Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Primarily Public lands/& private Honey Holes
Default Who do you hunt with?

looking for input and put out wanring for all you public land warriors.
each season I put in hundreds of hours prepping and hunting on public lands. That being said I am fully aware that anything goes. I had a TBH memeber last year reach out to me via private message on here. long story short I let him hunt with my group i normally hunt with and put this guy in a great area. He decided one of the days i wasnt around to help himsellf to my own personal setup that i was hunting and sharing with another close friend that i was also helping to get his first bow buck. Well a buck was killed from my location and the guy lied about it for 3 months before he fessed up about it. He intially said it was killed at the stand i let him use. Initially i was ok with it but the more i thought about all the effort and time and money i had put into setting my own stuff up and several other spots for friends to use it bothered me. This guy was given a free climber and deer cart by me also, i tried helping in every way i could and in the end myself and my other buddy got screwed over in a way. I know its public land and anyone can hunt anywhere they like but there is somewhat of a code between hunters i believe. He knew i was letting my friend hunt my stand there but did what he wanted anyway. Needless to say onother long time friend that shared this area was really upset about the deer being taken and we no longer speak. I wish I had just kept my info on deer sightings to myself and quit feeling like i wanna help everyone because this time it backfired. Both my other buddies have killed deer in areas i shared with them but this one ****** both of them off because they realized the deer bandit didnt put in the work to deserve the right to harvest that animal. Is what it is. Im not angry at anyone but im just posting more so to let all you guys know be leary of who you share your public land info with. Some people just want it the easy way! I MISS MY BUDDY Come back B :-(
ArcheryAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, probably your spot
Default Who do you hunt with?

Over the years Iíve become picky about who Iíll share specific information with, and even pickier about the specific spots I hunt.

I was lucky enough to have people invest in me and share with me a lot of their information so I try to pay that back as much as I can, when I can, because there are very few people willing to do the work. For me itís a 24/7 365 deal. Sometimes itís borderlines on an unhealthy obsession. But it only got that way because other people helped me and Iíve had a chip on my shoulder to prove that it wasnít just chance on my first buck.

I think we all go through hunting phases where we have something to prove. But like you and I have talked about before, the only person who cares what you kill is the person in the mirror. Iíve mitigated some of these issues by going to a hang and hunt strategy for about 95% of my hunting by using an XoP Vanish XT and a set of hawk helium sticks. People can hunt my spot if they want, but they had better be willing to work for it. But I digress.

If people hadnít poured into me, it wouldíve taken me much longer to learn what I have. And it winds up being the case that some of the deer Iíve taken may well be deer that my buddyís would have had a chance at but Iíll never really know. Thatís the chance you take.

Much like raising kids, thereís no guarantee that they turn out okay. People are going to make their own choices. Some people are going to take advantage of you, betray you or do even worse, and unfortunately people will do absolutely shocking stuff if they think it gives them a shot at a deer. Thereís really only two things you can do in that situation, and itís forgive them or be bitter about it. Forgiveness isnít reconciliation. And it doesnít mean I have to reconcile and let them back into my life. And I can totally understand not wanting to forgive someone over this because they are taking advantage of your TIME. You can make more money but you CANNOT make more time! But for me, Godís word tells me I have to forgive people because I know just how great a sinner I am in my own heart, regardless of how good other people may think I am.

Iíve invested in a lot of guys. Hung stands for them, poured out corn, gave information and all sorts of stuff only to be let down because guys just didnít wanna do it. Thatís fine. They found out itís not for them. But if I had a Booner on camera in that area I sure bet they would go in there and hunt. And I can even admit that when I and a buddy are hunting the same area that there is this small voice in my own heart that secretly hopes Iím successful and he isnít. But I know that isnít right. I know itís my flesh and the enemy of my own soul speaking in that moment and the reality is this... itís just a deer.

A hundred years from now Iím gonna be dead. So is my buddy. And no one is going to give a hill of beans about the bucks I had on the Wall once Iím buried in the dirt. C.S. Lewis once said ďThere are only two things in life that you can invest in eternally and those are God and peopleĒ. Iím not always good about investing in people over deer in some cases unfortunately, but with Godís help Iím sure trying to. But I hope you never lose a friendship over a deer. I get it, I know the money and time investment and the blood, sweat and tears that go into it for some people, especially you. But keep investing in people. Because once youíre gone that information dies with you. I wish I knew even half of what my grandpa knew before he died. There are still hunters out there willing to work, to share the info and invest in the effort. And it helps the sport ultimately if all of us decide to help in some way. Iím not saying give away spots and hand folks a deer. But early on we all need a little encouragement, especially hunting public. Youíve helped a lotta hunters over the years I know for a fact.

I know because Iím one of em Todd!

Just be wise in who you decide to actually spare specifics with!

Last edited by Kirby86; 08-01-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Over the years Iíve become picky about who Iíll share specific information with, and even pickier about the specific spots I hunt.

I was lucky enough to have people invest in me and share with me a lot of their information so I try to pay that back as much as I can, when I can, because there are very few people willing to do the work. For me itís a 24/7 365 deal. Sometimes itís borderlines on an unhealthy obsession. But it only got that way because other people helped me and Iíve had a chip on my shoulder to prove that it wasnít just chance on my first buck.

I think we all go through hunting phases where we have something to prove. But like you and I have talked about before, the only person who cares what you kill is the person in the mirror. Iíve mitigated some of these issues by going to a hang and hunt strategy for about 95% of my hunting by using an XoP Vanish XT and a set of hawk helium sticks. People can hunt my spot if they want, but they had better be willing to work for it. But I digress.

If people hadnít poured into me, it wouldíve taken me much longer to learn what I have. And it winds up being the case that some of the deer Iíve taken may well be deer that my buddyís would have had a chance at but Iíll never really know. Thatís the chance you take.

Much like raising kids, thereís no guarantee that they turn out okay. People are going to make their own choices. Some people are going to take advantage of you, betray you or do even worse, and unfortunately people will do absolutely shocking stuff if they think it gives them a shot at a deer. Thereís really only two things you can do in that situation, and itís forgive them or be bitter about it. Forgiveness isnít reconciliation. And it doesnít mean I have to reconcile and let them back into my life. And I can totally understand not wanting to forgive someone over this because they are taking advantage of your TIME. You can make more money but you CANNOT make more time! But for me, Godís word tells me I have to forgive people because I know just how great a sinner I am in my own heart, regardless of how good other people may think I am.

Iíve invested in a lot of guys. Hung stands for them, poured out corn, gave information and all sorts of stuff only to be let down because guys just didnít wanna do it. Thatís fine. They found out itís not for them. But if I had a Booner on camera in that area I sure bet they would go in there and hunt. And I can even admit that when I and a buddy are hunting the same area that there is this small voice in my own heart that secretly hopes Iím successful and he isnít. But I know that isnít right. I know itís my flesh and the enemy of my own soul speaking in that moment and the reality is this... itís just a deer.

A hundred years from now Iím gonna be dead. So is my buddy. And no one is going to give a hill of beans about the bucks I had on the Wall once Iím buried in the dirt. C.S. Lewis once said ďThere are only two things in life that you can invest in eternally and those are God and peopleĒ. Iím not always good about investing in people over deer in some cases unfortunately, but with Godís help Iím sure trying to. But I hope you never lose a friendship over a deer. I get it, I know the money and time investment and the blood, sweat and tears that go into it for some people, especially you. But keep investing in people. Because once youíre gone that information dies with you. I wish I knew even half of what my grandpa knew before he died. There are still hunters out there willing to work, to share the info and invest in the effort.

I know because Iím one of em Todd!
Shane I know you are, I believe in giving back as well. Its our responsibility as hunters to pass it on. I'm no saint, but as I've aged Im learning alot about myself and that includes recognizing the changes that needed to come with that knowledge. Ive been very lucky and blessed to have had some great people in my life and am still happy to help anyone seeking advice to this day. I hope my own judgements on myself and others are just what they should be viewed as ......... LESSONS !
Old 08-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Iím sorry call me what you will but on public land itís fend for your self, itís tough work getting on deer let alone a good buck never ever will I put some one in my stand not even my brother ... love em to death but I put in the work to harvest a certain buck Iíd like to have the best opportunity to do just that. I will fill people in on public land that I have experience with but Iím not holding a grown mans hand through it. Half the pleasure of hunting is the sweat put into it. The worst part is not showing one person your public land honey hole, itís the countless other people he may show. A hunting club I may let a close friends take deer out of my set up.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

No good deed goes unpunished. You should consider buying or leasing. Avoid most of that public land nonsense
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
Iím sorry call me what you will but on public land itís fend for your self, itís tough work getting on deer let alone a good buck never ever will I put some one in my stand not even my brother ... love em to death but I put in the work to harvest a certain buck Iíd like to have the best opportunity to do just that. I will fill people in on public land that I have experience with but Iím not holding a grown mans hand through it. Half the pleasure of hunting is the sweat put into it. The worst part is not showing one person your public land honey hole, itís the countless other people he may show. A hunting club I may let a close friends take deer out of my set up.
Public land is not for everyone for sure. I admire and respect the guy's that put forth the true efforts on their own and don't just mooch off of the ones trying to help them ! i totally respect anyones right to keep it solo!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
duckmanep
Ten Point

You tell one guy about a spot, he tells another, and it grows from there. It's bad with deer but much worse with duck.

I keep telling people about my spot but I haven't seen anyone there yet, hoping to meet some TBH'ers there one day. Best crappie and duck hole I have found and always see good deer on the walk in. 36.644943, 100.081284 are the coordinates
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
No good deed goes unpunished. You should consider buying or leasing. Avoid most of that public land nonsense
I actually love the public land pursuit. Tons of overlooked spots all over Texas.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
smithb164
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity County

I understand the desire and willingness to want to help others. Its admirable. Unfortunately it always seems like the good guys get burned in the end. That being said, I still try to continue to help and guide people in the right direction, but you should also hold some of your cards close to the vest!

I do not understand a hunting buddy/longtime friend of yours no longer speaking to you after someone you were trying to help got sneaky and "poached" one of the deer yall had been working so hard for! Its a deer at the end of the day, friendships and relationships aren't worth losing over a deer! IMO
smithb164 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
You tell one guy about a spot, he tells another, and it grows from there. It's bad with deer but much worse with duck.

I keep telling people about my spot but I haven't seen anyone there yet, hoping to meet some TBH'ers there one day. Best crappie and duck hole I have found and always see good deer on the walk in. 36.644943, 100.081284 are the coordinates
LOL,,,, Thats awesome man , love it. Share away
Old 08-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #11
macguyverberry
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak and Lavaca County

Quote:

Do you have a personal plane for use during duck season? that's an awful long way to go to shoot a duck. Or is that the Peking raising pond; would make sense for a "farm to table" concept.
macguyverberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb164 View Post
I understand the desire and willingness to want to help others. Its admirable. Unfortunately it always seems like the good guys get burned in the end. That being said, I still try to continue to help and guide people in the right direction, but you should also hold some of your cards close to the vest!

I do not understand a hunting buddy/longtime friend of yours no longer speaking to you after someone you were trying to help got sneaky and "poached" one of the deer yall had been working so hard for! Its a deer at the end of the day, friendships and relationships aren't worth losing over a deer! IMO
I agree maybe he wasnt that good of a friend after all i thought he was!
the deer being sniped out of my stand wasnt my fault sharing info with a newbie was
Old 08-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:

Who told you about that spot? That is my spot, don't be messing with my stuff.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Past few years I've gone more solo. I relish my company and my wife's company as time goes by, and after 20 years in the military, there are two ways to do something, my way, and my way. I consider myself a nice guy, but evidently some consider me as an ahole. I'll still help anyone that needs it, but you also need to help yourself.

100% exclusively public land.

Last edited by Razorback01; 08-01-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land, probably your spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post

There arenít any big deer on public land anyways.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:

diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
^ what he said ^
Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #18
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I had that happen years ago but I don't put up with that crap anymore. I hunt mostly alone now, or with one good friend. We hunt my place and he has the run of it, but he buys half the corn, helps me with food plots, trimming lanes, moving stands, etc. so he's earned his hunting. There should be a code between hunters and fishermen, but deer, fish, or women will make lots of guys act an ***.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #19
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Meh, once you give up a public land spot, you've sort of screwed yourself. Don't really think there's such thing as a claim to a spot that is free for all to use. I also think it's kind of a stretch for someone to be mad at you because this guy harvested a buck there. No guarantee at all that they'd have ever seen that buck even if they hunted every day the season was open.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #20
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I will take just about anyone on my bird leases or invite you to my ranch, but when it comes to public land ,the only one I hunt with is my son and maybe one other friend. Been burned 1 time and have seen lots of others burned by taking someone and then they take their friends etc. Sure it's public and other people know about it, but you are gonna learn it like I did. You can get out there and scout, sweat and earn it.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #21
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Meh, once you give up a public land spot, you've sort of screwed yourself. Don't really think there's such thing as a claim to a spot that is free for all to use. I also think it's kind of a stretch for someone to be mad at you because this guy harvested a buck there. No guarantee at all that they'd have ever seen that buck even if they hunted every day the season was open.
This is the truth ^^^^ itís mostly luck anyways especially on public land . Itís no different then fishing a big lake people fish the same spots you do all the time thatís just part of it I might set on that spot all weekend and not catch but a few dinks and the next guy may come in right behind me a load the boat up with some biguns you never and vice versa ! Yeah it sucks you put in the work and they didnít but what is meant to be is meant to be is what I think about it you will get your chance Iím sure of it all hard work will never be left unnoticed just remember that . And good luck I hope you get you a good one this season!!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #22
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I had that happen years ago but I don't put up with that crap anymore. I hunt mostly alone now, or with one good friend. We hunt my place and he has the run of it, but he buys half the corn, helps me with food plots, trimming lanes, moving stands, etc. so he's earned his hunting. There should be a code between hunters and fishermen, but deer, fish, or women will make lots of guys act an ***.
totally agree. and if this guy had just asked insted of just doing it and lying for 3 months about it i might feel different. i guess since he's a seasoned pro now he can find his own place with no assitance from me. everytime he looks at that deer on the wall i hope he can see it for what it is. not earned on his own
Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #23
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:

Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #24
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

My dad and two close buddies are the only people I will share any specific area/spot info with
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #25
mooch
Eight Point

Wasn't there a decently long/dramatic thread about this buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mooch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 AM   #26
cy100
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
each season I put in hundreds of hours prepping and hunting on public lands. That being said I am fully aware that anything goes. I had a TBH memeber last year reach out to me via private message on here. long story short I let him hunt with my group i normally hunt with and put this guy in a great area. He decided one of the days i wasnt around to help himsellf to my own personal setup that i was hunting and sharing with another close friend that i was also helping to get his first bow buck. Well a buck was killed from my location and the guy lied about it for 3 months before he fessed up about it. He intially said it was killed at the stand i let him use. Initially i was ok with it but the more i thought about all the effort and time and money i had put into setting my own stuff up and several other spots for friends to use it bothered me. This guy was given a free climber and deer cart by me also, i tried helping in every way i could and in the end myself and my other buddy got screwed over in a way. I know its public land and anyone can hunt anywhere they like but there is somewhat of a code between hunters i believe. He knew i was letting my friend hunt my stand there but did what he wanted anyway. Needless to say onother long time friend that shared this area was really upset about the deer being taken and we no longer speak. I wish I had just kept my info on deer sightings to myself and quit feeling like i wanna help everyone because this time it backfired. Both my other buddies have killed deer in areas i shared with them but this one ****** both of them off because they realized the deer bandit didnt put in the work to deserve the right to harvest that animal. Is what it is. Im not angry at anyone but im just posting more so to let all you guys know be leary of who you share your public land info with. Some people just want it the easy way! I MISS MY BUDDY Come back B :-(
Similar story happened on me some years ago. Then, I hunt alone on public land after that season. This lesson is not about who harvests a game, it is about the trust and respect.
cy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #27
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:

Since we are sharing coordinates I will contribute a good spot as well.

(30.1928347,-97.7152788)

Always happy to help people get started in public land hunting but somethings you just donít do.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #28
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

I hunted public land for deer one time and I will never do it again.

We picked a place in North Carolina and got there the night before and slept in our trucks. There was three of us and two trucks all hunting with rifles over looking soybean fields. We woke up at 3 am and climbed our trees to be ready for day light. It rained and rained hard all morning so we decided to get down around 11 and grab some lunch and leave one truck. When we got back at 12:30 to get back in our climbers which we left our orange vest tied(around 6 or 7 feet high) to someone had parked right next to our truck. As I start climbing the tree some arsehole starts waving his orange vest at me about 80 yards away. I flipped him the bird and got down to move out of his sight and nobody saw a deer.

If the only option I had was to hunt deer on public land I would go back to bird hunting.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #29
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy100 View Post
Similar story happened on me some years ago. Then, I hunt alone on public land after that season. This lesson is not about who harvests a game, it is about the trust and respect.
This right here. Trust and respect.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #30
Larry
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes there are. I can send you pics...

Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I hunt with me, my self, and I. We really like the way we hunt together. We all have similar hunting styles and ideas. And we all use the same type of equipment on any given hunt, share info with each other (no secrets), like the same camp foods, and have a grand time together. We couldn't ask for better hunting partners.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #32
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

We forgot to add the .
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #33
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Brother, uncle, and cousin.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #34
Redbone
Four Point

Hunt In: TX & MO

It's sad but it always happens. I quit helping others on public land years ago because it always ends up happening. Last year, knowing better I helped a buddy who was taking his young son hunting. They had been there for 4 days and hadn't seen a deer, so I brought them to an area where I had been seeing a lot of deer and only asked that he not share the spot with anyone else. Two weeks later he was back in the same spot with 3 of his other buddies. I knew better , that's what you get for being nice on public land. Scout hard, cover lots of ground and put in the time. That's the easy part. Keeping what you find a secret, that's the hard part. People you know will go out of their way to find where you are hunting at instead of putting in the work themselves.

Last edited by Redbone; 08-04-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #35
osochuck
Four Point

Loose lips sink ships, donít forget to turn off gps for the trophy shot.

New to hunting public land but same goes for fishing.

osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #36
osochuck
Four Point

And my son, is who i hunt & fish with, thank God he wants to now.

osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #37
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
yes there are. I can send you pics...

:d
shhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #38
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
It's sad but it always happens. I quit helping others on public land years ago because it always ends up happening. Last year, knowing better I helped a buddy who was taking his young son hunting. They had been there for 4 days and hadn't seen a deer, so I brought them to an area where I had been seeing a lot of deer and only asked that he not share the spot with anyone else. Two weeks later he was back in the same spot with 3 of his other buddies. I knew better , that's what you get for being nice on public land. Scout hard, cover lots of ground and put in the time. That's the easy part. Keeping what you find a secret, that's the hard part. People you know will go out of their way to find where you are hunting at instead of putting in the work themselves.
exactly, Only 2 guys i know now that id trust with my info
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #39
Low Fence
Pope & Young

As far as duck hunting goes I’ve been burned a bunch and now almost refuse public duck hunting. Deer wise, first thing I did was got the $&@% out of Texas. A small group of us picked a random spot... got lost and found a random public access at about 10 pm ( this was about 20 years ago) unloaded 2 canoes in dark and started a 5 day survival hunt. We all killed animals. And continued to hunt together years after. 5 yers in we moved camp sights and met some “locals”. They were 3x as loud as us and drank about the same. By mid afternoon the first day I had decided we would either fight them or join them. After an evening campfire and a few drinks we joined company. For 20 years those “locals” have become some of my best friend I’ve had in a lifetime. We hunt every year together. I’ve learned more with my time with them than I could have hoped in a lifetime. They are truely the greatest hunters and woodsman I’ve ever seen and took me (a stranger) in as one of their own. I’ve hunted their stands and killed deer as well as drug theirs miles out of swamps. I’ll go to my grave before I revealed one of their spots or hunted one without them knowing I’d be there.

It is what you make it. I love it... but I bow hunt (the rifle and muzzle stuff is too much for me). I see people but never an issue and all have been 100% positive encounters as long as your out of Texas
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #40
J Loves Huntin
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Agreed been public hunting for almost 15 years and while bird hunting is not too bad on public the public deer hunt can be a mad house. If you are not willing to walk 5 miles to the back away from everyone you will often be crowded out.
J Loves Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #41
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
Sounds like a lesson learned, unfortunately, the hard way.

I am confused by the amount of information that is posted on public forums about public hunting locations. I have NEVER seen anything good come from it. As they say, loose lips sink ships.

With today’s technology, you have to even watch posting pictures on public forums, as they can be imbedded with GPS coordinates.

Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-05-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #42
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Sounds like a lesson learned, unfortunately, the hard way.

I am confused by the amount of information that is posted on public forums about public hunting locations. I have NEVER seen anything good come from it. As they say, loose lips sink ships.
No doubt. Live and learn. More so be leary of the company you keep.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #43
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I feel your pain but couldn't resist posting this.
Attached Images

Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #44
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I don't hunt much public land and haven't in years but it's the same way with fishing. Tell one guy and there's 10 boats there next time you go out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #45
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Just funny, there is a brand new thread on here about Fannin Lake.

I don’t have a dog in the hunt on that place, and don’t plan to, but cringe every time I see a thread started like that. I feel sorry for those who do try to hunt there.

Even though it isn’t specific info, it brings open public interest to an area that might have not even been a consideration.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #46
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch66 View Post
I feel your pain but couldn't resist posting this.
exactly.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #47
CEO
Ten Point

I'd rather take the time and help a buddy find his own honey holes than take him to mine. Same concept as being his wingman at the bar or just loaning him your wife for the night.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #48
11B
Four Point

Hunt In: Lamar County and anywhere else I can

I started hunted back in 2015 (I know I got a late start) and I've been by myself for all of it except 4 months. I hunted with a good buddy while living in Tennessee and learned a lot from him. Now im back in Texas and back on my own. There are times I wish I had a buddy to pick my brain on spots or whose brain I could pick but sometimes I like not having to worry about potentially pissing someone off because they think I stole "their spot." I personally will guide people in a general direction whether it be a WMA or a terrain feature they should look for on a map in an area. I enjoy helping people as much as I can and if I do get burned, than so be it. I have a clear conscious and will move on to somewhere else. Plus I feel like it might give me some good karma and lord knows I could use plenty of that. now Im not gonna give people an 8 digit grid and tell them to go here at this time, but I will lend a helping hand. Its the least I can do because Ive had so few actually lend me a hand starting out so I know what it is like. I apologize if this seems like im rambling ha. Guess what Im trying to say is, if I see someone struggling I'll help them, help themselves. Give them a little guidance and let them take it from there. Plus I know so little I feel like so if they're getting help me from...I feel sorry for the poor sucker LOL
11B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #49
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
I'd rather take the time and help a buddy find his own honey holes than take him to mine. Same concept as being his wingman at the bar or just loaning him your wife for the night.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #50
ArcheryAssassin
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B View Post
I started hunted back in 2015 (I know I got a late start) and I've been by myself for all of it except 4 months. I hunted with a good buddy while living in Tennessee and learned a lot from him. Now im back in Texas and back on my own. There are times I wish I had a buddy to pick my brain on spots or whose brain I could pick but sometimes I like not having to worry about potentially pissing someone off because they think I stole "their spot." I personally will guide people in a general direction whether it be a WMA or a terrain feature they should look for on a map in an area. I enjoy helping people as much as I can and if I do get burned, than so be it. I have a clear conscious and will move on to somewhere else. Plus I feel like it might give me some good karma and lord knows I could use plenty of that. now Im not gonna give people an 8 digit grid and tell them to go here at this time, but I will lend a helping hand. Its the least I can do because Ive had so few actually lend me a hand starting out so I know what it is like. I apologize if this seems like im rambling ha. Guess what Im trying to say is, if I see someone struggling I'll help them, help themselves. Give them a little guidance and let them take it from there. Plus I know so little I feel like so if they're getting help me from...I feel sorry for the poor sucker LOL
I totally understand and that is Exactly what i did. This guy took it upon himself to access a stamd he wasnt shown but knew the location of via sharing a pin on google maps. My other friends had the same info . I always let friends know where im at for safety reasons. Some people are just users though.