Need New Arrows! Help with spine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need New Arrows! Help with spine!

I am looking to get some new arrows so any help would be great. I have been bow hunting five years but am still pretty much a novice at the set-up side of things.

Here is my bow set-up:
    Hoyt Turbohawk
    28" Draw
    65# (previously set at 60#)
    Current arrow:Easton Epic Realtree Camo 400
    29" length
    9.3 GPI = 270 @ 29"
    2" blazer vains
    broadhead:
    125 grain G5 Montec

I am trying to decide if I need to stay with the 400's or go to the 340's.
    Also, the camo are a heavier arrow so the black 340's are about the same as the camo 400's. The chart seems to show me right on the border of the two.

400 - 8.6 GPI (black); 9.3 GPI (camo)
    340 - 9.5 GPI (black); 10.2 GPI (camo)

Also, should I consider a different arrow length?
    Also, is the lower number a stiffer spine, i.e. 340 is stiffer than 400?
    Last edited by 12thman; 11-16-2010, 02:22 PM.

I just bought some carbon express pile drivers. After getting them sized I went to the back yard and took some shots and was impressed. The penetration was deep and the groups got tighter. These arrows are heavier than my previous ones and they seemed to quiet down my bow a little as a bonus.

Comment

Look at the post you just moved from.

Comment

If you are right on the border between the 400 and 340, I would go with the stiffer 340 and not worry about one being heavier. Heavier is better for penetration and stiffer will be a little more forgiving and easier to tune with BH's.

Comment

if i go with a shorter arrow, will that also make it stiffer.

Comment

You could probably cut off 1 to 1.5 inches off your shaft, and drop your BH weight to 100gr and maybe even slide in to a 500 shaft with your current set up. A 400 at 28" with a 100gr BH would be awesome in that rig, and faster than you think. Black or camo doesn't matter other than total shaft weight. It does not change the spine of the shaft.

Comment

Personally, unless you are a speed freak, I would suggest that you stay with a heavier arrow,especially if you are into hunting hogs. In some cases even when you start loosing KE out of a set up going heavier on an arrow, your momentum (the ability to penetrate) still goes up and on hogs and/or big game that is important. Your set up is great for most animals, but when dealing with bigger game, hogs (thick hide), elk or moose, an arrows ability to penetrate could mean a clean kill or just a wound.

I am a converted speed freak that proved to myself thru testing that a stiffer spine and heavier arrow helped in all aspects of shooting. Accuracy, bow noise, penetration and flight stability in wind.

Comment

Easton flatlines

Comment

Originally posted by 12thman View Post
                  if i go with a shorter arrow, will that also make it stiffer.
                  Yes.
                  If you are close to 400/340 at 29 inches, then making your arrow shorter will move you in the direction of the 400.
                  Now technically it's still a 400 spine, you are just changing one variable to move you to the 400 as proper spine.
                  Go from 125 to 100 grain head will move you in the same direction also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    Personally, unless you are a speed freak, I would suggest that you stay with a heavier arrow,especially if you are into hunting hogs. In some cases even when you start loosing KE out of a set up going heavier on an arrow, your momentum (the ability to penetrate) still goes up and on hogs and/or big game that is important. Your set up is great for most animals, but when dealing with bigger game, hogs (thick hide), elk or moose, an arrows ability to penetrate could mean a clean kill or just a wound.

I am a converted speed freak that proved to myself thru testing that a stiffer spine and heavier arrow helped in all aspects of shooting. Accuracy, bow noise, penetration and flight stability in wind.
                    Hey slinger, r u using weight tubes on ur xt's to get them to 560? weighted inserts? Gt's are light arrows, just curious.......back on track, I believe Easton cuts you off a 400 spine @ 29" when u get to 62#s
                    Last edited by TedStriker; 11-16-2010, 10:22 PM. Reason: Off subject

Comment

man i shoot a 29 in draw . try shooting a smaller broadhead . i think your to big. i shoot 75 gr. and man it makes a wourld of difference.

Comment

get rid of the g5s there junk. ive got the 125s and the 100s they you can buy iff you want them

Comment

Take a look at the Easton N-Fused Axis arrows. Small diameter means great penetration. I typically see complete pass throughs.

Comment

I have had no problems with pass throughs or harvesting animals. Just need new arows and I think since I have gone up in draw weight I have moved out of the 400 range. I think I will probably cut my arrows down an 1"-1.5" and that will bring me back in line.

Comment

I'm really happy with CarbonTech Rhinos for hunting and general shooting. My finished arrows are 31" long (I don't want/like) a razor sharp broad head on top of my hand holding the bow at full draw and weight around 500 grains. They do penetrate very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X