Free Choice Protein, All Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    Low fence? I used to do all free choice but it got expensive. Now I do timed protein and corn 365 days a year, and see just as much on cams.
    I've got to go to timed protein release. I've got 2 1,000 lb. feeders now and they are averaging about 50 lbs. a day out of both feeders combined. I just ran the numbers at that rate of consumption for a year. It will cost me $3,650 at current usage and pricing. That's crazy for 120 acre low fence place. But all of my neighbors appreciate it. Just none of them are willing to pitch in.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
      This is our first year feeding protein on about 400 acres. We have seen a large improvement in deer numbers and quality of the animals. Our question is about when, or if, we should stop feeding. We don’t want to take away what has obviously been a huge draw for the deer but we also don’t want to get skunked in the stand because they are all eating at midnight. We don’t have timed protein feeders and they aren’t an option right now. Thoughts?
      I have 100 acres and have noticed a huge difference. I don't limit feed but do cut off protein in August and pick back up in December. Just give myself a small financial break.

Comment

Protein and corn 365 if you can. I use to stop the protein in September and start back in May. But now that I keep it going year round I have more bucks through the summer. Which leads to more bucks come October.

Comment

I've tried a lot of different feeder options and by far the best investment I've made was switching to the Hammer Timed Unit. I had a self-feeder with protein and the deer were hammering 1,100 pounds in 2 weeks time. I switched to a timed unit and I can regulate the feed and the bucks always get first dibs. I noticed last year that my bigger bucks would walk right past the corn and hit the protein feeder every time. Seems the become addicted to the protein and I'd hate to see them leave if I took it away or it went dry for a few weeks before I was able to get back out there. My timed feeder now holds just over a ton. I mix a few bags of corn with the protein to insure good flow in the antler growing time of the year and then mix about 30-40% corn with it once antlers are hard horned just to save some $$, but always allowing them access to protein.

I would have saved so much money if I would have went to timed protein units a few years back....you will be ahead of the game in a couple years if you make the switch now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
            Protein and corn 365 if you can. I use to stop the protein in September and start back in May. But now that I keep it going year round I have more bucks through the summer. Which leads to more bucks come October.
            We're leaning on this methodology for now, or until it becomes too much of a financial burden.

Comment

The deer on the left is one that I would like to take this year. He was on camera all last summer then disappeared completely but is back. Hopefully he gives me a chance.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here his is in another few pictures. I think he's ripe for the picking.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes sir. Getting close to time for the freezer. I just hope your neighbors don't get to him before you do!

Comment

Exactly. Low fence small property problems.

Comment

Filled feeders two weeks ago tomorrow. Going back out to see what’s what. It would be best if we started keeping track for consumption rates.
                      Last edited by TXUSMC; 08-22-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                        I've tried a lot of different feeder options and by far the best investment I've made was switching to the Hammer Timed Unit. I had a self-feeder with protein and the deer were hammering 1,100 pounds in 2 weeks time. I switched to a timed unit and I can regulate the feed and the bucks always get first dibs. I noticed last year that my bigger bucks would walk right past the corn and hit the protein feeder every time. Seems the become addicted to the protein and I'd hate to see them leave if I took it away or it went dry for a few weeks before I was able to get back out there. My timed feeder now holds just over a ton. I mix a few bags of corn with the protein to insure good flow in the antler growing time of the year and then mix about 30-40% corn with it once antlers are hard horned just to save some $$, but always allowing them access to protein.

I would have saved so much money if I would have went to timed protein units a few years back....you will be ahead of the game in a couple years if you make the switch now.
                        Defeating the purpose of a protein feeder if not letting them eat as much as they want. More of an attractant

Comment

Free Choice Protein, All Year?

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Defeating the purpose of a protein feeder if not letting them eat as much as they want. More of an attractant

Not true at all. The dominant bucks eat till they are full everyday. They get more protein than before because they know they have limited time to eat. They now have full bellies of protein everyday vs only half the time because the does were draining the feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by TXBRASS; 08-23-2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X