Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
    2018 Regulations and Information

*NEW THIS YEAR: You are not required to have completed a bowhunter education (BHE) course to be eligible to apply, however you MUST have completed a BHE course before you will be allowed to hunt. Your BHE card must be shown at hunter check-in.
    It sounds like this year they aren't going to make you shoot a test. Looks like you just have to show your card and you're good to go. They're preparing for the TPWD to take over and no more proficiency tests. **that is just my opinion on how they have worded this**

Comment

one other thing just came to mind ..... with this manged through tpwd draw system I would assume the "golden ticket" incentives for doe harvest will be gone. I wonder if they will run an antlerless only segment through tpwd moving forward?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
        It sounds like this year they aren't going to make you shoot a test. Looks like you just have to show your card and you're good to go. They're preparing for the TPWD to take over and no more proficiency tests. **that is just my opinion on how they have worded this**
        looks like proficiency test is still on for 2018, who knows about 2019 and beyond though....

Comment

I guess Gayle got tired of all y'all calling asking her if you were drawn or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
            That's incorrect.

Also in the 2018 Regulation/Information

"Hunter Requirements Proficiency: Successful completion of a proficiency test, dated May 1, 2018 or later, with a score of 80% or more is required. The test must be taken on a standard archery testing course (10-8-5-0 scoring) with no target more than 30 yards and a minimum of 14 targets. A tournament scorecard, signed by a tournament range officer, will suffice as proof of proficiency. "

Comment

One issue I don't know if TPWD would continue is the statement concerning the continuation of the "incentive program". So I'm going to say BS until I see something different.

It would also cause a major shift in when the BowHunters Ed courses are offered, if that would even continue to be a requirement under TPWD in 2019 forward.

Comment

Will TPWD still rotate the units or will they just let them all get shot up? Are there any TPWD draw hunts that rotate units?

Comment

I think TPWD is going to just do the draws. The refuge will still run the hunts. No different than Laguna Atascosa, or Balcones. Units will rotate, the refuge will determine the number of permits and such.

I think its a good question on golden tickets. Will they still exist?

Comment

Hagerman Draw Hunt - new regs

The only thing changing is the application process. Once TPWD does the drawing the results will be turned over to Hagerman. You will be contacted by Hagerman to do your efficiency shoot and submit your fee; then Hagerman will issue the permit. Right now it is not known whether or not preference points will continue or the doe incentive. Everything is still being worked out. This request is coming from above the local level. Most of the other refuges in Texas that have hunts already have TPWD do their drawing process. The US Fish & Wildlife priority is to make our hunts more consistent across the state and offer hunting opportunities to a larger audience.

Comment

It is so weird to me how things have changed over the years. When the Hag hunts started, and for many years thereafter, all you had to do was apply, pass efficiency test and you were in. ALWAYS had spots left over. It was a hidden gem for sure. The internet, social media got the word out and now we are where we are because of it lol. I miss those days. My buddy shot the #3 State record (archery) in the early 90's, after he passed on several good bucks, like 150-160 range!

Comment

At my age I'll never get in again...

Comment

As bad as it was last year..............I still want to get drawn I guess we'll find out how this affects the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntGirl View Post
                            The only thing changing is the application process. Once TPWD does the drawing the results will be turned over to Hagerman. You will be contacted by Hagerman to do your efficiency shoot and submit your fee; then Hagerman will issue the permit. Right now it is not known whether or not preference points will continue or the doe incentive. Everything is still being worked out. This request is coming from above the local level. Most of the other refuges in Texas that have hunts already have TPWD do their drawing process. The US Fish & Wildlife priority is to make our hunts more consistent across the state and offer hunting opportunities to a larger audience.
                            ya thanks. we get it.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntGirl View Post

Works for me! See yall at the H.......sooner or later!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                                As bad as it was last year..............I still want to get drawn I guess we'll find out how this affects the numbers.
                                Maybe if they would stop all the scouting were people aren’t in there everyday for two months before the first draw hunt y’all would have better luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X