Reloading for an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading for an AR

This might be a dumb question, but couldn't really find the answer . I have reloaded for bolt rifles for years and never had the need to crimp the bullet after it is seated. But I am hoping to do a little reloading for my AR in both 300 BO and .223.

Is it generally considered a "must" to crimp the bullet when reloading for a semi -auto, or is it generally a good idea. I will be reloading primarily for accuracy and for special sub sonic loads once I get my can.

I have some 30 caliber Hornady Interlocks which have a cannelure. But if you simply crimp in the cannelure, aren't you really limited in seating depth, which prevents seating according to your lands??

Thanks for suggestions.

In an AR your seating depth is limited by magazine. You can let it out a bit but not as much as a bolt gun.

As far as crimping goes. I don't crimp any of my 223 ammo. Because I shot them out of both AR and bolt gun. I personally have not had any trouble with bullets backing out or pushing in either.
    Tuned in to see what others have to say. I might learn something new today.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I crimp all my ammo. I don't think it is absolutely necessary in an AR, but my ammo is made from range brass, tossed in an ammo can,and loaded and unloaded from mags constantly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will probably try not crimping at first. I do not run many rounds and have mags that I simply put the shells in and they stay until fired. I might crimp the blackout since the Hornadys have the cannelure. But I have also bought some Makers bullets to load subsonic. These will probably not be crimped.

Comment

I've yet to crimp a round in my LR-308 6.5 CM.
          No issues to date.

Comment

I don't crimp for my Grendel, and my cousin who reloads .223 doesn't ever crimp for those. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I don't crimp

Comment

I have never crimped any of my .223 and never have had a problem.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Comment

Never crimped in my AR15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only thing I do when reloading for my AR is to use small base Dies! This insures that they will not cause any malfunctions with regards to the action when shooting!

Comment

Never crimp for my 223 or Grendel. Never had a problem with bullets in either one.

Comment

I put a slight crimp on all my AR rounds. I don't want the bullet moving at all within the casing especially in a SHTF situation and my AR's are the first weapons I'd grab in such a situation.
                          If you put a little rearward pressure on them against a hard surface to test them and the bullet sinks into the case then you need a crimp in my opinion.

Comment

If the bullet has a cannelure I crimp. If I'm shooting full auto the bullet will have a cannelure and will be crimped. I do believe it's a good idea.

Comment

All good information to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X