Planting trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting trees

Our 63 acres in southern eastland county is pretty open and we were thinking about planting some trees to provide more cover. What would grow fast and well out there?

I would take the approach of what trees would provide the most benefit instead of what grows faast. I would have a mixture of fruit and Hardwoods. Contact your ag extension agent and ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      I would take the approach of what trees would provide the most benefit instead of what grows faast. I would have a mixture of fruit and Hardwoods. Contact your ag extension agent and ask him.
      we have alot of oaks that drop pleanty of acorns in the middle of the property, just looking to make a few more areas thicker

Comment

Did they cancel school today?

Comment

Originally posted by sansaba View Post
          Did they cancel school today?
          nope i had a fever yesterday and last night

Comment

I'd plant some shrubs that won't get very big yet have a nice base so the deer have someting to rub on during rut!

Comment

I would look into the Arizona Cypress if it will grow there. They grow fairly fast, are thick like cedars but don't drink near the water cedar does. I plan on planting a few at our place in the Hill Country to see how the wildlife react to it.

Comment

I would plant trees that would double as a food source, Texas Oak - Spanish Oak or Plum, etc... What about bedding areas? Look into switchgrass, klein grass or bluestem. Switchgrass looks good. We are planting bedding areas next to large field and funnels. Attract deer and hold deer, is our goal on our place.

Comment

Sawtooth oaks will start producing acorns in as little as five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                    Sawtooth oaks will start producing acorns in as little as five years.
                    X2 that would be my first choice, after they start dropping acorns you can collect them and plant the viable ones.

Comment

Read this link, it's long, towards the end it will breakdown trees, shrubs and plants. I dont know about how fast they will grow, but this will tell you what works in your area.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...w7000_1017.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                        Read this link, it's long, towards the end it will breakdown trees, shrubs and plants. I dont know about how fast they will grow, but this will tell you what works in your area.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...w7000_1017.pdf
                        thanks

Comment

shop.mossyoak.com has oak trees medium <8" for $2.49 and large >8" for $3.49

Comment

thanks!

Comment

X3 on the sawtooth. It's a faster growing oak tree and you can plant the thing over an array of soil types.

If I were going to plant them, I would make sure and get seedlings that were already 2'=3' tall and make sure I surrounded these seedlings with something in order to protect them.

Comment

Working...
                              X