FOC Skinny's or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOC Skinny's or Not

So I went to the TAC San Antonio and broke 7 of my new arrows and lost 2. I am looking at building some high FOC arrows to try out. I have always been an Easton guy with either the FMJ's or the Axis, but I am not married to Easton. Help me build the perfect arrow. This arrow will be used primarily for hunting. It should be capable of taking Elk. I will most likely be shooting Iron Will, QAD Exxodous, or RMS Cutthroat broadheads. My previous arrows were Axis 260, 30.5 carbon to carbon, standard 16 grain insert, 125 head, 3 blaser vanes, 4" wrap, nocturnal x nock 20 grains. Terrible FOC and I cut them too long, but they flew and grouped great out to 95 yards.

My specs are:
    Hoyt Defiant 34
    70 lb limbs maxed out
    29.5 draw length

What I am looking for in an arrow:
    Strength and Rigidity
    FOC
    Micro Diameter ???
    A minimum of .003 straightness
    Lighted nock
    The ability to clear my sight without fletching contact out to at least 100 yards

not 100% complete. but its close enough for you to look at.

Comment

this is just looking at spine. don't worry about what shaft.
      Attached Files

Comment

So would it be better (higher FOC) to put a 200 grain head with a standard insert or to do like the bottom example with 125 grain head with 100 grain insert?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
          So would it be better (higher FOC) to put a 200 grain head with a standard insert or to do like the bottom example with 125 grain head with 100 grain insert?
          all depends on what you want. if you have your eye on a good 100 to 125 gr head then look at a 100 gr. inserts ethic archery makes great inserts. look at the static ones. i do not recommend there spinning inserts.

Comment

enewman, I enjoy reading your post on arrow build and it raises a question for me. I’m settingup an Elite Synergy with 29” draw and 65# limbs. Plan on shooting it at max poundage. I have Axis 300 match grade arrows uncut and some 100 grain static Ethics inserts with 100 grain broadheads using 7” vinyl wraps and 3 Blazers. What length on arrow end of carbon to throat of nock and how much of the 100 grain inserts would you recommend? I want heavy arrows with optimal FOC and not worried about speed. Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations.

Comment

I’m going to recommend what I shoot.
              Victory RIP elite, 300 spine, with 60 grain stainless shock half out. Cut them to 28” for your draw length, and 4 fletch with blazers. You will be right at 435-440 grains with 15% FOC.

Comment

here is just a look at things. this will not be exact. its just for a reference. but you got some growing room. you could add even more tip weight and even cut arrow a little. and then add even more tip weight. personally I think 550 is a good weight. foc is low for what I do but there is nothing wrong with this at all. this would be a good taw arrow.
                Attached Files

Comment

here is a look at that victory rip
                  Attached Files

Comment

here is what a blackeagle carnivore would look like. again just examples and ideals. any questions just ask

eric
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks enewman and Ttechhunter!

Comment

One more question. I just remembered I also have some uncut Axis 340 Camo shafts at 10.3 grains per inch. Would this be a better arrow to use at my poundage and draw length?

Comment

Black Eagle Carnivores! I shoot a 70# Obsession Def Con 6 at 29" with a 28" .250 spine with 150 grains rear insert weights and a 100 grain head that is 595 grains with 19%+ FOC. A hard hitter with forgiveness, accuracy and quietness. Just my 2 cents!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy_seeker View Post
                            One more question. I just remembered I also have some uncut Axis 340 Camo shafts at 10.3 grains per inch. Would this be a better arrow to use at my poundage and draw length?
                            I would stay with the 300

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                              I would stay with the 300
                              OK. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X