The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    Thanks for the prayers and cheers guys! Surgery went great and I have been walking since Sunday and off pain narcotics as well! Only a few Advil here and there now. I am amazed at how well I am recovering. Rehab starts today (the hard part of knee surgery) but I am looking forward to it.

I have no doubt I'll be ready for the high country come hunting season.

Excellent news, you won't know what to do with full strength in that knee.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
      Thanks for the prayers and cheers guys! Surgery went great and I have been walking since Sunday and off pain narcotics as well! Only a few Advil here and there now. I am amazed at how well I am recovering. Rehab starts today (the hard part of knee surgery) but I am looking forward to it.

I have no doubt I'll be ready for the high country come hunting season.
      That's good to hear!

Comment

Just got my Elk back, that I killed in Sept., from taxi.
        Attached Files

Comment

Beauty Pernell!!!!

Comment

Thanks, I hunted a long time to kill one that big.

Comment

Beautiful trophy Pernell.

Comment

Awesome mount, pernell!!

Comment

wow - that's nice!

Comment

Nice work! Hope i can pull a tag this year might have to buy land owners tag after sitting out last year.

Comment

Question for you veteran elk hunters....How much does the moon phase effect planning your hunts? Do you try to stay away from full moon hunts or just focus on the rut activity timeframe?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Question for you veteran elk hunters....How much does the moon phase effect planning your hunts? Do you try to stay away from full moon hunts or just focus on the rut activity timeframe?
                        Better to focus on rut timing. The peak elk rut within the same 3-4 day window each year, around sept 21 in Colorado, weather and moon phase can effect the intensity, as well as pressure can, but the rut won't change based on moon phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          I am still developing a Moon Phase theory and likely will do so for the rest of my hunting career. I've killed a bull a few days after a full moon and gotten skunked during a new moon during what I thought were perfect rut dates.

Elk are gonna do what they want!

I would try and hit the rut, especially if you are going into and area cold.

That said, with a 9/19 Full Moon this year I would hit one side or the other and if you are going to CO, the rising moon is right during Muzzleloader which could give you a whole different list of problems to deal with.

Comment

Thanks fellers.... I am gonna stick with the same mid-Sept trip. I pretty much had too with my work schedule anyway.

Comment

it's all based on photoperiod and weather will typically dictate what you see during daylight hours. If you can't make it mid-late Sept, there's always a lot of cows that tend to cycle again around 2nd rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by bullelk View Post
                                Nice work! Hope i can pull a tag this year might have to buy land owners tag after sitting out last year.
                                Let me know if you need help with a unit 15 tag. If I draw a 16a tag I might can get you one of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X