Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time Archery elk hunter equipment help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Archery elk hunter equipment help.

So I will be going on my first ever archery elk hunt this year and I’m in a bit of a panic as far as my equipment goes so I was wanting to get some opinions / advice on the best route to take. I am currently shooting a Mathews NoCam 28” draw and 70lb limbs so obviously not the fastest bow out there, my arrows are black eagle carnivores with 100gr heads they weigh in at a measly 345 grains so roughly 150 grains shy of what I’ve seen recommended for elk so my question is do I need to change my entire setup where do I pickup another 150 grains and is it necessary? I shoot the bow well and can’t really afford to upgrade before the hunt so does anyone have a good arrow broadhead combo that would be sufficient?

My opinion is that you can get by with a 450 grain arrow. You don't say what spine your arrows are but almost surely that will change if you add 150 gr. on the front end. You should probably go to a heavier GPI arrow, as well as a heavier head/insert combination.

Comment

A bunch of the guys here can give you some great insight! I can tell you that I killed mine with only a 26 inch draw set at about 63 pounds. The rest I really couldn’t tell you other than I used 100 grain 4 blade muzzies. You make a good shot on that massive plywood size target and it will go down. I’ve killled bear, mule deer, elk, hogs, whitetail and others. Make a good shot and your setup will work.

Comment

Accuracy most important, I used my maxima red, but changed to 125 fix blade, best accuracy. Gotta double lung them, take out only one and they will go for miles.

Comment

Guys use light weight high speed rigs and others use heavy hard hitting slower rigs.

Its all about shot placement . The target on a elk is large I am going heavier this year . in the past Got my cow and it did the job short track but that really was the perfect shot she stood broad side at 37 yards . I feel that a bit extra weight on elk is not a bad thing Deer are soft so just about anything works for them

RAT set up a arrow for my elk hunt this fall Moving to get the items now

Comment

IMHO You should go with a little heavier arrow for elk. Speed is not an issue like WT

Comment

4.9 gpp sucks but will kill...or simply injure. Are you pushin that arrow 310ish fps? I think you might punch one shoulder blade but not both even inside 20yds. Good luck on the hunt.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 07-14-2018, 12:13 AM. Reason: GoodHuntSpake

Comment

Don’t know about elk, but I can tell you arrow weight is your friend. I went from a 390 go arrow to a 470 and couldn’t be happier. WT jump the string less for me, and I can blow through pigs with ease.

I’ll be chasing elk next year with a 470-500 grain arrow. All depends on what tunes and flies best out of my bow.

Comment

Go heavier for sure. Get Rat or Muddy to set you up some arrows for your hunt. If you are shooting 70#'s, you are actually a shade under 5 gpp and to me that ain't good for elk.

Comment

Ist thing I would recommend is go to 125bh. If hunting Colorado that's required. Not sure about other states. Next whatever arrow you choose be sure to practise out to 70 or so yrds. Your fletchings might need some adjustments at that distance.

Comment

Go to a pet store. Find the plastic tubing they sell for water pumps on fish tanks, and get one with a diameter that will barely fit down the inside of your arrows. Buy enough to shove full length pieces of that down your current arrows from the nock end. See how much heavier your arrows are. It "should" effect the drop, but not the side to side tune. The extra weight won't impact the spine as it is distributed evenly. Then see if you can bump up to 125 gr broadheads. I'd recommend Magnus Stingers as a good, economically priced elk head.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
                        Ist thing I would recommend is go to 125bh. If hunting Colorado that's required. Not sure about other states. Next whatever arrow you choose be sure to practise out to 70 or so yrds. Your fletchings might need some adjustments at that distance.
                        Sorry, but you are wrong on this according to the PDF download as of 9:25 tonight from the Colorado Parks and Wildlife site. Only says 35# minimum weight and 2 cutting edges of at least 7/8". Just looked as I thought that had to be new or not true. If it is true, then I cannot find it on their regulations page for handheld bows.

Comment

You can also go with the Black Eagle Carnivore rear insert weights to add weight to the arrow, add FOC to the arrow, but you have to be careful on your spine adding weight to the front of the arrow. Like I said above, get Rat or Muddyfuzzy to fixz you up an arrow that will work for elk in CO. I firmly believe that the arrow you have will work to kill and elk, but it in my opinion is marginal and you need to up your total arrow weight. Do not chance a light weight arrow like you have on an elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Sorry, but you are wrong on this according to the PDF download as of 9:25 tonight from the Colorado Parks and Wildlife site. Only says 35# minimum weight and 2 cutting edges of at least 7/8". Just looked as I thought that had to be new or not true. If it is true, then I cannot find it on their regulations page for handheld bows.
                            I stand corrected, not sure where we got that info but thank you for pointing out the correct info.

Comment

Working...
                            X