Hogs have vanished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs have vanished

I had hods on my property in Lampasas on a pretty regular basis and they usually came in small sounders of 8-12 every few nights. Last ones I saw were back in January and now NADA. I've put out some hog-specific bait and the only thing eating it is coons. I programmed my feeder to go off at midnight and I'm putting down a good bit of corn but, again, just coons and the occasional whitetail night owl. I am going to put out some grape koolaid spoiled corn and see if I can get their noses.

I've seen quite a bit of damage along the the water where they have rooted around within 50 yards of the feeder.

Any suggestions on getting them to come regular-like? I have PLENTY of water as the tank is overflowing. I have oaks and had tons of acorns over the new year. There are 1000s of acres surrounding me so it's not a "scared off by man" thing.
    Last edited by ken800; 04-30-2020, 12:55 PM.

What has worked for me is bragging to the green screen members that I have not seen hogs in a long time on my grounds.........then BAM...... they come back mad and root all my plots up...........Lol

I'm no help, if they don't come to corn piles, I am out.

Rwc

Comment

The hogs at my place usually vanish around December and return about July every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
        What has worked for me is bragging to the green screen members that I have not seen hogs in a long time on my grounds.........then BAM...... they come back mad and root all my plots up...........Lol

I'm no help, if they don't come to corn piles, I am out.

Rwc
        Thanks! Hey, Green Screen - I'm happy to report that I've been hog-free for 4 months. No hog damage. Woohoo!

There. Fixed.

Comment

This time of year they are eating tips out of wheat, rye, oats. They will stay on that over corn given the chance. It’s safe there and hard to get killed with the babies in tow

If you had em... they will be back... &&$% a hog

Comment

I wish we had this problem in Madisonville right now. My hay pasture needs a break.
            Seriously though they do the same at our place. We get hammered for a while and then they just disappear. Gives us enough time to smooth out the hay pastures and then here they come again.

Comment

We’re on a river in Wise county and they come and go. Go from seeming like we’re overrun to barely seeing any on cams at feeders. I like the in between stage where we have enough to shoot to make it interesting.

Comment

Ours are gone too. Way too much to eat right now. They will be back in the summer.

Comment

Like deer they have their specific foods at certain times of the year that will provide their needs best. Seems crazy that hogs can be so fat when it is hard to see what the heck they are eating to get that way.

Comment

I’ve had years where I could almost guarantee you would kill a hog or two on a three day hunt and now I may go 6 months to year without killing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      I’ve had years where I could almost guarantee you would kill a hog or two on a three day hunt and now I may go 6 months to year without killing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Bummer. They were on my place in Milano year-round. Heck they even came out during the day once or twice a week. Maybe they are just more prolific over that way.

Comment

Ours vanish almost every year when things start to green up in the spring, last year was the lone exception in 9 years. They start coming back around at night once it gets crispy in the summer and by october cool are hammering the place again.

Comment

I haven’t seen one on my place since January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They have just found an easier, safer, more reliable source of food for the time being. Try setting your feeder for just at dark and see if makes a difference. They may be traveling through your place at a different time. Mix it up. Also try some hand corn with a lil bit of diesel mixed in with it. Sounds strange, but they like it. Good luck.

Comment

Spring time I don’t even use my thermals this time year.

Comment

Working...
                              X