Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be fun regardless!

Comment

Hunted gun whitetail 2 nd season in 2014. I asked about the bowhunting results and the biologist said bowhunting there is very challenging with little to no success.

While I hunted I walked up on 3-4 mule deer does, never saw a Mule deer buck. The pasture I was in was thick along the river then opened up to open grassing plain. I would get on a high point over looking the draws leading to water and this is where I saw most of the deer.

They have plenty of water scattered around so stake out these spots and the trails leading to water.
      Watch out for snakes the grass can be waist high. Wear good walking boots and dress in layers. The wind will blow. The pasture I hunted didn't have much access via truck so I walked several miles to get to where I wanted to hunt.
      Walking out in the dark through waist high grass with the air temps warm enough for snakes will make your butt pucker.
      Saw hogs, coyotes, badger, wild cattle, mule deer, whitetail and quail. Beautiful country. Good luck.

Comment

Killing a nice muledeer with a recurve or longbow at Matador is not impossible! U just have to know the area and put in some time behind the field glasses and wear out some shoe leather!

Comment

I was drawn for the Archery Whitetail hunt at Matador WMA. It will be a big difference from hunting timber but the deer are there and the possibility is always there.

I am used to hunting the llano estacado further north and west. Post up on a hill side but dont sky line yourself and glass for movement or potential feeding and bedding areas. You may notice a pattern of movement in which you can set up an ambush. My plan is to hunt in a blinded position mornings and evenings. Will be on a constant move for the mid day times. From my experiences in the panhandle the Mule deer are going to be easier than whitetail to hunt. They seem to be harder to find sometimes though. Good luck out there!

Comment

Awesome....now i'm getting some sweet info. Sounding like its going to be rad. Thanks !

Comment

ttt for the friends that have been...i mean i get it , dry, snakes, mild chance of a recurve kill. Hunt the water. Glass without being skylined. Get a crossbow.... not. lol tell me something i don't already know.

Comment

This area has getting quite a bit of rain lately so it should be a lot greener with watering areas present everywhere. You will need something for the mosquitoes for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bucknuts View Post
                  ttt for the friends that have been...i mean i get it , dry, snakes, mild chance of a recurve kill. Hunt the water. Glass without being skylined. Get a crossbow.... not. lol tell me something i don't already know.
                  Your hunting with a recurve for Christ sake..what could we possibly tell you...

There are deer everywhere..now go kill one!!! lol

Comment

hunt lone canyon it has alot of draws you can hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by southsider View Post
                      Your hunting with a recurve for Christ sake..what could we possibly tell you...

There are deer everywhere..now go kill one!!! lol
                      lolololol

Comment

Hunted there many times, especially back when it was APH. Mule deer in all compartments, but I like the far southwest pasture (West Aermotor), seems to have more MD than WTD. There is a large draw that goes through the pasture (can't miss it, only 1 there), the east side being more open. If you sit on the west side and glass, you'll most likely see several deer in the openings across the draw (morning sun shining off the deer makes them easy to spot). Watch for the bucks to bed mid-morning and go after 'em. Plus, if your glassing spot is fairly well concealed, you have a chance of one coming by. All of this said, I've never killed one there. Missed one, got busted on another close chance. Got within bow range of another mid 130's 5X5 MD, but on WTD hunt at the time. Never had any luck at watering holes there (water isn't really scarce). Many mule deer stick around at the campground, might be good in adjoining pastures as well, but never tried there.

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

ttt

Comment

When do the good bucks start getting after the does in this area? Whitetail

Comment

I hunted Matador a few years ago. It was the rifle hunt, but I was within bow range of several mule deer bucks. With a little skill and a lot of luck, it can be done with a recurve.

On the rifle hunt, the antler restrictions are tougher, at least 4 points on one side. There are a ton of mulies around there that are nice and wide, but 3 points on either side and no brow tines. They don't seem to grow them until they get very mature. The antler restrictions for the archery hunt is easier, the spread must be just outside the ears.

I hunted the North Middle pasture. I found where the mulies were hopping over the fence from the ranch on the north side and set up there. That's not where I got mine, but I had several mulie bucks that would fit the archery antler restrictions pass within just a few yards. Would have been a chip shot with a bow.

This guy I shot at about 75 yards. Could have gotten closer but there was no need with a rifle. I got him pretty close to the windmill in the North Middle pasture. He was surrounded by does and was living the life. I hope the old boy knocked a couple out before I got him.

BTW, my avatar is the front view of that deer's rack.

Here's a few more pics of the place. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X