Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
    Ask yourself a series of Questions.

Are you the kind of hunter that needs to see deer every sit? Yes=West No=East

Are you going to be badly disappointed if you don't kill your target deer every year? Yes=West No=East

Is a challenging deer season going to ruin your season? Yes=West No=East

It's night and day different hunting and I have spent quite a bit of time hunting both areas. The things I really didn't like about West was how badly the deer heard could be affected by droughts. I didn't like being limited to bowhunting out of a ground blind most of the time. I didn't like the fact that almost every place I ever hunted out west had cattle or some form of livestock to contend with.

All that said, it's fun knowing you're going to see multiple deer just about every sit when the feeder spins. Deer were much easier to pattern and hunt. I just about knew that if I located a target buck that I was going to get an opportunity to kill him if I put my time in.

The things I hate about East... PIGS! I hate them, they ruin my life! The deer are much harder to hunt in most cases. You may make multiple hunts without seeing a deer at all, especially if you're expecting to camp out and guard a feeder.

I love the hunting more in East Tx. It's a challenge and you really need to put some thought into every hunt. I love the sound of oak leaves crunching under a steady gait coming your way. I love when it all comes together and you get an arrow or bullet in a mature buck.

For me I pick East every single time but I'm also not going to choose the first place that comes available that has a pine tree on it. If you're fortunate enough to get on a well managed lease in E. Tx the sky is truly the limit on what you might shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Truth! I feel bad listening to all the people talk about crowded east TX hunting leases. Find the right one and it'll give west TX a run for its money every time.

Comment

If you want pics of black panthers and bucks only on cam around midnight take the east Texas lease.

If you do go east Texas make sure you go with those quiet feeders for the really big 2 yr old bucks!

Comment

Too many crazies in east Texas, I always choose to go west.

Comment

East TX vs. West TX leases

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          If fed the same,, Ii feel east t will grow the largest bodies.. Look at Elgatos deer. They are the same east tx blood line and he gets them close to 300lbs by worming and making sure they are well fed.

Worming deer? I might as well go out back and kill the biggest cow. When you start worming deer you're running a cattle operation.

Last edited by Black Ice; 08-10-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

709 inches, I mean reasons, I love East Tx. That's just shy of a 142" average. My West Tx avg is substantially lower.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
              Let's be a little more realistic.
              Hahaha!

Comment

Hunted east Texas for 20 years in harrison county before the 13 inch rule. Very seldom did we get a nice deer (120 class). They place for let go due to timber rights, then the 13 inch rule went into effect, somkt might of helped it. But those 20 years has screwed me and I'll never go back. I hunt in west Texas now and love it. Best of luck.

Comment

But I will say east Texas produces some big sum bi+chs!!

Comment

I've been saying for years, the only thing wrong with East Texas is the East Texans. So before the people from East Texas pile on for saying that, I'm an East Texan.

I finally got fed up with all the poaching, theft and trespassing. It was a constant battle. If you weren't there enough, people started to think you were gone and they'd treat the place like their own.

I love being able to hunt a place that I don't EVER have to worry about.

Comment

The lease I belong to in East Tx now has been around for over 40 years. I certainly hope it lasts that much longer. I just dumped about ten grand into it and look forward to learning the place. I enjoy East Tx because it is a short enough drive that I can go just about anytime I like. Plus, the challenge of hunting East Tx is a lot like hunting La.

Besides, I like shooting woodys, squirrels, and rabbits also. Nothing like watching that sun come up from a tall pine or big oak on a creek bottom.
                      Last edited by Bayouboy; 08-11-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I have hunted both and I have to say if you enjoy seeing deer just about ever time you go out then go west. If you enjoy fighting skeeters, seeing one deer a month maybe and it not being big enough to make it legal then hunt east. Yes there are places in ET that have more deer but most of those are taken. Yes I know there are big deer in ET too but if you go WT in the right areas you get the big bonus of exotics. Which you can hunt year round, taste better, and most have a lot more meat on them than a whitetail in TX ever dreamed of having. Also you can legally kill those pesky rattle snakes in WT. I live in Waller county and we are in the post oak savanna looking area, no pine trees, and we have a decent deer herd around the house but that mostly because not many folks hunt them. Growing up around there we rarely seen any deer. We got a place in Leaky and WOW we would see deer everyday. So its up to what you can afford or preference but for the shear fun of seeing lots of animals Id go west. Mason and Brady area have some good sized bucks and a few exotics running around plus turkeys. I sat on day and had 21 deer at my stand and only 3 were does. Of the bucks 6 were 4yrs old or older. You just do see that in ET getting on a lease.

Comment

Something else to consider is how much time you get off work to hunt. To me a trip to West Texas isn't worth it for anything less than 3 days. With my ETX lease I can on the stand in 45 minutes so I can hunt pretty much any weekend at least a couple of hunts. So when your wife makes Saturday night dinner plans on the October full moon you can still hunt Saturday morning drive home then go back Sunday morning.

Comment

LOL at West is "shooting". I am in San Saba, not west and I have been hunting the same two bucks for 3 years. Have not been able to get a shot. They should be 150ish this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              LOL at West is "shooting". I am in San Saba, not west and I have been hunting the same two bucks for 3 years. Have not been able to get a shot. They should be 150ish this year.
                              That's just because you suck at hunting and smell like BBQ and stale beer!

Comment

The closest I've hunted to West Texas is the Hill Country and saw more deer than I've seen in one season at a feeder than back East. However, in my opinion, there's nothing like being in a yaupon thicket surrounded by big pine trees with creek bottoms filled with oak flats. I love the challenge of East Texas hunting. It can be frustrating but when you finally connect on something you know you worked hard for it. Also East Texas has taught me to be a smarter/better hunter and the deer in my opinion are bigger. One more thing to note, I've seen Chocolate brown antlers on deer every where but for some reason I see it more frequently on East Texas deer. I don't know why and I could be wrong but I love those shiny Chocolate brown antlered Bucks

Comment

Working...
                                X