Devils River- Dan Allen Hughes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devils River- Dan Allen Hughes

I noticed this year there the Dan Allen Hughes WMA is not available to hunt anyone know why? I hunted it a couple of years ago and it was great hunt.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think TPWD may be looking at liquidating that section of the WMA. Seem to remember one of the biologists at the del norte unit mentioning that when I hunted there two years ago. May be wrong, not sure.

Comment

I was there recently doing a yak trip down the devils. I took out at dan Hughes. The nice fellow who was our shuttle driver mentioned that sometime in the future they were closing the unit to all traffic (to include the shuttle outfitters, or so I understood) so they could grade/level and black top the road on the devilsback .
      The devilsback ridge is quite intimidating, and the road is the skinny, steep and rough.. One car width only. I imagine that is going to be a time endeavor.

I checked tpwd website. Roadwork starts 10/1/2019 and runs through spring 2020.

So there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
        I was there recently doing a yak trip down the devils. I took out at dan Hughes. The nice fellow who was our shuttle driver mentioned that sometime in the future they were closing the unit to all traffic (to include the shuttle outfitters, or so I understood) so they could grade/level and black top the road on the devilsback .
        The devilsback ridge is quite intimidating, and the road is the skinny, steep and rough.. One car width only. I imagine that is going to be a time endeavor.

I checked tpwd website. Roadwork starts 10/1/2019 and runs through spring 2020.

So there you go.
        This makes sense. The year we hunted it snowed the night before the first day of the hunt and the snow melted off the morning we checked in. The road to main office was terrible we had to have 4wheel drive just to get in. the road was was like driving in a creek in place for long distances. Muddy hell and about 11 miles long.

Comment

Sounds like rough going.

Comment

Working...
          X