Hunting around a feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    man Jason you're on a roll this evening!! Just think, in about 6 months we can all start bashing you and those hapless Rangers...

Searching for middle finger smiley..

Comment

The King Ranch has more brush than Nebraska, South Dakota, Kansas and Oklahoma combined.
      Our deer are not stacked up in small brushy areas like yours are.
      Nebraska hunting is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampyMarsh View Post
        I'm not at all trying to start a fight, I am really curious why they wouldn't want more of a fair fight. I am also from Nebraska where you can't bait or hunt over a feeder
        Hunt your ducks with a slingshot instead of a shotgun,and not over water but rather find a fly way if you really want a challenge and wait on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Folks act like sitting over a feeder is some kind of guarantee. If that is the case, I'd have 10 trophies on my wall (1 for every year) from my current bow only lease. I can assure you that is not the case.....not even close.

Now that I think about back on all the work we do driving monthly to semi-monthly 10 hour round trips all season to keep corn feeders filled one 50lb sack at a time, 3 strand bales of alfalfa loaded in hay feeders, water totes filled, feed pens repaired, mesquites, cedars and prickly pears cut back and boxes and blinds maintained, I'm thinking scouting some farmer's ag field one-two days out of the year with binos and a cold beer and then setting up a single climber or tree stand at their entry and exit to hunt is the way to go. Hell there is nothing to that. Man I have been doing it harder and much more expensive all this time...

Does anybody know a farmer in the Christoval/Angelo area that grows corn or beans in the rocks and prickly pear cactus of West Texas? I know thats gotta be tough on their equipment but I'm looking for easier hunting..
          This is beside the point of the thread, but probably worth mentioning since I feel your comment was directed at my previous post.

I will say that its probably just a tad more difficult to take care of a farm year round than it is to drive 5 hours to dump corn in a bucket.

I’ll also admit that I don’t know much about hunting in West Texas. I might be missing something, I don’t know. My guess is that you probably don’t know much about hunting in Randolph county, either. That’s why I find this site interesting. You get a lot of different perspectives.

Comment

Why do you put out decoys for ducks? Shouldn't you just hunt over a duck trail (jk) or just find their natural food source, set up there and hope one comes by?

Comment

It’s obvious...folks from Nebraska have corn cobbs up their butts.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                It’s obvious...folks from Nebraska have corn cobbs up their butts.

Skinny
                AKA corn holes.

Comment

I am sure in Nabraska you hunt some kind of a food plot, trail to or from one. That food plot was planted there to attract deer. So weather it's a hand full , bucket full of corn or two acres of corn, soybeans, brassica what ever, it was put there for the same reason. To attract, and kill deer at. For those that say it's much harder to hunt a food plot, and more time and money was put into it. It ain't much harder once they are patterned to find out we're they are coming and leaving a food plot either. And many don't have the means or property to plant a food plot. Plus with a food plot you can " feed" a lot more deer around the clock. Feeders and hand corn are just " planting" a lot smaller area.
                  And I live in Colorado and we can't bait here either. And I used to think it was cheating to do so. We went to Texas to hunt pigs and javelina and were told to use corn, we didn't like the idea and decided to not use it. It was about impossible to find one , let alone and get within bow range before they would wonder off into the thick brush. The next year we used corn, and it was a blessing. Changed my whole idea about " baiting". Reason I don't bait deer down there, can't afford it, or I would. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                    Or punctuate
                    Theirs just a few people on this fourum that could post that without getting hail. I've been wanting too for a long time butt I thought Id miss spell something in my post.

Comment

Because They Can

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                        This is beside the point of the thread, but probably worth mentioning since I feel your comment was directed at my previous post.

I will say that its probably just a tad more difficult to take care of a farm year round than it is to drive 5 hours to dump corn in a bucket.

I’ll also admit that I don’t know much about hunting in West Texas. I might be missing something, I don’t know. My guess is that you probably don’t know much about hunting in Randolph county, either. That’s why I find this site interesting. You get a lot of different perspectives.
                        But not all of us have the luxury of taking care of our own farm. Why do you use tractors when you could do it by hand. And your planting food plots that will attract deer( maybe even corn) easier to plant a plot if you have tractor And you don't have to drive far to get there, so really no need for a vehical, especially if it's under five hours. It's all about our means, convince, and time. A lot of us that have to drive( 5 hours) don't get to hunt everyday or even once every week. Maybe only a weekend a year. So we just " plant" smaller food plots, that's really all it is, seed on the ground.
                        Last edited by critter69; 11-02-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Hunting around a feeder?

So you are a farmer? Or do you hunt somebody else's work?

If you are a farmer do you plant solely for deer.. or do you do the farming to provide for your family like the rest of us do with our everyday job. If that's the case then hunting is just a byproduct of your real job so technically no extra work is put in for deer hunting that wouldn't be put in for normal farming practices.

I’ll also admit that I don’t know much about hunting in West Texas. I might be missing something, I don’t know. My guess is that you probably don’t know much about hunting in Randolph county, either
                          Which is exactly while I don't turn my nose up or badmouth other folks styles of hunting. Unless they start badmouthing mine and I'll start laying comparisons for them.
                          Last edited by Smart; 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

The hunting shows do some damage wrt hunting over feeders....you can watch and they are blasting big deer in 5 minutes under a feeder....you go anywhere out west hunting and when any of the local hunters find out you are from Texas you will here some of the comments about hunting high fence and corn feeders....who cares...I just laugh and say private land and our rules.

to state that hunting in Nebraska / Iowa is like fishing in a barrel is truly the voice of inexperience.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                              Why do you put out decoys for ducks? Shouldn't you just hunt over a duck trail (jk) or just find their natural food source, set up there and hope one comes by?
                              Or iam sure he's on one of the flyways, wich means ducks are migrating through, probably in large numbers. Don't see a need for decoys either

Comment

I hunt wearing nothing but a loin cloth and the massive amount of body hair that God gave me, using a stick and string that I fashioned from rabbit guts, and an arrowhead I shaped from a rock that I tied to a stick with the leftover rabbit gut string. Screw you shotgun, rifle, compound bow, food plot, feeder cheaters. I do it the hard way. I'm better than you fellers

good grief...I'm gonna sit with my feet up this weekend, and see what happens to trot past me. If it's a decent buck, I'll shoot him from 200 yards away on the hill overlooking the creek pasture. Or possibly climb my fat butt up in a tree in the National Forest and hope an old bruiser cruises thru the woods. Will either make me better than anyone else? Nope...at least not from comparing my euro mounts to a crapload of the bucks that have already been posted on social media this year but I'll congratulate every successful deer killer (not sure they can be called hunters anymore) for their kills, and I'll be happy as heck with whatever I happen to kill. And won't lose an ounce of sleep over what someone else kills or how they kill it

Comment

Working...
                                X