Started My Flatbed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
    I wouldn't put a channel in it. They're pretty inconvenient if you ask me. Just a trap door for your gooseneck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what Im thinking.

I was thinking today that I might should have rethought the tapered tail because I don't know if I can get 4-wheeler ramps on it with that taper to it. Didn't think about that until this afternoon. Usually I just use a golf cart on a trailer, but as I don't have a car any more, I was going to use a little Suzuki 250, but I will have to figure out a way to get the ramps to sit on the bed first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
      Seriously? Its tied in with 2 pieces of 2x4 tubing and a piece of 4" channel. You don't think that would be strong enough? How else would you brace it? I want to make sure its gonna hold what I put behind it.

I plan on adding some to the receiver tube itself to add strength and a place for safety chains. Gonna try putting the rosebud to it next week to see if we cant straighten it out. May have to make some relief cuts around the receiver tube so it doesn't distort.
      Put a hydraulic bottle jack on that channel iron and block it up to the frame above. Use it to straighten that channel...THEN...put some heat on it. She should lay right back down.

Comment

Seriously? Its tied in with 2 pieces of 2x4 tubing and a piece of 4" channel. You don't think that would be strong enough? How else would you brace it? I want to make sure its gonna hold what I put behind it.

I plan on adding some to the receiver tube itself to add strength and a place for safety chains. Gonna try putting the rosebud to it next week to see if we cant straighten it out. May have to make some relief cuts around the receiver tube so it doesn't distort.
        The last bed I had Had a piece of 3/8 plate welded to the back of the drop down and bolted in where your 3 bolts hold the bed to the frame.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good can't wait to see it finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Put a hydraulic bottle jack on that channel iron and block it up to the frame above. Use it to straighten that channel...THEN...put some heat on it. She should lay right back down.
            Originally posted by Osceola View Post
            The last bed I had Had a piece of 3/8 plate welded to the back of the drop down and bolted in where your 3 bolts hold the bed to the frame.
            That's the plan. Both of them. Im gonna try to get the channel straightened, but Im not sure how much I will get out of it since its already welded pretty solid on the outsides. Not sure how much those pieces of tubing will let it move, but we are gonna give it a shot.

That plate you makre out is on my to-do list. I will be adding another mount on the outside of the truck frame to sandwich the frame and tie into the hitch. Im also thinking about adding to the existing mount and tying it to the hitch as well Should give plenty of lateral support and some extra strength when towing.
            Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-18-2016, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Awesome work.

Comment

Well, unfortunately as of right now the motor for the compressor has not showed up yet, so no noticeable progress today. I did however get the last floor brace in and I think I have the fuel filler neck figured out.

Comment

That's what Im thinking.

I was thinking today that I might should have rethought the tapered tail because I don't know if I can get 4-wheeler ramps on it with that taper to it. Didn't think about that until this afternoon. Usually I just use a golf cart on a trailer, but as I don't have a car any more, I was going to use a little Suzuki 250, but I will have to figure out a way to get the ramps to sit on the bed first.
                  Load it side ways. Gives you more room for coolers and stuff anyways. If its a small 4 wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                    Load it side ways. Gives you more room for coolers and stuff anyways. If its a small 4 wheeler.
                    Well, I could, but the fixed side boards might pose another issue. I thought about making the side boards fold over, but they would interfere with my fenders, and I don't want to cut the fenders back out and reengineer them.

On a positive note, I did get MOST of the bow out of the rear channel. Couldn't get it all without cutting the whole thing loose and starting over, but Im within 1/8" now.

Comment

The Bradford Bed has fold down sides.I could get you some close up pics if you want.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, but my fenders are 2" from the deck, and the side rail is 4" tall. That doesn't allow enough room for the side to lay down properly.

Comment

Progress!

Spent most of the morning getting the new motor on the air compressor and getting it going right again. Then what was supposed to be a 10 minute job ended up taking all day. Good news is that the headache rack is tacked in and stable. Bad news is I realized after we got it up there that I may not like it. We laid it out on the floor using measurements I took earlier, and it didn't turn out quite like I envisioned once I got it on the truck. I think its a little bulky, but Im out of the tubing I need to rebuild it, and it would take too much time that we don't have. Still wondering how Im gonna get this thing back on the truck without scratching the paint (on the bed) once its done.

Comment

After some further research, I don't think it looks any different than half the marketed single wheel flatbeds out there. I think it will look better once I get the horizontal bar on it and plate the front.

Comment

I think the difference between a good home built bed and a factory made are the details like that. Not knocking on it at all, but if it were me I would take the time to redo the headache rack and make it follow the lines of the cab.

Comment

Well, we got everything done that is dependent on the truck for design. Got the bed off and ready for final welding. Got the sides cut and fitted. Toolboxes are in the works. All the hardware is present and ready for install. Maybe we can get some paint on it by end of next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X