Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #301
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Yea, that means you are not selected at all and no chance of being drawn on 2nd draw.
Per tpwd everybody not draw in 1st round is supposed to be in the 2nd draw...
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #302
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Per tpwd everybody not draw in 1st round is supposed to be in the 2nd draw...
I know. But I’ve been “not selected” and “pending 2nd” on the same hunt on different years. Not sure why or what differentiates it from year to year.
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #303
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
I know. But I’ve been “not selected” and “pending 2nd” on the same hunt on different years. Not sure why or what differentiates it from year to year.
As soon as all permits are accepted it switches to not selected as there is no permits remaining for the 2nd draw.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #304
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
As soon as all permits are accepted it switches to not selected as there is no permits remaining for the 2nd draw.
I don't think thats right, richland creek went immediatly to "not selected" yesterday. All 40 guys paid for their permits immediately?, I don't think so.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #305
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
I don't think thats right, richland creek went immediatly to "not selected" yesterday. All 40 guys paid for their permits immediately?, I don't think so.

NM, it's a gov conspiracy to get your money! Don't trust any of them. And never put in again. (You not putting in will better my chances of being drawn, by one.)
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #306
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: In camo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
As soon as all permits are accepted it switches to not selected as there is no permits remaining for the 2nd draw.
That is true but sometimes you will go straight to “not selected” before the end of the draw date and not to pending. Not sure but that does happen. Has to me on the same hunts on different years
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #307
kornsqueezer
Ten Point
 
kornsqueezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston , Texas
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

We missed out at powder horn exotic.
kornsqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #308
bigchiefj
Six Point
 
bigchiefj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

I emailed TPWD last year about pending second draw and not selected on the draw date. They said it's a decision made by each hunt area manager to allow for a second draw or not.

I don't know why they would not want a second draw for folks not buying permits.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #309
jnd1959
Six Point
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

I would suspect if the draw is oversubscribed due to group size, or if a manager thinks the draw is at max, they may just cut it off. Also may be that they leave some for stand by.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #310
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
I emailed TPWD last year about pending second draw and not selected on the draw date. They said it's a decision made by each hunt area manager to allow for a second draw or not.

I don't know why they would not want a second draw for folks not buying permits.
Hmmm if they list a set # of permits they should do their best to fill them to applicants, I can definitely see the manager @ RC pulling this cr@p, I hope they put these unclaimed to standby but wouldn't surprise me if they didn't...
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #311
Crippl3creek
Spike
 
Crippl3creek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymor31 View Post
I was on one of the archery hunts at Enchanted Rock last year. I think there were 18 of us and they had all of us crammed in the front because they said the back was to dangerous to get to because of the recent flooding. It was a fun little hunt and ran well and I think everyone saw deer. Only 2 deer killed though, both by me. A couple of others got shots but didn’t connect.
Bummer, I drew Enchated Rock this year, read plenty of mixed opinions. Either way, first TPWD hunt I'll be on so still excited!
Crippl3creek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #312
philipolsen
Spike
 
philipolsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: where ever i can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippl3creek View Post
Bummer, I drew Enchated Rock this year, read plenty of mixed opinions. Either way, first TPWD hunt I'll be on so still excited!
I also drew Enchanted Rock this year, definitely looking forward to it
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #313
diamond10x
Ten Point
 
diamond10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helotes
Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties
Default

Drew my first hunt in 18 years of putting in. Beyond excited to say the least! Black Gap Archery Mule Deer for the mid November hunt.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #314
Crippl3creek
Spike
 
Crippl3creek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipolsen View Post
I also drew Enchanted Rock this year, definitely looking forward to it


Congrats, hope to see ya there! Successful or not it should be nice to have bow in hand in one of my favorite parks.
Crippl3creek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #315
philipolsen
Spike
 
philipolsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: where ever i can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippl3creek View Post
Congrats, hope to see ya there! Successful or not it should be nice to have bow in hand in one of my favorite parks.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #316
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point
 
Italianxbowuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: SHNF and Centerville
Default

Finally got time to check mine again, and after 11 years of waiting i was draw for Devils River SNA , January 24-27....never thought that would happen
Italianxbowuser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #317
aarongray
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Default

Any pics of deer taken?
aarongray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #318
harv418
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
I emailed TPWD last year about pending second draw and not selected on the draw date. They said it's a decision made by each hunt area manager to allow for a second draw or not.

I don't know why they would not want a second draw for folks not buying permits.
Every hunt I have been on they have plenty of walk ins to fill the slots.
harv418 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #319
Yakinthebox
Spike
 
Yakinthebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Deer Park, TX
Hunt In: Upper TX Coast
Default

I drew The Chaparral Archery hunt for December 3-6th! Beyond excited. I only put in for that one as a pipe dream. I never thought I'd ever actually draw it! I've read where some people have been putting in for it for 28 years and have never drawn!!!
Yakinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #320
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Spring
Default

Oops. I figured it out.

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 08-21-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #321
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Man the e-postcard hunts are crap this year. I kind of wish I hadn't bought my APH permit already.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #322
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Man the e-postcard hunts are crap this year. I kind of wish I hadn't bought my APH permit already.
Is that the only reason you buy an APH? You know you can see the hunts before buying the permit right? Never mind the hung amount of land it opens up for hunting that you don’t have to be drawn for.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #323
justletmein
Ten Point
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

I've bought one every year since I can remember for the waterfowl hunts, but this year I may be down to only one of those simply due to scheduling and location preference. Had I looked at the options available for the e-postcard hunts prior to purchasing I would likely have saved my money this year, busy year. I even rushed the wife to buy hers so I could apply with her. If I'm in the same situation next year I'll definitely check first. Last year I remember quite a few more options available on the e-postcard hunts.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 PM   #324
RShockley
Eight Point
 
RShockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public Lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I've bought one every year since I can remember for the waterfowl hunts, but this year I may be down to only one of those simply due to scheduling and location preference. Had I looked at the options available for the e-postcard hunts prior to purchasing I would likely have saved my money this year, busy year. I even rushed the wife to buy hers so I could apply with her. If I'm in the same situation next year I'll definitely check first. Last year I remember quite a few more options available on the e-postcard hunts.
Yeah I think we lost a few locations and even some dates on the current locations this season. I’m not sure why. It seems like the cost keeps going up while the opportunity keeps going down.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #325
bossbowman
Ten Point
 
bossbowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShockley View Post
Yeah I think we lost a few locations and even some dates on the current locations this season. I’m not sure why. It seems like the cost keeps going up while the opportunity keeps going down.
They claim the opportunity has gone up but if you analyze it closely thats for the dove hunts, the big game hunts have dwindled every year for the last 15 years, the # archery hunts have taken a massive hit.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com