9mm vs 40 pretty good read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feds are going back to the 9mm. This has comparions and why the switch...........again.

Interesting article but he seemed bias toward the 9mm.

For me I have shot a 40 so I cannot give a comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
      Interesting article but he seemed bias toward the 9mm.

For me I have shot a 40 so I cannot give a comparison.
      Agree. I have never owned a 9mm. I have had 3 40 cals though.

Comment

A decent article, that brings you right back to where you started

Comment

.45 still wins!

Comment

I have so much ammo for a .40, I could go broke switching ! Not that I want to

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              .45 still wins!
              Ding ding ding

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I have so much ammo for a .40, I could go broke switching ! Not that I want to
                A good reason why I won't be switching anytime soon....not that I would anyway

Comment

After shooting and seeing penetration of both on pigs I liked the 9mm better.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    After shooting and seeing penetration of both on pigs I liked the 9mm better.

Gary
                    Penetration is only part of the story. Most handgun rounds will go deep enough to hit vitals so penetration really shouldn't be included in this discussion. What this boils down to is that the 40 cal creates a little bigger wound channel, a little more hydrostatic shock and cost a little more to shoot. The Feds decided that the little bit more really wasn't worth the recoil and cost so they switched to the 9. Unfortunately the department I work for bought into this logic and is switching all issued HG's to 9mm. I hope they let me keep the 40.

Comment

To me, a smaller frame and hand size, the recoil difference is enough I prefer the 9 as well. Now a bigger hand and person may not have the same feel. But I don't carry one for a living. And honestly, from a previous study from the FBI on this thing, even the venerable .45 doesn't have true "knock down". There is such a slight difference in the two I think the 9mm is sufficient for my personal use. But I prefer the .45 as well.

Gary

Comment

I'll be keeping my 40s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After watching just about every single video tnoutdoors9 has made on YouTube, I believe it is more a choice of do you prefer a trade off of capacity for the considerably larger hole of the 45 or the additional capacity of the 9mm. The 40 is no different than the 9. Slightly heavier and slightly slower to get to the same point...just with more recoil and fewer rounds.

(Insert several paragraphs of internet gun forum "expertise" backed by absolutely no actual experience whatsoever)

Comment

I have seen more people live from 45 bullet wounds than 9. Even a woman who took 3 rounds of 44 mag to the head.

Some folks are just lucky I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have shot a 40 as much as I have shot a 9. For me it was a couple of things. The economics of the ammo and the ability of my wife and son to manage the recoil of the 9. My preference would be 40 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X