Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful animal!

I can imagine the exhaustion getting her to the road. I've dragged deer a mile before, it just about killed me.

Comment

Congrats man! Shes alot bigger than I thought at almost 300#. Have any area tips you can give to me? Lol We are hunting the last archery for exotic only.

Comment

Congrats on the kill.. I was in section 1 with my Dad. It was our first time hunting LA and it was definitely a learning experience.

Comment

Great pics and trophy

For those that travel light with shooting sticks (rifle) and a chair, how do you "claim" a spot? do you mark it in anyway and do other hunters pretty much respect the fact that you got there first???

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
            Finally some photos of the cow nilgai. Laguna was tougher this year due to overcrowding, the first couple days being hot and some missed shots. I missed a cow the first morning, I tried to thread an arrow between limbs and hit the branches, clean miss but when she ran I saw here bleeding. They other guys watching from 80 yards away indicated that she was already bleeding on opposite side before my shot, It looked high and back, 3rd day I had a bull at 30 yards, let one fly and again and heard the sound of hitting a limb, again! Clean miss, bent broadhead. Lucky bull. Actually glad I missed, that would have been a LONG night. I knew I was in a good area after that evening. I was within range of nilgai and deer all afternoon. I made the long trip back the next morning confident, got up in the tree and had 2 bucks come by within 30 yards, a few does and fawns the same but I was there for a nilgai. I saw several nilgai move through out of range, had another cow and calf at 30yds with no shot. I got down at noon to scout a closer spot to set for the East wind. While searching, I heard a UTV and dog whistle and knew this may spook game towards me so I hunkered down under shade between a couple of trees, removed orange, knocked an arrow and got the range finder handy. I saw the color of cows through brush and watched through binoculars, scanned right and was surprised by a big buck at 40yds looking on. The cows worked closer, I quickly made a text which about got me busted as the lead cow noticed me, I still cussing under my breath as I figured I was busted. She flicked her tail and continued forward, a calf and 2 more cows behind. I ranged, drew back and got busted by the 2nd cow, hurried and centered on the first cow quartering away and let it loose. Looked good, she ran north and hit the brush. I waited 2 hours, tracked a blood trail that kept me worried until I reached the boundary of the refuge where she ran. I thought she was gone, but peered out into an open field and there she laid! Shot was at 12:55pm, with 3 us it took til dark to get her 3/4 mile to the road. It sucked. We had vehicle come in after dark to take back to hunter check station. The volunteers (John and his family) at the check station this year were some great people, extremely courteous and supportive. I tipped them for help as they did not have to come. It was an awesome experience. I don't think I'll ever shoot at a nilgai that far into the refuge for a long time. The amount of work is far more than a deer. I'm excited to cook the nilgai and taste it many ways. Glad to have been sucessful again this year at LANWR. Good luck to the next group. I'll be tuned in! The Laguna Master is returning! [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            Way to go GBludau, thanks for the report. Did you drag it back to the road instead of quarter it in the field?

Orientation tonight seemed like a waste of time, I don't think they covered anything that wasn't already in the hunt regulations and at times they basically read it out loud to us. It was good to meet a couple of fellow TBH'ers though.

I'm pumped to start our hunt Friday morning.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well fellas I didn't make it. Arm is still hurting too bad. I booked a Hunt in Harlingen for nilgai in January.

Comment

Nice job fellas!
                Good luck to the next round of hunters!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
                  Well fellas I didn't make it. Arm is still hurting too bad. I booked a Hunt in Harlingen for nilgai in January.
                  In harlingen? Where at if you don't mind me asking

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                    Way to go GBludau, thanks for the report. Did you drag it back to the road instead of quarter it in the field?

Orientation tonight seemed like a waste of time, I don't think they covered anything that wasn't already in the hunt regulations and at times they basically read it out loud to us. It was good to meet a couple of fellow TBH'ers though.

I'm pumped to start our hunt Friday morning.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk
                    We gutted it and pulled it out to the road on our game cart. We have a good big and wide aluminum game cart, I don't think a small one would have worked.

Our orientation was the same except we did voice some legitimate questions for justification on some rules, such as no ladder stands, which there was no answer given as to justify why they were prohibited. The response we got was " We actually don't know why, but its just too late in the game to change it now" so as a response "Its not too late as we would like further consideration for future hunts as theres many more years of hunting to come". First person to say ladder stands aren't possible I will clearly educate you as to why you are wrong.

I forgot to mention topics to verbally address at orientation.

It would have been best during the orientation with all the hunters present:

I wish we would have addressed the following:

Game cameras: justify why they are prohibited. What harm do they cause? Hunters will justify why they are helpful. Just capturing a photo is in a way sucess for most bow hunters.

Vegetation trimming: Justify why its prohibited. Most hunters want to only lightly trim small twigs and limbs to make clear shooting lanes to avoid mishaps and non lethal shots. If vegetation management practices include burning, how could trimming vegetation be harmful!? Hunters are not lumberjacks clearing woods and cutting down trees!

I hit two limbs resulting in missed shots, which could have been worse such as non lethal shots.

Vehicle support for retrieval of game: Disturbing other hunters is not a solid justification. If you hunt near a road, you better expect traffic, simple as that! I'd prefer a truck to pass me twice going to and from to haul a nilgai out instead of other hunters making multiple loud noises pulling a game cart down gravel roads piecing out a nilgai over several hours. One reason alone is less meat will spoil. Make it a service fee to have vehicle support, profits got to something towards refuge. Easy money!

I could go on but my thumbs are tired..

Bring on your 2 cents, NaySayers!

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                      We gutted it and pulled it out to the road on our game cart. We have a good big and wide aluminum game cart, I don't think a small one would have worked.

Our orientation was the same except we did voice some legitimate questions for justification on some rules, such as no ladder stands, which there was no answer given as to justify why they were prohibited. The response we got was " We actually don't know why, but its just too late in the game to change it now" so as a response "Its not too late as we would like further consideration for future hunts as theres many more years of hunting to come". First person to say ladder stands aren't possible I will clearly educate you as to why you are wrong.

I forgot to mention topics to verbally address at orientation.

It would have been best during the orientation with all the hunters present:

I wish we would have addressed the following:

Game cameras: justify why they are prohibited. What harm do they cause? Hunters will justify why they are helpful. Just capturing a photo is in a way sucess for most bow hunters.

Vegetation trimming: Justify why its prohibited. Most hunters want to only lightly trim small twigs and limbs to make clear shooting lanes to avoid mishaps and non lethal shots. If vegetation management practices include burning, how could trimming vegetation be harmful!? Hunters are not lumberjacks clearing woods and cutting down trees!

I hit two limbs resulting in missed shots, which could have been worse such as non lethal shots.

Vehicle support for retrieval of game: Disturbing other hunters is not a solid justification. If you hunt near a road, you better expect traffic, simple as that! I'd prefer a truck to pass me twice going to and from to haul a nilgai out instead of other hunters making multiple loud noises pulling a game cart down gravel roads piecing out a nilgai over several hours. One reason alone is less meat will spoil. Make it a service fee to have vehicle support, profits got to something towards refuge. Easy money!

I could go on but my thumbs are tired..

Bring on your 2 cents, NaySayers!

Are the wardens not willing to help anymore if you get a nilgai or another big animal? Few years ago, they really wanted people to shoot pigs and nilgai so the warden was actually giving his number out to call him for help because people didn't want to shoot nilgai because of the work to get it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        Are the wardens not willing to help anymore if you get a nilgai or another big animal? Few years ago, they really wanted people to shoot pigs and nilgai so the warden was actually giving his number out to call him for help because people didn't want to shoot nilgai because of the work to get it out.
                        The warden I spoke with did not as he was 2 hours away, but he was supportive in other ways. The volunteers came in a refuge truck after dark. They were tremendous help!

Comment

That is fantastic to shoot that cow. I am hunting Teniente later so no registration there. Can you quarter the animal and just bring the hide back for the check in? I would personally just dress the nilgai like I would with an elk. In game bags and a cooler at the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
                            That is fantastic to shoot that cow. I am hunting Teniente later so no registration there. Can you quarter the animal and just bring the hide back for the check in? I would personally just dress the nilgai like I would with an elk. In game bags and a cooler at the truck.
                            Yes.

Comment

Good luck to the second group going out today! Looking forward to more great reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very quiet today. Here's one of my shooting lanes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171124_152339246.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	24519637

Comment

Working...
                                X