No announcement yet.

Every thing crossbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really appreciate all the information here, as I am about to try to purchase my son (9yrs old) his first crossbow. He has been shooting a compound but not into huntable draw weights yet, and I believe he is ready for the woods. Any other suggestions on crossbows with shorter stock options or ease of use would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
      I really appreciate all the information here, as I am about to try to purchase my son (9yrs old) his first crossbow. He has been shooting a compound but not into huntable draw weights yet, and I believe he is ready for the woods. Any other suggestions on crossbows with shorter stock options or ease of use would be appreciated.

Depends on your budget, if I where on a budget I'd go with the sniper 370, or try to find a used mission, Excalibur or a tenpoint. With a good set of arrows pretty much all the models out there will do what you want as long as you do your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but...Does anyone use Blazer Vanes or Quick Spin on their bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by R Dubya View Post
          This may be a stupid question, but...Does anyone use Blazer Vanes or Quick Spin on their bolts?

Not a stupid question at all, and yes they do, and I have. But the one thing to consider with using a tall vane like a blazer is to wether or not your barrel groove is deep enough to accept them, most are but I have read where it has caused issues for some. It can cause accuracy issues, as well as taking a chance on a dry fire by not allowing the arrow to fully rest on the flight track.

Comment

Bought the Sniper 370 and it came in today. Quick few minutes to put together. I hope that tomorrow I can get in early enough for some target practice. Any recommendations on bolts for this crossbow. AND I know it is probably somewhere in the thread, and I missed it, but One man I know uses the Rage crossbow broadhead in his (the head with the razor front?) appears to do the job as long as the shooter does theirs, any other suggestions on Broadhead?

Comment

Bought the Sniper 370 and it came in today. Quick few minutes to put together. I hope that tomorrow I can get in early enough for some target practice. Any recommendations on bolts for this crossbow. AND I know it is probably somewhere in the thread, and I missed it, but One man I know uses the Rage crossbow broadhead in his (the head with the razor front?) appears to do the job as long as the shooter does theirs, any other suggestions on Broadhead?
              I have the same crossbow and I shoot the Carbon Express Piledrivers. For Broadheads I use the 100gr Montecs. I tried the 125gr 4 blade wac’ems, but they did not fly with my field points. They were way low left. The Montecs fly great. Hope this helps.

Comment

I recommend black eagle executioners for you arrows, and I personally like slick trick , ramcat, and Qad for a fixed head as long as they fly the same poi as your field points in your setup . If your looking for a mechanical head I know the shwacker heads have done a great job for us, and a very accurate as well.

Comment

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

I started out with a Barnett Recruit for my 7 year old grandson since I thought it would be easiest to get him into the archery season. Then a torn left rotator cuff forced be to sign up and I bought a Scorpyd Ventilater and later a Mission Dagger.

I like them both, the Vent has the Vortex XBR, the Dagger wears the Zeiss XB75. I'm an optics guys, prefer better than they need to be. I had a Hawke, sold it rather quickly.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
                      I started out with a Barnett Recruit for my 7 year old grandson since I thought it would be easiest to get him into the archery season. Then a torn left rotator cuff forced be to sign up and I bought a Scorpyd Ventilater and later a Mission Dagger.

I like them both, the Vent has the Vortex XBR, the Dagger wears the Zeiss XB75. I'm an optics guys, prefer better than they need to be. I had a Hawke, sold it rather quickly.
                      Very nice!
                      I wish they still made the XBR. Do you prefer it over the XB75?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                        Very nice!
                        I wish they still made the XBR. Do you prefer it over the XB75?
                        bad thing is zeiss quit making the xb75 as well

Comment

Started with a barnett quad 400 5 yrs ago to see if crossbows were for me...still use it and haven't felt the need to change......puts them down quickly and accurately. I use a tact zone by excaliber...great scope. As far as noise at release.....noisy to us when pulling the trigger....but when fired by a buddy and you are sitting 30 yards in another location you can barely hear the CB fire. Crossbows are so fast that deer or other animal loading up and "jumping the string" doesn't happen with an accurate shot. My opinion...don't micromanage what really isn't a big concern. And as noted by a previous comment...they all are good. I don't take shots beyond 35 yards anyway so I can't speak of those longer shots. I just know that when I'm taking shots at my bag target out to sixty yards just because.....my CB scope combination is dead on. Alot of barnett haters out there....but if you get a good one it won't let you down. String maintenance is key and waxing the string and rail will make it go along ways.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
                            bad thing is zeiss quit making the xb75 as well
                            You can still find them though.

Comment

Heres mine - TenPoint Carbon Nitro RDX. Ive had it since last October and love it, I have hunted with it, but haven't shot an animal yet. I know it is darn near impossible to get it out of the block target.

im glad I got the one with the crank. I did notice the center serving is taking a beating. Cabelas told be they would reserve it for like $5.

I shoot the TenPoint Brand bolts with schwacker broadheads
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Japeatr; 11-03-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I have been Bowhunting for almost 6 years now,the last two primarily with longbow and recurve, and I think this crossbow deal has reverted me back to the beginner stages. Trying to get the centerpoint set-up for my son. While in Corsicana this evening I bought a pack of GT Ballistics. They are a good bit heavier then the bolts that came with the crossbow almost 100 grains heavier. We have not had a chance to sight in anything yet, so I thought why not start out with a heavier bolt. When I got home I read on the back of the box (I know, fine time to start reading now...) it says the ballistics bolts are from 150-175 # the Centerpoint Sniper 370 is 185 # draw weight. Are these bolts safe to use or should I just return them and try something else?

Comment

Working...
                                X