Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sides

A thread dedicated to not the main course but SIDES! What are some of your favorite sides and their recipes?

Stewed squash

2 yellow squash
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    2 cups water
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 yellow onion
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Cut squash into 1/2" rounds. Chop onion and garlic. Sauté onion/garlic/Italian seasoning in olive oil. When onion is near translucent add squash cooking it for a few minutes. Add stewed tomatoes and water. Cook squash to desired tenderness. Salt/pepper to taste. I like to add crushed red pepper for a little extra kick.

Comment

Just made some cabbage last night.
      1 pot
      1 link of your favorite link sausage cut into bite size pieces
      1 onion cut into strips
      2 potatos sliced with a little salt and pepper
      1 head of cabbage

Layer in that order and pour in a can of beer. I prefer Bud Light.
      Steam until done.
      Can be a good side but even better by itself.

Comment

Tagged for all the goodness to follow.

Comment

Tagged... Need a hearty side to go with a Chicken and Rice dish for a group of eight hog hunters next weekend... I am already serving green beans seasoned with simmered onion and bacon.

Comment

I like Stickman's Squash dish. can't wait to try it !!

Comment

Cheesy Cornbread Pudding - let me dig up my recipie

Comment

Cover some baby carrots in maple syrup, bake until ready... Easy and delicious

Comment

Sauteed green beans:

big can of Italian cut green beans (that's the wide flat ones)
                  1lb peppered bacon
                  diced onion (you get to decide how much)
                  salt
                  pepper
                  garlic powder
                  Tony's or other cajun/creole seasoning

Chop bacon into small pieces, then fry in large cast iron skillet. Once some of the bacon grease starts to render out, toss in your onions and sautee until opaque and/or the bacon is done to your liking. Strain liquid off of green beans and pour them into skillet. Season to taste.

Mac and Cheese:

Elbow macaroni
                  pint of half and half
                  1/2 pound of Velveeta cut into small cubes or thin slices
                  1/4 pound of Sharp cheddar

Boil your pasta until it's done, strain and set aside. In medium stock pot, warm the half and half slowly (you don't want to scorch it) until it's steaming but not boiling, stirring constantly. Add Velveeta a little at a time, continuing to stir until it's all in there and melted. You can add more Velveeta if it's not creamy looking, but it should be after 1/2 pound, it'll be thin, but not watery, about the consistency of cheap packaged white gravy. Remove from heat. Place pasta into a 9x13 pan and pour cheese sauce over it and mix well. Sprinkle cheddar over it in an even layer. Place in oven at 325 until cheddar is melted. Remove from oven and serve hot.

Perfect cream gravy, every time:

1/4 cup grease (use the leftover grease from frying your steaks, bacon grease, whatever, it's better than fresh vegetable oil, but vegetable oil will work also)
                  1/4 cup flour (I like to use the seasoned flour left over after flouring my steaks, but you can use fresh clean flour and add salt and pepper to taste if you prefer)
                  1 cup hot water
                  1 cup milk
                  Salt, pepper, garlic etc to taste

Over medium high heat, preferably in the same skillet you just chicken fried your backstraps in, with the leftover stuff that fell off while cooking, put your grease back in and heat it up again (shouldn't be too cool yet anyway, you just cooked with it) then dump your flour in. Stir well, until all flour and grease are mixed up. For a thinner gravy, you'll want this slurry to be a thick liquid, for thicker gravy, you might need to add a little flour, I like to make it into a thick, but not dry paste in the skillet. Continue stirring and cooking the grease/flour mixture until you start to smell a nutty, ALMOST burnt smell, then pour the water and milk in (they can be in the same measuring cup at the same time, I measure them together for a total of 2 cups of liquid) and stir, stir, stir until the water/milk mixture and the flour/grease mixture are well blended and no lumps appear while stirring. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. It will thicken as it cools, but it can be served right away.

Comment

simple and easy ... bruschetta on a sliced baguette and topped with smoked provolone

very simple and makes great side groceries

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=289498

Comment

CHEESY POTATOES O'BRIEN

1 pkg. frozen potatoes O'Brien
                      1 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
                      1 can cream of chicken soup
                      1 c. sour cream
                      1/4 c. milk

Mix potatoes and cheese. Mix soup, sour cream and milk. Add to potatoes.

Add the rest of the cheese on top half way through.

Super simple and tasty.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes at 350°F.

Comment

Use the recipe above and switch out hash browns for the potatoes for a hash brown casserole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          simple and easy ... bruschetta on a sliced baguette and topped with smoked provolone

very simple and makes great side groceries

Don't be stingy. I know you have more

Comment

Corn Casserole

1 can whole corn
                            1 can cream corn
                            1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
                            1/2 cup finely chopped onion
                            1/4 cup fine chopped pickled jalapeños (nacho peppers)
                            2/3 cup evaporated milk
                            1 egg
                            1/2 c melted butter
                            1TBSP sugar
                            1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
                            3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese for the top
                            Mixed all ingredients except 3/4 c cheese for the top. Place on a baking dish, covering it with remaining cheese.
                            Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Comment

^^^^ Love me some Corn Casserole....

Comment

Working...
                              X