Looking for a new carry pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a new carry pistol

Help me out here. I had an epiphany recently in regards to my every day carry which is a subcompact Keltec PF-9. I have carried it nearly every day since February of 2012. Well, I bought it used and the guy I bought it from told me it had about 200 rounds put through it. I have put an additional 450 rounds through it and it is starting to show it's age and use. Along with increasing issues in the country and world, I think it is time to upgrade to a larger capacity 9mm.

I always carry 2 extra magazines, but since they are only 7 round magazines that means I only have 22 rounds(one is always in the chamber) at my disposal. The big problem is I have small hands. Most double stack pistols I have tried don't feel right because they are too thick.

I'm going to keep the PF9, but plan on using it as a backup. The main reason I'm looking at a new pistol is due to the wear and tear my PF9 is showing. It's slide has pitting in it due to rust on the left side. This is caused from me sweating while carrying it and not being able to clean and lube it right away. It has 650 rounds through it and I am starting to see the wear on internal parts when I tear it down to clean it. Plus, I recently shot a different pistol and I was MUCH more accurate with it than my PF9. So, I'm going to get a list of pistols to look at, then go to an indoor range where I can "rent" those pistols and see how they feel with a few rounds put through each one

So, I guess what I am looking for is either a high capacity single stack (like a 10 round magazine) or a narrow double stack, not quit 1911 size wise, 9mm since I already have a lot of that ammo and I don't want to have to buy a new caliber, and one that is reasonably priced(less than $500 new). So what would y'all recommend I go look at and shoot?

I am not much help on the mag capacity besides start looking at the glocks. My personal recommendation for carry is XDS

Comment

Narrow and double-stack is hard to find. If I were looking for more rounds in a carry gun it would be a glock 19 or something similar.

I've tried carrying a couple different double-stack guns and even thought they are marginally thicker than a single-stack they were uncomfortable to the point that I went back to a single-stack for inside belt-carry or a revolver for pocket carry.

Doesn't help that I have belly to deal with My skinny son has no problems carrying a glock 19 everywhere he goes.

Comment

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a narrow double stack. That being said, there are lots of options out there. You'll just have to find one that fits. My GF has a M&P Shield in 9mm, I have the Shield in .45 ACP. I'm looking at the Sig P320 and the FN 509 as well. A 4 inch barrel is pretty concealable and 17 round capacity in the 509 is nice. I just haven't found one to play around with yet.

Comment

I would recommend Springfield XDS 9mm. I love mine. Standard mag is 7+1 chambered, but I have an extended mag for 9+1. It's probably the best handgun I've owned.

Comment

I would go with the Sig Sauer p250. It's a great 9mm with the reliability of a Sig. It is also very adjustable(different size grips and other little adjustments). The only downside to me is the double action pull. However, with a little practice it really is not that bad. I think if anything it forces you to be a better shot. If you want to go a little bit up on the price the Ruger SR9 series has always been a favorite of mine.

Comment

I carry my XD9 Sub-Compact daily. Double stack with either the 16 or 13rd mag.
              Cross breed super tuck holster @ 5 o'clock position all day.
              I dont carry any spare mags on my person, only in the vehicle. I have 16+1 ready to go.
              Great shooting pistol too. I have smaller hands and it is very comfortable.

Comment

Get a good In the Waist Band holster, such as the Crossbreed or an Alien Gear. I love my Alien Gear Cloak 3. I'm a big guy (5'9", 280lbs), and my pistol stays on my side. I carry the XD 9mm Subcompact. 1 in the Chamber + 13 rounds in the first mag, 16 in the Extended mag in pocket. 30 9mm pills for those who would seek to harm my family.

I highly recommend the cloak 3 IWB Holster from Alien Gear. its cheap (35 bucks) and they stand behind it. The new Shapeshift from them looks great as well, giving you multiple options, IWB, OWB, Appendix, Paddle... But it is a $100.

Get a Good gun belt to support the weight of a double stack, and it will not seem as bulky.

Comment

Check out a CZ, thry have some 9s that are double stack but narrow enough ti fit my stubby hand

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                    I am not much help on the mag capacity besides start looking at the glocks. My personal recommendation for carry is XDS

I'm going this route. Switching from carrying my 1911 w/5" barrel.

Comment

G19 or SIG P320 Compact.

Comment

Stealth and extra mags. You will not be disappointed with the Performance Center Stealth I promise. Nine or forty.

Comment

Single stack - Glock 43 or Shield9. Honorable mention to the XDS9.

Double stack - Glock 19 or M&P9c. Honorable mention to the Glock 26.

For my single stack gun, I switched from the XDS9 to the Glock 43. The XDS9 has a better stock trigger, but overall was a heavy little gun.

For my double stack, I like the 15+1 rounds in the Glock 19. My wife's M&P9c carries about the same feel on the belt, with only 12+1 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Stealth and extra mags. You will not be disappointed with the Performance Center Stealth I promise. Nine or forty.
                            I think he means Shield, not Stealth. The Stealth is a 44 mag wheel gun.

Comment

Originally posted by RevMS View Post
                              G19 or SIG P320 Compact.

These would be my pics. I carry a 19 with a +3 extension gives me 19 rounds. I have fairly small hands and have no issues.
                              The 320 gives you a lot of customizable options for diff hand sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X