My Son's First Bow Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Son's First Bow Kill

As the title states, my son Colby, 13, shot his first animal with his bow on Saturday evening. I excluded the rat he closed out that was trapped in our pop-up because he said, "A rat doesn't count". The way this unfolded was a new one on me so, I thought I'd share the tale.

Like most of us, he experienced his share of trials and tribulations in his first full season of bowhunting. He hit the blind with his arrow and things of that nature. I could sense he was beginning to get discouraged a bit because we couldnt find the right candidate to shoot. "Not him" has been a recurring theme this season.

Saturday evening, we relocated to try something new. We saw a very respectable nine point on the way into the new stand so, we were optimistic about the hunt. We settled in for the hunt and the does flowed in. That is certainly good news this time of year. We had "that doe" in front of us that every deer hunter hates. She was boss of that particular feeder and nothing would eat but her. That just won't stand so, I told him to ready his bow. After her acting like a crack head for 20 minutes, we gave up on her....for that day. Her's is still coming.

A short time later, his buck came in on a mission. Right off, we could see he had only one brow tine and it wasn't much. This was our guy. Colby readied his bow and very quickly, the buck preaented a shot opportunity. Colby drew back and let 'er rip. The shot seemed loud to me so, I don't know if it clipped the blind again but I saw the arrow connect behind the shoulder but low where the white belly and brown hair meet. "Oh, no" was my only thought.

There was very little penetration even at 52# and a Black Eagle Deep Impact arrow. The buck spun and jumped from the large feed pen and about 30 yards outside the pen, the buck began to walk. He had that gut shot way about him though, I knew with certainty, he was not gut shot. I explained the shot to Colby and that the odds of finding this buck were zero. He was, of course, disheatened....again.

Before it got dark, we gave it a look but I expected nothing and that's what we found until where we witnessed the buck's slow walk. We found good sign; dark red heart blood. "Hmm", I thought that was strange. We followed expecting it to lighten but it didn't. The blood got heavier. Then, it dawned on me. When the buck jumped from the pen, that broadhead must have somehow lodged into his heart. This was to be the case.

We tracked for another 20 yards and I saw him piled up under an oak mott. Done deal. We did a happy dance in the field and began the haul out. Back at camp, we had the whole family there for Thankgiving so, they got to experience it as well which was awesome. We hunt with a wonderdul group and they made a great experience just that much more memorable for him with all the congratilatory wishes. To top it off, he shot his buck on my birthday! It was a fun hunt and Colby is one happy bowhunter now addicted for life. Thanks for reading.

Equipment:

Hoyt Powermax, 52#
    Black Eagle Deep Impact 400's
    Tru Ball thumb release
    Rage Injexion broadheads

P.S. I have always sharpened the back of broadhead blades in the off chance this sort of thing happened. It never has but oddly enough, I did not sharpen the backside of these blades. I guess Rage isn't the devil afterall!! 😁

Attached Files

Congrats

Comment

Very nice
      Congrats

Comment

Awesome job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to you and him.

Comment

Congrats to the Young Man!