Traffic ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option 1

Show up on the court date. The city attorney will be there to offer options or he will get called in front of the judge. Ask to have it deffered. Pay the cost of the fine and don't get another ticket for whatever period they set.

Option 2

Pay a lawyer to do the same thing and there is a chance you will pay the same total amount. The lawyer will have a relationship with the city attorney and will ask for the fine to be reduced by the amount of his fee, so you are out the same amount either way. Not guaranteed to work this way but it has for me in the past.

Comment

Another option... when I was a young man somebody in my town did this and got off clean.

Have your son take an afternoon and go to the local county courthouse or largish police station. Find a nearby street with a stop sign. Stand across the street and covertly use his phone to video the police cruisers that approach the sign. Almost certainly some of the cruisers will do a rolling stop through the stop sign.

Use the video in court. Your son may not have to say anything other then, “your honor, I would like to enter the following video into evidence”. The hypocrisy would make it tough for a judge to find your son guilty.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t pay for a lawyer to get differed... hell, you can do that yourself for free. Still gotta pay the court fees regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by huntressjourney View Post
          So I got a ticket for the exact same thing in Pasadena. Paid $75 for a lawyer and he got it dismissed. Apparently, because I slowed down enough to ensure I was crossing safely then it wasn’t considered “running the stop sign”. Back then, there was no listing for exactly how long you have to stay at the stop sign before proceeding. I’m not sure if that’s changed in the handbooks, but I’d always rather pay if I have a chance to not have it on my record. 41 years old and only 1 ticket has ever stuck when I was 22 - cause my parents told me to handle it myself, so I paid it and then it was on my record. Parenting FAIL lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          No such thing as an amount of time you must sit at a stop sign. There never has been. Law requires you to come to a complete stop. That's it. There us no such thing as slowing down "enough to ensure I was crossing safely then it wasn’t considered “running the stop sign”." You either stopped, or you didn't, period. I'm not sure what your attorney's argument was, but to go in there and say you slowed down enough to ensure safe crossing is an admission that you did not stop and therefore ran the stop sign.

Comment

It’s traffic court. Not a court of evidence by definition in most cities. I’d give him guidance and have him do it.

Comment

Thinks for the suggestions. He is gonna call the clerk in the morning and then base his decisions on what they tell him.

Comment

Just call and request defensive driving.
                You can take on your phone for 25 bucks. Just stick an earbud in and watch the videos answer the questions super easy. Doesn't even distract me from work

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                  No such thing as an amount of time you must sit at a stop sign. There never has been. Law requires you to come to a complete stop. That's it. There us no such thing as slowing down "enough to ensure I was crossing safely then it wasn’t considered “running the stop sign”." You either stopped, or you didn't, period. I'm not sure what your attorney's argument was, but to go in there and say you slowed down enough to ensure safe crossing is an admission that you did not stop and therefore ran the stop sign.

I understand. But that’s exactly what happened. There was no designated amount of time to stop. I did hit my brakes; but idk if it was a “complete” stop and he couldn’t prove I didn’t..... so in my case, thrown out.

Comment

I pay lawyers to deal with traffic tickets.

Call David Sprecher in Houston.

Comment

Deferred adjudication is easiest route. Pay a little extra and it goes away. In college I racked up a long list of tickets across 4 different states. Did the lawyer thing once and it cost me as much as the ticket would have. I actually ended up doing the leg work for the lawyer which turned out all for nothing as the ticket was dismissed. Both times I challenged the tickets and went to court, they were dismissed.

Comment

I understand. But that’s exactly what happened. There was no designated amount of time to stop. I did hit my brakes; but idk if it was a “complete” stop and he couldn’t prove I didn’t..... so in my case, thrown out.

Oh, I dont doubt you at all. Lawyers can be very crafty. I was just explaining the law. Many of us, myself included, were taught in driver's education that you should stop and count to 2 (or whatever number your instructor told you...mine was 2) before you proceed after having come to a complete stop. My instructor explained to me that this was not a requirement of the law, but a good way to ensure that you have come to a complete stop. This is actually one of the questions I get asked on a regular basis by citizens. "How many seconds to I have to be stopped when I pull up to a stop sign?" Many folks think you have to sit there for two or three seconds before proceeding.

Comment

You should not need to go to court to request deferred adjudication or defensive driving. Are there not instructions for this on the ticket?

Comment

When we issue a ticket they also get an information sheet.
                            Tells how to request defensive driving etc.

What agency gave you some a ticket. In down town Houston you have Houston PD, Metro PD, Constable Pct#1 maybe more.

Comment

So I got a ticket for the exact same thing in Pasadena. Paid $75 for a lawyer and he got it dismissed. Apparently, because I slowed down enough to ensure I was crossing safely then it wasn’t considered “running the stop sign”. Back then, there was no listing for exactly how long you have to stay at the stop sign before proceeding. I’m not sure if that’s changed in the handbooks, but I’d always rather pay if I have a chance to not have it on my record. 41 years old and only 1 ticket has ever stuck when I was 22 - cause my parents told me to handle it myself, so I paid it and then it was on my record. Parenting FAIL lol

You have not had a ticket stick since this one and you call that lesson a parenting fail? Good job mom and dad..

For Christmas I think this young man should get one those dash cameras that are always recording. This will never be an issue again.

Comment

20 years old? I thought you were going to say 16.

At 20 I was married, had a full time job and was taking a full load in college. Surely he can handle something as simple as this. Has to grow up sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                X