple over 20" with my spinning tackle. Fished hard for Northern pike, but only caught a few. They have an unlimited diet of trout here, and I got started a bit late. The biggest I landed was a 24", but had a couple of sure enough dandies follow my bait up to my feet fishing with waders.

Ice fishing is something I have never done. Never really even considered it being from the south.

Well, at 52 I'm going to go on my first trip. I have a good friend here who has all the stuff, and I mentioned I wanted to try it, and he said let's go. The lake we are going to had 4 to 8 inches of ice on last week, and the weather has turned colder so I expect to see a significant increase by the time we get up in the mountains.

He has the ice house (a deer blind that is blue), the manual auger, and the little shortie poles (called dock demons in the south). Here you are only allowed to fish 2 rods, and that's only if you buy an extra rod stamp.

He says we will catch a lot of fish, so I'm excited to give it a roll. I'll report back after the trip, if I don't freeze to death!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck.

Comment

Don’t drink to much while you play games and kinda keep an eye on your poles... at least that’s how they do it in North Dakota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy if you can stay warm. Looking thru the hole the water should be crystal clear. In South Dakota we could see the big walleye swimming by our bait.

Comment

I'm really hoping to get into some pike action. I've learned how to clean them and get the Y bones out and they are very tasty battered and fried.

I think the reservoir we are going to has mainly trout and pike in it. The trout from it are pretty tasty also, but there is a limit of 4 per. No limit on pike!

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

I really enjoyed ice fishing in Colorado, some days so warm I just had sweatshirt on, had to take off coat. No cooler needed, just put beer in the snow

Comment

It’s another fun way to fish, did it after church a lot in Minnesota as a kid

Comment

Post tons of details and pictures!!!!!

This is high on my to-do list. It almost happened this year....but Florida won out again.

Comment

Done it a few times, it is a very good time. We was not in a shelter of any type but out in the open. Caught Walleye and Pike, went again and caught crappie and bream. Your feet and hands will get cold quick.

Comment

What lake?

Comment

It’s a blast! Before you know it, you’ll have your Frabill ice shack, gas powered auger, Vexilar flasher, and all sorts of stay warm snivel gear. Most of all, enjoy yourself

Comment

I’ve always wanted to try that. Seems like a good time!

Comment

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Comment

I miss ice fishing stay warm enjoy the peace and quiet make sure to keep your holes clean good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X