Lake Athens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Athens

We are heading there this weekend for a family reunion. The wife wants to take our boat and try our luck at fishing. Never been there in my life and have zero clue of what to even begin to target there. Any tips would be appreciated! I am not looking for your spots or your secrets, just some general guidance. I haven't fished a freshwater lake in 20 years so anything would be good. Would really like to catch some crappie, but don't even know where to begin.

Get on Texas fishing forum look up chasinbass he seems to know where they are at on Athens !

Comment

Some good YouTube videos of lake Athens fishing.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

its loaded with black crappie, but its a small lake and gets lots of pressure. find brush piles @ 20' and you'll pick up some crappie. plastics or hand tied jigs both work good and of course minners! only one public ramp and it'll be crowded on a Saturday. good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, this at least gives me a starting point!

Comment

i wish this discussion would go on for a bit. let us know what you learn hockley.

Comment

As others have said, find brush piles and you'll find tons of crappie. Lots and lots of piles are near the ends of boat docks and you'll find more inside the no ski protected coves.

For bass fishing, they should be schooling esrly in the morning by the dam. Smash em with a topwater

Comment

Start down by the island near the ****. Several good long points on and around it. Any long main lake point should have a little grass on it and hold both bass and crappie. Easy lake to learn but does get hammered.

Comment

Grass and pads everywhere, black bass can be found schooling early morning. Drop shot or wacky rig can produce bass in grass or edges. Crappie you will have to graph brush, can usually find some out in front of boat docks.

Comment

Let us know how you do! I've been saying I was gonna go crappie fish there for years but never have. So many lakes so little time!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                      We are heading there this weekend for a family reunion. The wife wants to take our boat and try our luck at fishing. Never been there in my life and have zero clue of what to even begin to target there. Any tips would be appreciated! I am not looking for your spots or your secrets, just some general guidance. I haven't fished a freshwater lake in 20 years so anything would be good. Would really like to catch some crappie, but don't even know where to begin.
                      Originally posted by Slew View Post
                      Let us know how you do! I've been saying I was gonna go crappie fish there for years but never have. So many lakes so little time!

How did the fishing turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        How did the fishing turn out?
                        Very poor effort was given! We only caught one crappie. Fished for bass in a cove for about an hour one evening and caught about a 4lb and a smaller bass on a frog. I think a person could catch some nice bass there if they knew what they were doing.

Very enjoyable lake though. For a holiday weekend it wasn't all that crowded.

Comment

Rattletrap and spinner baits are all just fine..
                          But if you aint flipping jigs your wasting your time..
                          No help for Athens..

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                            Rattletrap and spinner baits are all just fine..
                            But if you aint flipping jigs your wasting your time..
                            No help for Athens..
                            Yeah, well...what do you know about bass fishing?

Wait! Is that YOU in your avatar?

Comment

Working...
                            X